Unintentionally causing somebody else to sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SHoJjhmou
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SHoJjhmou

Guest
So I have some friends who are good people, but who have a bad habit of saying the d word. I used to not care when they cursed, but then I learned that it was grave matter to say the d word (that’s not being scrupulous, it really is).

So what my question is is what if we do something to them that might cause them to say that word, even if we don’t want them to?

For instance, you beat them in a game or whatever, knowing that they might accidentally say the word (even though you don’t intend them to and wish they wouldn’t).

I personally think that it is scrupulous to not to try to beat them in a game or whatever it is since you can never REALLY know if they’ll say the word, but it’s always good to check.

(btw I normally would ask a confessor, but confession isn’t for a few days)
 
So I have some friends who are good people, but who have a bad habit of saying the d word. I used to not care when they cursed, but then I learned that it was grave matter to say the d word (that’s not being scrupulous, it really is).

So what my question is is what if we do something to them that might cause them to say that word, even if we don’t want them to?

For instance, you beat them in a game or whatever, knowing that they might accidentally say the word (even though you don’t intend them to and wish they wouldn’t).

I personally think that it is scrupulous to not to try to beat them in a game or whatever it is since you can never REALLY know if they’ll say the word, but it’s always good to check.

(btw I normally would ask a confessor, but confession isn’t for a few days)
Where did you hear that saying the d word is grave matter?
 
Heard it in religion class, here on the forums (i don’t remember where exactly) and from the fact that blasphemy (which saying the d word is) is grave matter.

I personally didn’t believe it at first either though.
(although usually it is said without sufficient reflection such as out of habit, without thinking or without full knowledge that it is grave matter, which would make it venial sin)
 
You aren’t responsible for the actions of others. Exception being maybe if you are using the Lords name in vain so your friends think it’s ok.

I have much more qualms about saying OMG than something like the f word, which, while vulgar is not using the lords name in vain.

I would not say swearing as you describe is grave matter but perhaps discuss with your priest. I suppose the d word could be considered a “condemnation” but I think context is probably considered.

Maybe check this link out.

acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2007/02/is-bad-language-sin.html?m=1
 
I thought Fr. Vincent Serpa said that saying “O my [God’s name]” wasn’t blasphemy/wasn’t mortal sin?

*Is “Oh, my God!” a blasphemous phrase? It has become so common in our society to say “oh, my God” when we are surprised at something, but is it using the Lord’s name in vain? Is it better not to use this phrase, unless we mean it literally?
Thank you.

Unfortunately, the holy name of “Jesus” is used in disrespectful ways. But
phrases like “Oh, my God!” and “Oh, God!” and “Lord, have mercy!” and “Jesus, Mary and Joseph!” are never used to blaspheme. Simply because we may blurt out one of these phrases without the full awareness of their significance, does not render them disrespectful. In fact, they can help us to be aware of our need for divine help at such times.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.*

Yeah I’m gonna ask the next priest I go to confession with a whole lotta questions…😃
 
Heard it in religion class, here on the forums (i don’t remember where exactly) and from the fact that blasphemy (which saying the d word is) is grave matter.

I personally didn’t believe it at first either though.
(although usually it is said without sufficient reflection such as out of habit, without thinking or without full knowledge that it is grave matter, which would make it venial sin)
Here is the definition of blasphemy from the CCC Paragraph 2148:
Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one’s speech; in misusing God’s name. St. James condemns those "who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called."78 The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ’s Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God’s name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. The misuse of God’s name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion.
I’d ask a priest then. But I’m not sure saying the d word is blasphemy when say, you drop a book and say d*** it!". If someone more knowledgeable can come and offer in their (name removed by moderator)ut, please do so. And SHoJlimou, I would ask a priest about this. Please do come back to this thread with Fr.'s reply.
 
I was told by a priest that swearing is a venial sin. I don’t even consider the “d-word” to be a real swear since one can use it in a sentence with it’s actual meaning while not being vulgar or mistaken for being vulgar like saying “So-and-So is most likely damned, but we can’t know for sure.” While damn is not a pleasant word, to say it is a swear seems silly to me. Also, it it really were a swear, I would not be able to post it on this website. (You can’t even post certain words that are not swears, but some people think are vulgar and this word is not even one of those.)
 
I haven’t gotten a chance to ask a priest, but look what Bookcat said:

Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
In addition to my post above this one (not to be missed there):

One can distinguish between blasphemy and profanity /disrespectful use of the Holy name such in anger or pain etc in a way -say out of a bad habit -that is not “blasphemy” --not said -say out of contempt for God or directed at God etc.

Though of course such also certainly NOT to be done (we are Christians --we love and reverence the Holy Name of Jesus etc-as Paul says --let no evil talk come from your mouths…)…

And in our society there is so much sinful use of the Holy Name in many ways and media - and we ought to seek to praise it and seek that such may not happen - and especially seek to protect the little ones from such though we cannot shield them from every evil always and everywhere.

Let us praise and bless the Holy Name!

Praised be Jesus Christ of Nazareth --now and forever!
 
So I was able to ask a VERY reliable priest, and he gave me some straightfoward answers.

He said that saying the d word, even if you use the Holy Name of God before it, would only be grave matter if it was used to directly insult God or if you were actually wishing to send someone else to hell.

He also said saying Oh my (God’s Holy Name) would only be grave matter if you were directly blaspheming or insulting God.

But he did also say do not use it in front of people who would be offended, but I don’t think that it would be grave mattter, unleess I’m terribly mistaken.

Even though it’s not necessaril grave matter, it is still wrong to do, ovbiously.

Please, by the way, if you have scruples, do not assume you have committed a mortal sin if you say those things when you stub your toe or whatever, because you would need sufficient reflection and full consent, so it would be up to you to decide.
 
Is there a way to change the title of a thread? SO that if people are wondering if the d-wrd is grave matter or not, they can know the truth?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top