S
SighGuy
Guest
So. As far as I understand, all things that happen are permitted to happen to us, by God. Satan, for example, has no power over us that God does not permit for him to have. And since God wishes us no evil, what happens to us is always designed for our greatest good, that is, the kingdom of Heaven. The only thing that stands in the way is our own free will, our own ability to sin and spoil the repeated opportunities that the Lord affords us.
Why, then, do we have guardian angels? What do they protect us for, if nothing befalls us that is not God’s will?
Prayer I understand. We act with right reason because we do not know God’s will, and we pray for what we hope to be good, and God does what is really the most good, and our prayer is a development of our love for God and our dependency upon God. That makes sense-- we can pray and that completely meshes along with the will of God.
What I’m failing to understand is why we need protection of guardian angels. A demon cannot lift a sword against us that God has not permitted-- therefore what are the angels doing? Preventing something that God has deemed good for our souls? (Let it be known that this is a rhetorical question-- clearly this is not what happens)
Help me to understand. In fact, the problem runs deeper than just angels. It really is applied to all of intercession. I guess I just don’t get it. If God is the Father of Love and Mercy, there is no creature more merciful than God. I believe in Mary’s intercessions, and the intercessions of the saints and the angels-- I’m not saying I don’t! I just don’t get it. God isn’t “strong-armed” into something by the petitions of others, so why do they matter?
Again, I’m not saying I am against the teachings of the Church, I am for them, I just don’t get it and hope to understand it better.
Why, then, do we have guardian angels? What do they protect us for, if nothing befalls us that is not God’s will?
Prayer I understand. We act with right reason because we do not know God’s will, and we pray for what we hope to be good, and God does what is really the most good, and our prayer is a development of our love for God and our dependency upon God. That makes sense-- we can pray and that completely meshes along with the will of God.
What I’m failing to understand is why we need protection of guardian angels. A demon cannot lift a sword against us that God has not permitted-- therefore what are the angels doing? Preventing something that God has deemed good for our souls? (Let it be known that this is a rhetorical question-- clearly this is not what happens)
Help me to understand. In fact, the problem runs deeper than just angels. It really is applied to all of intercession. I guess I just don’t get it. If God is the Father of Love and Mercy, there is no creature more merciful than God. I believe in Mary’s intercessions, and the intercessions of the saints and the angels-- I’m not saying I don’t! I just don’t get it. God isn’t “strong-armed” into something by the petitions of others, so why do they matter?
Again, I’m not saying I am against the teachings of the Church, I am for them, I just don’t get it and hope to understand it better.