M
mwscott
Guest
I went to this parish today (another view) expecting to see this but instead I was very sad to see this.
Now that photo is not that disappointing. It would seem from that photo (taken by someone else outside the Christmas season) that a Mass could be said very reverently versus populum there.* Instead, the sacred vessels were glass, the deacon self communicated and gave the final blessing, the priest and deacon gave blessings in the communion line, and the sacristan spent a good two minutes before the open tabernacle before Mass counting Hosts.* Also frustrating but not as serious was the terrible use of the organ (which was massive but sounded like a chapel organ, and the sad lack of vestments (the priest wore a very anemic stole over his chasuble and the deacon didn’t even wear a stole let alone a dalmatic), the incredible amount of talking before Mass in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, and the priest could barely speak English.
Now I don’t want to seem cynical or angry. Its not that I’m angry as much as I am frustrated with (1) my inability to see past this and pray the Mass and receive the Blessed Sacrament in the right state of mind and (2) the lack of reverence for the Mass in this beautiful church. Over the previous two sundays I visited this beautiful little parish that offers both the TLM Mass and the NO Mass extremely reverently and beautifully. Why couldn’t that parish have this beautiful building? Today, this gigantic church was practically empty, while that little parish is full to the brim and they are only two miles or so apart.
Now that photo is not that disappointing. It would seem from that photo (taken by someone else outside the Christmas season) that a Mass could be said very reverently versus populum there.* Instead, the sacred vessels were glass, the deacon self communicated and gave the final blessing, the priest and deacon gave blessings in the communion line, and the sacristan spent a good two minutes before the open tabernacle before Mass counting Hosts.* Also frustrating but not as serious was the terrible use of the organ (which was massive but sounded like a chapel organ, and the sad lack of vestments (the priest wore a very anemic stole over his chasuble and the deacon didn’t even wear a stole let alone a dalmatic), the incredible amount of talking before Mass in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, and the priest could barely speak English.
Now I don’t want to seem cynical or angry. Its not that I’m angry as much as I am frustrated with (1) my inability to see past this and pray the Mass and receive the Blessed Sacrament in the right state of mind and (2) the lack of reverence for the Mass in this beautiful church. Over the previous two sundays I visited this beautiful little parish that offers both the TLM Mass and the NO Mass extremely reverently and beautifully. Why couldn’t that parish have this beautiful building? Today, this gigantic church was practically empty, while that little parish is full to the brim and they are only two miles or so apart.