Unfindable Saint Quote?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nathan_Wagar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nathan_Wagar

Guest
Hey guys, this is kind of driving me nuts. This is a paraphrase, but who says the quote “Oh Christian, if you only knew who you are?” What work is it? I’ve heard it a few times and am almost positive I’ve seen it (I could have sworn it was St.Jerome but I’m not banking on it) but I can’t find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated…
 
This likely isn’t it, I have heard it said more like that you put forth too.

‘You have forgotten what you are.’

St. Severinus Boethius

The substance of it’s been said by more than a few. 😃 Any possibility it was a St. Catherine? Someone else will probably recall it and help, I can’t. 😃
 
Is this it?

“O Christian, recognize your dignity and, made participant of the Divine nature, refuse to return to the abjection of yore by degenerate conduct. Remember of what Head and of what Body you are a member. Recollect that you were rescued from the power of darkness and brought out into God’s light and kingdom. By the mystery of Baptism you were made the temple of the Holy Ghost: do not put such a denizen to flight from you by base acts, and subject yourself once more to the devil’s thraldom: because your purchase money is the blood of Christ, because He shall judge you in truth Who ransomed you in mercy, Who with the Father and the Holy Spirit reigns for ever and ever. Amen” (Pope Leo the Great, Sermon 21).

I took part of the translation from this sermon where I liked the wording better.

It’s a great quote, anyway! 🤷 🙂

In Christ,
Pete
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top