Hey Jose,
This is where things get complicated for me regarding mortal sin. If disobeying the Church’s teaching on something is the sole reason for a person having mortal sin and therefore going to hell, then people who FULLY believe in God, Jesus, and who engage in the sacraments…People who love, and are kind, and give to the poor, and otherwise live saintly lives, are damned to hell for disagreeing with a teaching the Church says is true but is something the individual doesn’t believe. Is that really and truly turning one’s back against God? If someone honestly disagrees…how can that be grounds for hell?
That’s why this thread is so important to me…because to me, it’s at the heart of salvation. What is more important? Faith in Jesus or faith in the Church authorities? If faith in Jesus cannot even overcome a lack of faith in some particular and confusing Church teaching, then what are church authorities really saying here?
Justin,
What you are presenting here is a different scenario. I was responding to the scenario you presented about the teenager. Here, all of the Church teachings have been put together in the mortal sin category if you disagree with them. That’s not what I’m saying.
The Church is clear when it doesn’t hold blame to those who through no fault of their own, stay away from being in union with the Catholic Church and are still seeking God (
CCC 847).
The biggest problem is separating the Church from Christ. Is the Church also an institution? Yes. Is it composed of sinners? Yes. Is the Church the Body of Christ? Yes. The only reason the Church is what it is - is because of Christ. Not of ourselves. We respond to the call and some have a higher calling.
Hopefully I can present a better analogy.
I was raised Catholic and walked away from the Church. Not because of I disagreed, I just gave myself to the world…

. When I started seeking Christ again in my adulthood I became Non-Catholic. I was raised in the 70’s-80’s Catholicism, where guilty and penance theology was vastly predominantly. The last thing I wanted to do was have someone tell me how horrible I was, I already knew that. Also, my wife was not Catholic. As I read the Bible more, I immediately noticed some books missing. The DC’s - Sirach was and still is one of my favorite books of the OT. And I liked Maccabees too. So that was odd and I inquired more. As I started changing denominations I inevitably encountered reformed theology, the five solas, etc. They were obviously foreign to me, so I started digging more. As I attended more Bible Studies I found myself reading Scriptures daily and starting to look into the history of the Church. Even when I was raised Catholic, I had a lot of misconceptions about the Catholic Church and I didn’t really know or understand a lot of Her teachings. This was a process of about 7 years. My poor wife stood by me all this time, lol. I have books upon books and I eventually give in to electronic formats, so much easier, lol. Long story short: All my children (4) were admitted into the Catholic Church in December of last year and my wife is attending RCIA. And I came back to the Church. This is the short version, lol.
The reason I’m saying this is to show some scenarios:
Me: I am held to a higher standard of all the other persons involved in that story. Because I have more knowledge of the Church and Christianity as a whole really. My remaining away from the Church because I think I know better would put me in danger after I had truly study what the Church actually teaches.
My wife: She was raised Protestant. She wasn’t Catholic because she didn’t know any better. She thought a Church was just a Church and all were the same. It wasn’t until she saw me struggle that she started asking questions. Her remaining away without knowing about the Church and still seeking Christ and living a Christian life would not have put her in danger.
Some of my Bible Study friends: Some just hate the Catholic Church and think we worship Mary and a whole bunch of other things… They have been fed all this information as they grow in denominations that are virulently anti-Catholic. That’s not their fault. However, when I start explaining to them what the truth is and I debunk their myths. If they still want to have a hardening of heart and be obstinate about it. They are placing themselves in an uncomfortable situation in regards to accountability. I presented official Church teaching, Church history, Councils declarations, etc. They were better off without knowing all of this if they want to remain hateful towards their fellow Christians.
And still, only God truly knows the heart of each and every one of us. He is merciful and He gives grace to the humble but opposes the proud. So as long as we remain on the humble side of things we are teachable and workable.
If possible, it would be really great if you were able to find a Priest that has the time and is knowledgeable. I found that the biggest difference maker (other than prayer) when I was searching - was sitting down and talking face to face to Pastors and Priests. I was really lucky to also connect to some really good people online and exchange emails in a very cordial manner. Some of them College professors, I really love History and they played a great part in directing me to credible sources and providing great references.
I hope I didn’t ramble too much and made sense
Peace,