I know you asked for simple “more watered down” books, but I’d like to mention the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible, New Testament, which is an excellent tool for learning for an adult even without a Christian or Catholic background.
I always feel kind of silly mentioning EWTN, because after 25 years of programming, everyone knows about it, but as a reminder, if your friend has access to cable or satellite, here are a few programs being aired in the next few days that are not particularly for children, but could be enlightening and entertaining for an adult without a Christian background.
St. Rita: Part 2, Wednesday, 01/19/11 @ 1:00PM Eastern
EWTN LIVE, Wednesday(s), @ 8:00PM Eastern (Fr. Mitch Pacwa w/guest) discusses current topics and issues in the Catholic church.
Father John Corapi, Saturday(s), @ 10:00PM is always dynamic as he discusses the Catechism, Gospels, Devotions, Prayers, his own conversion story, to audiances with non-Christians as well as Christians and Catholics. He always manages to get the basics in. If there is something very Catholic, like a devotion to the Blessed Mother, he explains so that all will be able to understand. I’m sure you’ve heard him. Everyone has at this point.
Not to demean your friend’s intellect, but there are children’s shows on EWTN every afternoon, from 4:30 to 6:00PM (ET) , some for very young and some for older children, but the delivery of the message can be appreciated by adults as well.
You can choose something you feel is appropriate from the television schedule on
www.ewtn.com
God bless.