Understanding Mortal Sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jinc1019
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot show me one thread where I have EVER said this. In fact, in the #3 post in this very thread, I expressed doubts that the subject of the question lacked knowledge or consent (I kinda scoffed at the idea). But I never said he WAS guilty of mortal sin, only that I doubted that he could be innocent of it (my opinion only). So don’t tell me that I think everybody is innocent. I just don’t think everybody is guilty (as you seem to).
okay, here’s 2 threads

#[1 (http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=12134561&postcount=1)

*some responses *
Another thread
· You respond to me #[47 (http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=12134507&postcount=47)
· I respond to you #[50 (http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=12136447&postcount=50)

Let’s face it, as you can see, on this subject, people get real goosey because many don’t want to own up to mortal sin. Seeing people all of a sudden turn into defense lawyers, shows me, it hits a nerve.

To the other point,

You constantly stress “full knowledge” and “full consent” as if it is assumed one doesn’t have either. So given the direction you take on your posts, I said “you assume everybody is ignorant and innocently so”. I finished by saying “I don’t assume that”.

If you disagree then show where I’m wrong
D:
I have maintained that nobody knows. Not even the Pope knows. Only God knows (and I said that as well in post #3).
See? You make my point, Everybody but God is ignorant.

So why in the world would St John say the following

**1 Jn 5: **16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, … "

John was inspired by God to write that. How does one do what God directs, if one can’t judge a mortal from a non mortal sin, not only in themself but especially in another?

You are obviously wrong here.
D:
We don’t know if few or many sins are mortal in nature. You don’t know, and I don’t know. Nobody knows.
So what do you do with this? 1 Jn 5: 16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, … "

Also, Read that link above, Re: “intrinsic evil”
 
Steve, I am done arguing over this. I already posted a link that everyone can read and decide for themselves.
When I say someting like that, I give someone the direct link for their own ease so they can go right to it, I don’t elude to it. Because I don’t expect anyone to have to go hunting for something I said.
j:
Your portrayal, while good-intentioned, is sadly mistaken. The Church was MORALLY WRONG to endorse the hanging (murder) of people AFTER THE CONFLICT WAS OVER who refused to recant their religious beliefs. Sorry, but they were. Period. If you want to defend that, go ahead, but I am not going to fight about it with you anymore.
Please give the specific reference and I’ll be happy to respond
 
I did not go to Mass for the Assumption of Our Lady on Thursday, and Holy Day of Obligation, of course, and obviously feel guilty about it. My dear friend was in the hospital and was slowing dying before our eyes. I had spent so mnay hours and days in the hospital for the past month, but I did not miss any Saturday or Sunday Masses. But I so wanted to attend Mass on Thursday, but my friend ( who, incidently, had trult only a few friends and family), and we did not want to leave his side or the hospital at his time of greatness need and when he was on the verge of dying any moment. Even when he was sick at home, I used to visit him several times a day and hours in the evenings with him because he felt alone and scared. Though he had friends he had known most of his life, few of them visited him, and then only for a few minutes. In a moment of weakness he told me that he had no friends. That was so heartbreaking. When he was on a resperator, and sedated, but was stilla ble to understand whatever we were able to say to him, I told him that he was my best friend and he was like a brother to me. He had always presented himself as a tough individual all his life, and we were even enemies ( he was the neighbor from hell), but he apologized one day and we started growing closer from then on. Behind that tough faceade, he was an insecure, frighten man, and his declining health only made him worse, increasing his depression adn anxiety. I will go to confession anyway, but I still feel guilty for not going, and if I had, I really don’t think that I could have physically, mentally, and psychologically been even able to sit through a Mass. I already had been at the point of total exhaustion ( and I have seizures), that I had to lay down frequently at the hospital. Sorry that I strayed off the subject, but I couldn’t help it. Either way, I would have felt tremendous guilt.
 
When I say someting like that, I give someone the direct link for their own ease so they can go right to it, I don’t elude to it. Because I don’t expect anyone to have to go hunting for something I said.

Please give the specific reference and I’ll be happy to respond
Steve, I already cited BOTH of these things…I am not going to cite them over and over again. And as I already said, I am not going to debate this issue anymore with you. You are a hardliner and cannot admit that the Church has made some very serious mistakes, even if it is infallible.
 
Steve, I already cited BOTH of these things…I am not going to cite them over and over again. And as I already said, I am not going to debate this issue anymore with you. You are a hardliner and cannot admit that the Church has made some very serious mistakes, even if it is infallible.
If it was really that important to you, you would have given the link. And as far as “exterminate” which is the point you brought up not me, the definition of the Latin word extermino that you ran with was wrong.

I’m not being the hardliner here.
 
My question is…What is “full knowledge?” The reason I ask is because many Catholics commit acts that they know the Church says is wrong*** but that they believe isn’t wrong***…So if a person truly believes an act is not sinful, does he or she still commit a mortal sin?
Well if they believe it isn’t wrong then they don’t have full knowledge, so therefore not mortal, " Father forgive them, for they know not what they do "
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top