Understanding Purgatory

  • Thread starter Thread starter Razanir
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
fred conty;12040090:
I read in the Diary of St. Faustina where she prayed for a fellow sister after she died, and this sister appeared to her after her release from purgatory. And I have also heard/read of other people in purgatory who have be released after being prayed for. /QUOTE]

I’d just caution about taking to heart any talk of somebody appearing to a living person after being released for purgatory (or any appearance by a deceased person to a living person), and taking that as complete truth.

Satan and his demons have the power to use images to try and make us believe what he wants us to believe. Appearances by ghosts of the deceased are not necessarily what we think they are. Remember, God refused to send the ghost of the rich man back to earth to warn his brother about being stingy to beggars like Lazarus.

Souls of the deceased talking to a still living human being is sorcery and of the occult, not of the Catholic way. (And Jesus was not a ghost when He appeared to the apostles because He was not dead, He had risen from the dead.) As a Catholic, I do not believe in ghosts and spirit apparitions. The only apparitions I can ever possibly accept are Jesus (because he was resurrected from the dead) and Mary (because she didn’t die but rather was assumed into Heaven), and even those may have to be treated with great discernment since Satan is capable of creating images of them, too. No others.
So you are saying that God cannot allow a saint to appear to an individual?
 
So for the souls that will be there until the end of time, and we dont know who or how many, it is basically pointless to pray for them, wishing them to be released more quickly. Right?
I would say the Holy Spirit would, in it’s infinite wisdom, apply any and all prayers/offerings of sacrifices to it’s interests or even to that of the person offering, but you wouldn’t know all that until you enter eternity. The Holy Spirit will give you peace of mind about it if your heart is pure. 🙂
 
If we assume, for the sake of argument, that the experience of purgatory has a temporal component, how long would the average penance be? And what would the standard deviation be?

In physics, there are usually thought to be seven* arrows of time. I would think that most of them don’t exist in purgatory because purgatory is a place of the spirit, but one of them is a psychological arrow, and if purgatory is experienced as a temporal period of penance by fire, then by definition at least the temporal arrow, subjective though it may possibly be, still exists.
  1. *]the thermodynamic arrow
    *]the cosmological arrow
    *]the radiative arrow
    *]the causal arrow
    *]the particle physics (due to the weak force) arrow
    *]the quantum arrow
    *]the psychological arrow

    The seven arrows of time
 
If we assume, for the sake of argument, that the experience of purgatory has a temporal component, how long would the average penance be? And what would the standard deviation be?

In physics, there are usually thought to be seven* arrows of time. I would think that most of them don’t exist in purgatory because purgatory is a place of the spirit, but one of them is a psychological arrow, and if purgatory is experienced as a temporal period of penance by fire, then by definition at least the temporal arrow, subjective though it may possibly be, still exists.
  1. *]the thermodynamic arrow
    *]the cosmological arrow
    *]the radiative arrow
    *]the causal arrow
    *]the particle physics (due to the weak force) arrow
    *]the quantum arrow
    *]the psychological arrow

    The seven arrows of time

  1. Interesting. The “psychological arrow” is physical?

    The Church has never defined duration of canonical penance in relation to duration of Purgatory.

    ICXC NIKA
 
Interesting. The “psychological arrow” is physical?
I assume (yes, I know, making assumptions is a dangerous move!) that they do that because they equate the operation of the mind with the operation of the brain, and the operation of the brain with physiology. Perhaps one could then say the seventh arrow is superfluous, being a combination of the first thermodynamic arrow and the fourth causal arrow, except that it has a subjective component that virtually everybody says they experience, which then makes it a case unto itself.
The Church has never defined duration of canonical penance in relation to duration of Purgatory.
ICXC NIKA
Yes, that is what I am really getting at. I remember when I was very small there were various indulgences listed in our little missalettes, so many hundred days off of time in purgatory for this prayer, so many years off for this combination, so many thousand years off for this practice (or so I seem remember . . . it was decades ago though . . .).

So I was wondering; days (it seems like at one point St. Faustina said something about days in purgatory), years, hundreds of years, thousands of years, millions, billions, trillions of years, 6.023 x 10^23* years, 10^100 years (that’s a google of years), more???

Anybody know? Anybody want to take a guess???

Me, I have no idea even of the order of magnitude; I’m totally clueless . . .

Just thought I’d put something forward that’s been on my mind for a while.

*6.023 x 10^23 = one mole in chemistry; the number of molecules in 22.4 liters of air, or a cube of air roughly 1 foot on a side.
 
Those written references to time of indulgence (now all over 100 years ago IMS) refers to canonical penance, never to duration in Purgatory.

The Church, despite the understandable confusion in this matter, has, IMS, always understood Purgatory as lying in eternity and not therefore subject to measured durations.

ICXC NIKA.
 
I assume (yes, I know, making assumptions is a dangerous move!) that they do that because they equate the operation of the mind with the operation of the brain, and the operation of the brain with physiology. Perhaps one could then say the seventh arrow is superfluous, being a combination of the first thermodynamic arrow and the fourth causal arrow, except that it has a subjective component that virtually everybody says they experience, which then makes it a case unto itself.
But psychological time has different durations that do not match the rate of brain activity. Subjective time in your mind, such as in dreaming, does not correspond to a multiplied rate of nerve transmission.

“Clocks lack imagination” —Isaac Asimov

ICXC NIKA
 
=Razanir;12039138]So one of the more common objections I’ve heard to Purgatory is Jesus saying “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise” (NAB Lk 23:43). How can the thief be in Heaven that day, if he still has a trip to Purgatory in between? However, Heaven’s outside of time, or at least, time functions differently there than on earth. So is it possible, instead, as a compromise, that however long it feels like it takes in Purgatory, that it’s instantaneous from an earthly perspective?
First this is not a literal ststement of fact; because hevens Gates were not reopened until the Ressurection [Easter Sunday]. What it is saying that this then unbaptized sinner was admitted into heaven along with all the souls in “Limbo of thr Fathers”

Is is quiote possible that Christ granted this sinner the grace of Baptism of Desire, which qualifed him for this gift. However; God is God, and as maker of the Rules John 3:5 He can choose to change them.🙂

God Bless you,
Patrick
 
But psychological time has different durations that do not match the rate of brain activity. Subjective time in your mind, such as in dreaming, does not correspond to a multiplied rate of nerve transmission.

“Clocks lack imagination” —Isaac Asimov

ICXC NIKA
True, but we all, or at least most of us, have experienced the phenomenon of wondering what time it was, making a guesstimate, and then looking and seeing that we were right to within a minute or so.

I don’t always do so now, but it used to be my practice to go to sleep with the intention of waking up at a specified time and then reliably waking on time to within about a minute or two. And if I set my alarm, I still wake up withing five to ten minutes of the time just before my alarm is set to go off because I find the sound of it so unnerving.

So, my conclusion is that while we do indeed experience time in a subjective fashion with varying rates of flow, we are also aware at some level of the passage of time in a manner analogous to the time kept by a clock. Even animals (cats, for example) can become accustomed to being fed at a certain time of day, and if food is not forthcoming loudly, noisily, and imperiously demanding to know the reason why.

Anyway, I don’t want to seem like I’m defending their choice of arrows. The seven arrows aren’t something that I made up, other people made them up. I’m just offering them to the forum as a common background for my question.
 
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
So for the souls that will be there until the end of time, and we don’t know who or how many, it is basically pointless to pray for them, wishing them to be released more quickly. Right?

REPLY
=Ed Silvia;12070415]I would say the Holy Spirit would, in it’s infinite wisdom, apply any and all prayers/offerings of sacrifices to it’s interests or even to that of the person offering, but you wouldn’t know all that until you enter eternity. The Holy Spirit will give you peace of mind about it if your heart is pure. 🙂
Not so; Because prayers are accepted and applied by God in amounts and ways we don’t know.

We therefore ought to earnestly pray for the Souls in Purgatory, trusing in God’s Mercy to be shown once again:)
 
Not so; Because prayers are accepted and applied by God in amounts and ways we don’t know.

We therefore ought to earnestly pray for the Souls in Purgatory, trusing in God’s Mercy to be shown once again:)
Oh, I thought I said that :confused:
 
Hi everyone. I’m just trying to get a grasp on what time in purgatory is like.

My religion teacher said that we send ourselves to purgatory because when we die and see God, we will feel so ashamed of all those times we disobeyed him by sinning that we will take some away from him to basically forgive ourselves and allow ourselves to enter into Heaven. Since this time is spent away from God, it is a sort of punishment however it isn’t as bad as Hell of course.

I also heard that purgatory is like if you wake up and open up the curtains only to be blinded by the light. You then close the curtains and wait until you can handle the light. This time when the curtains are closed is purgatory.

Is this a good way of understanding purgatory?
 
Hi everyone. I’m just trying to get a grasp on what time in purgatory is like.

My religion teacher said that we send ourselves to purgatory because when we die and see God, we will feel so ashamed of all those times we disobeyed him by sinning that we will take some away from him to basically forgive ourselves and allow ourselves to enter into Heaven. Since this time is spent away from God, it is a sort of punishment however it isn’t as bad as Hell of course.

I also heard that purgatory is like if you wake up and open up the curtains only to be blinded by the light. You then close the curtains and wait until you can handle the light. This time when the curtains are closed is purgatory.

Is this a good way of understanding purgatory?
I don’t see anything wrong with those comparisons. Purgatory though is a place of purification.
 
Hi everyone. I’m just trying to get a grasp on what time in purgatory is like.

My religion teacher said that we send ourselves to purgatory because when we die and see God, we will feel so ashamed of all those times we disobeyed him by sinning that we will take some away from him to basically forgive ourselves and allow ourselves to enter into Heaven. Since this time is spent away from God, it is a sort of punishment however it isn’t as bad as Hell of course.

I also heard that purgatory is like if you wake up and open up the curtains only to be blinded by the light. You then close the curtains and wait until you can handle the light. This time when the curtains are closed is purgatory.

Is this a good way of understanding purgatory?
I don’t think these are bad analogies. Take a look at my blog post which includes some quotes form St John Paul the Greats Spe Salvi

findingthecatholicchurch.blogspot.com/2013/02/cs-lewis-believed-in-purgatory-rightly.html
 
Hi everyone. I’m just trying to get a grasp on what time in purgatory is like.

My religion teacher said that we send ourselves to purgatory because when we die and see God, we will feel so ashamed of all those times we disobeyed him by sinning that we will take some away from him to basically forgive ourselves and allow ourselves to enter into Heaven. Since this time is spent away from God, it is a sort of punishment however it isn’t as bad as Hell of course.

I also heard that purgatory is like if you wake up and open up the curtains only to be blinded by the light. You then close the curtains and wait until you can handle the light. This time when the curtains are closed is purgatory.

Is this a good way of understanding purgatory?
As I understand Purgatory it is only a temporary state that always leads to heaven. However because Purgatory is given in this life it only activates itself in the next life. It is in the next life when God is more freer to give you graces. Since Purgatory deals with some business left undone it is usually because we were either very lazy with our Christian duties or we were careless with our Christian duties or we abused our Christian duties. Your analogies seem applicable but I oftened felt that souls in a Purgatory state have not yet learned to glorify God in its fullness. For instance if you did not glorify God in this life but do not deserve any sentence of hell, you are not going to glorify God immediately after death. I think God would give us time to learn to glorify Him and Purgatory would be that time. As one saint had said “ingratitude has never entered Heaven”. St. Maria Faustina had a vision of the Holy Souls and asked them what was their greatest suffering and they all answered in one voice it was their longing for God. It seems after death this longing becomes more apparent than before they died. Perhaps those who go directly to Heaven has this longing long before they die.
 
We explained Purgatory to DSD as “heaven’s mudroom”. Imagine that you were really dirty - not so dirty that it couldn’t be cleaned up, but too dirty to enter the house. You’d need to be cleaned off first before you could come inside. That’s what Purgatory is.
 
=His_helpmeet;12079251]We explained Purgatory to DSD as “heaven’s mudroom”. Imagine that you were really dirty - not so dirty that it couldn’t be cleaned up, but too dirty to enter the house. You’d need to be cleaned off first before you could come inside. That’s what Purgatory is.
Nicely Done, thanks:)
 
JWH123;12040807:
So you are saying that God cannot allow a saint to appear to an individual?
Yes, Mary is a saint and she has appeared a number of times to people.

Elias and Moses appeared with Jesus on the mountain, and Peter, James and John saw them.

When Jesus died on the Cross, the next day the bible tells us that many of the dead appeared to those in town.

And of course Jesus said he is God of the living and not of the dead. So if they are alive then they may appear God so willing.

These are examples, but more have been recorded.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top