Universal Order of the Rose

  • Thread starter Thread starter FickleFreckled
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FickleFreckled

Guest
I passed a van today with “Universal Order of the Rose; A Franciscan Orthodox Catholic Order” on the side of it so I came home and looked it up. It seems to be an amalgam of new age and sacramentalism. They claim apostolic succession. Their charism is adopting abused children. It’s based in Dallas; I saw their van in a suburb of Ft. Worth; maybe it’s limited to this area. The van was in front of a Catholic school. Their website claims they are just another expression of Catholicism. I find this very troubling in light of the scarcity of adoptive families. Here’s their website:
universalorderoftherose.com/index.cfm?LANG=ENG
 
Aside from the fact that Orthodoxy has GREAT trouble with Franciscan spirituality (Il Poverello was in fact an enemy of the Orthodox Church), I see from the site that they have female bishops.

Therefore, they are NOT Orthodox by any stretch of the imagination.
 
I knew they weren’t Orthodox; I don’t think any Orthodox organization would identify itself as Othodox Catholic, would it? When I saw it, my first thought was that it was another Traditionalist schismatic group but the website took care of that pretty quick. Did you notice that one of their female bishops was called a spiritual “inquisitive” and is a Reiki practitioner? The organization must be able to pay the adoption fees; adoption isn’t cheap and is cost-prohibitive to many people who might otherwise adopt a child. The state or adoption agency isn’t going to question their religious teachings or care whether they’re really Catholic. As long as they can provide adequate care and pay the adoption fees, I guess they can adopt as many kids as they want and raise them as little Reiki orthodox catholic franciscan spiritual inquisitives… but it creeps me out.
 
I don’t think any Orthodox organization would identify itself as Othodox Catholic, would it?

Not unheard of.

“Orthodox Catholic” was the preferred term once upon a time.

Presently, Orthodox Christian or just Orthodox is more common.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top