H
hopefull
Guest
In the last month I’ve been subjected to all kinds of liturgical abuse. In one parish the pastor dneounced a parishioner from the pulpit. In another the priest’s prayer of consecration at a funeral was accompanied by musical instruments. At another, the homilist spoke in support of the ordination of women. At another, a funeral, the presider said “everyone is welcome to come up to communion” when it was clear that at least 80%of the church didn’t even know when to stand or sit, and at another church little cookie thingies were distributed at communion which tasted sweet and couldn’t possibly be licit, perhaps not even valid matter. Yes, it is driving me crazy, and of course every story has more details. Not all are of the same level of abuse, but involve a variety of priests and parishes. I can’t believe this is only happening to me; I am overjoyed when I find a priest faithfully celebrating the liturgy. I try not to watch for errors, but they just jump out at me. I walked out of the Mass with the homilist calling for women priests, but I don’t want to have to do that every time.
So I am thinking we need some universally understood respectful sign of concern about liturgical abuses. What about kneeling down when this happens and just burying our face in our hands? Do you think it could be a quiet, respectful but clear signal that something is wrong? Would others want to know and become better catechized? So many don’t even notice the most egregious lapses. I’d really like to hear opinions, because just the last week could keep me busy for a day speaking to priests, writing letters to a bishop who clearly doesn’t care anyway. Ideas?
So I am thinking we need some universally understood respectful sign of concern about liturgical abuses. What about kneeling down when this happens and just burying our face in our hands? Do you think it could be a quiet, respectful but clear signal that something is wrong? Would others want to know and become better catechized? So many don’t even notice the most egregious lapses. I’d really like to hear opinions, because just the last week could keep me busy for a day speaking to priests, writing letters to a bishop who clearly doesn’t care anyway. Ideas?