unemployment

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigZen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigZen

Guest
Hi All,

I have been chronically un/under employed for the past two years. My wife tells me not to worry but I am beginning to lose all hope
 
Your wife sounds like a supportive and loving woman. That is wonderful.
Please don’t give up hope, God is able to open doors for you. We are to give thanks in all situations, for all the good that we can find in them. I have found that trying to look for the good in my situation has cheered me up when I was most down. And I understand that gratitude frees God to work things out for us. He wants you to be able to support your family, it’s just a question of following leads until you come to the one He has for you.
Praying for you.
 
I know how you feel. Sense I moved home to care for my mother I have not been able to find any work. I keep myself busy taking care of my mothers place and working on a garden to feed us and to help others as well. Dont give up try to help others even if it is as simple as giving them a ride to mass. Sadly I think things will get worse, But we have to keep our faith in Christ and we will come out of this alright.
 
I know this will sound like I don’t know how things work where you are (which is true, I’m overseas), but tried starting a business? As long as you can find some legal form of business activity that will not eat all your money up in taxes and insurance, it’s easier to find a customer than to find an employer, I think. This is the “bigger half” of the reason I’m registering a business this week (and not my trained job, either).
 
So few people understand the frustration of being underemployed. You use your time, but barely survive. I live in Michigan. Some people have jobs and this recession just is something they read about in the papers. Some are living it day to day. Unfortunately, my skills needed to be improved. Good news is it gave me time to write a book, bad news is no security.
Anne
 
I was unemployed for over a year. I know how hard and frustrating it can be. Do not lose hope because you will eventually find a job. The only thing I can advise is that you use your time wisely. Do not waste your time sitting around doing nothing. I suggest that you consider doing some courses to gain new qualifications. You should still actively look for work, but I think it is a great idea to invest in your future by doing night courses etc.

During my unemployment, I did a painting inspection course. I was unable to get a painting inspection job because of lack of experience, but it did help me get into the Merchant Navy. When I went for an interview, the interviewer told me that he was impressed by the fact that I had taken the time to gain new qualifications. He was impressed that I had not been idle during my period of unemployment.

You may not want to do any courses. But I would recommend that you find something to do. Have you thought about volunteer work? Employers are impressed by this. Look for ways to make yourself more employable.
 
When unemployment is high it is VERY important to remember not to take your situation personally. Millions of hardworking individuals aren’t able to find a good paying job that utilizes all their skills. Don’t let yourself get sucked down into despair. Men in particular have the habit of blaming themselves when they are unemployed/underemployed and it is easy to get depressed. I highly recommend starting an exercise program if you haven’t already. Even a daily vigorous long walk will help to manage stress.

Hang in there!
 
Well, me being laid off could not have come at a better time. I have worked 2 and 3 jobs to make ends meet since I was divorced 10 yrs ago and my son was 10 at the time. Since being laid off I have had the opportunity to slow it all down and reconnect with my son. He grew up alot in the last 10 yrs and he has some interesting things to discuss and a great sense of humor 👍

It has also allowed me to be able to go to morning Mass and spend more time with Christ something I really missed working all the time.

I have also had time to spend with a good friend (my pew buddy) who is now on her death bed. So, I can just sit with her waiting for her to wake up to spend a few more precious moments together.

Some early mornings I just sit outside having a cup of coffee llistening to and watching the birds at the feeders and every now and again a deer will cross the yard.

These are all things I would have missed if I was working all those jobs. Maybe your suppose to just slow down a bit and take sometime to relax before things pick up and you find yourself in rush hour traffic again.
 
Hi All,

I have been chronically un/under employed for the past two years. My wife tells me not to worry but I am beginning to lose all hope
Dear BigZen,

As a man who has experienced a very protracted period of unemployment owing to ill-health, I wholly sympathise with your present plight. Life can begin to look increasingly bleak and it is so very easy to become thoroughly demoralized and dehumanized as a consequence of having no work.

What often doesn’t help matters is the, sometimes, uncharitable and harsh attitudes towards the unemployed within our parishes. If we have been schooled in the so-called ‘Protestant Work Ethic’ (industry, honesty, resourcefulness, thrift, etc.), then there may be a tendency to despise those who are loosers in the struggle to survive, as if somehow they are to blame. Having only quite recently converted to Catholicism, I am not really sure as to what extent this sort of attitude prevails within the Church. People being people I am certain that it does exist, but I have not encountered it so far. Of course it goes without remark that there will always be a small minority who have no intention of working and who prefer to sponge on the community. However, it cannot be emphasized enough that such persons constitute a minority. The vast majority of the unemployed want nothing more than to work, but, alas, simply cannot secure a suitable position. There are many reasons for this; sometimes they are the victims of a deep recession or are unable to cope with the stress engendered by the new technology.

There is need therefore for more Christian compassion and sympathy towards those who find themselves unemployed and more pastoral care. Some people in our parishes need to repent for looking with disdain upon the unemployed in their midst. They need to remember that the words ‘workless’ and ‘worthless’ are not synonymous. In any event there should be, at least within the Catholic community, no stigma attached to unemployment. Moreover, St. Paul’s often cited dictum, ‘if a man will not work, he shall not eat’ (2 Thess. 3: 10) was addressed to voluntary not involuntary unemployment, to the indolent not the redundant.

Thus we need to lovingly embrace and support, e.g. financially or by invitations to supper, the unemployed in our parish churches; otherwise our pious talk about ‘ministering to the needs of the Body of Christ’ becomes a sick joke.

Big Zen may I take this opportunity to commend you to our heavenly Father’s loving care and protection at this time. May He strengthen and support you through this very difficult period when you find yourself without work. May He prosper all your diligent efforts to secure gainful employement and may you be set free from want and anxiety to work in peace and security; may you soon have employment and the assurance of a livelihood. Through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Warmest good wishes and prayers,

Portrait
 
Hi All,
I have been chronically un/under employed for the past two years. My wife tells me not to worry but I am beginning to lose all hope
BigZen, I’ve been there and know the pains; three things you can do in addition to continuing to look for work;
  1. Novena to St.Joseph - he was charged to ‘provide’ for the Holy Family - no one knows better than him - turn to him to intercede to our Lord on your behalf - do this novena for employment;
  2. Consecrate your family - put your family into the hands of our Lord; you can’t do any better than that; here is how: familyland.be/family_consecration/introduction-to-consecration-to-the-holy-family.html
  3. Do the above two so that you can totally put your faith in God to provide what you need; He knows best; he has a plan for your family, and it is good - give Him a chance.
    Be open to ANY work opportunity that comes up; our Lord will surprise you, AND Give thanks to him every day for all that he provides.
👍
 
BigZen:

Do take a few relaxing moments in each day as it does relieve the stress and anxiety level while your waiting for the phone to ring or for the mailman to bring you good news.

One of my co-workers just called me today to tell me that she finally landed a really good job after being laid off for 8 months. Hang in there you’ll be in all that traffic again before you know it.

Also, ask at your church if there is a networking group. Good jobs are also found this way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top