Understanding The Term "Firstfruits"

• Thread starter Thread starter Wm777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wm777

When we hear the term “firstfruits” used in the OT and NT - what exactly does it mean?

I always thought it meant the first goods produced at the harvest, but then I was thinking about it, and it seems like the first is often not always the best.

And, actually, the first time anyone ever tries to do something, the results usually aren’t the best at all.

So I was wondering if first fruits means “the first” or more like “the best”?

Last edited:

Not sure how accurate the above link is, but it confirms the equation of “first” = “best”.

It’s from a Christian company, although not-necessarily overtly Catholic, nor not-for-profit.

The article identifies something interesting when it says “the finest new wine” is a sort of first fruits. I was thinking about Cana as I read it, when the headwaiter says, “Everyone serves the good wine first, but you have saved the best for last.” The headwaiter seem to makes it sound like the good wine is served first because they wont care so much about consuming an inferior one after they are already drunk. But Jesus’ “firstfruits” as a “later (and best) offering” makes it sound like his time had in fact come - perhaps a bit too late! 🙂

From Fr. John Hardon’s Modern Catholic Dictionary, a 100% solid Catholic source.
FIRST FRUITS. The biblical term for the best as well as the earliest fruits or crops, both natural and prepared, taken from such sources as the threshing floor, the wine vat, and the oil press (Deuteronomy 18). They are specified in the law as offerings to God, and as prescribed on certain occasions such as the Passover and Pentecost (Deuteronomy 26).

That’s perfect. Thank you! 🙂

This turned out to be a great little revelation, especially about Cana.

The first will be last, and the last will be first!

😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back