L
lovedance4ever
Guest
I’ve recently discovered an amazing opportunity to study in Siena, Italy through my university. It would be in the fall of 2013, and I’d be able to get financial aid to cover most of it. However, money is not the problem for my father.
I love my dad so much, but sometimes I think he is unreasonable. After speaking with my mom about it, he seemed okay with the idea. BUT today, I came back with information from the International Education office at my school, and he seemed kind of angry. I told him that I could look into going to another country, such as Australia. Well, that just made things worse, because he blew up at me and said, “I didn’t even like the whole study abroad thing in the first place!”
I guess I feel really bad. I would absolutely love to spend a semester in another country, but knowing that it is going to upset my father makes me feel too guilty to even pursue the issue. I’m almost nineteen years old; there is a part of me that feels restricted and that spending only 3 months away from home would not be a big deal. I guess I am kind of angry right now. I know he is most likely worried about all of the violence that goes on in the world today, and rightly so. But I do not want to live my whole life in fear of being the victim of a terrorist attack. I realize that we need to make wise decisions, but it is not like I am asking to study in Egypt. On top of it, my mother is for the whole idea. I know she is worried, as mothers tend to be, but she is more willing to let me go than he is.
Right now, he is very solemn, and will not speak to me very much.

And so I ask…am I being unreasonable for wanting to study abroad? OR is my father pulling back the reigns a little too much?
I love my dad so much, but sometimes I think he is unreasonable. After speaking with my mom about it, he seemed okay with the idea. BUT today, I came back with information from the International Education office at my school, and he seemed kind of angry. I told him that I could look into going to another country, such as Australia. Well, that just made things worse, because he blew up at me and said, “I didn’t even like the whole study abroad thing in the first place!”
I guess I feel really bad. I would absolutely love to spend a semester in another country, but knowing that it is going to upset my father makes me feel too guilty to even pursue the issue. I’m almost nineteen years old; there is a part of me that feels restricted and that spending only 3 months away from home would not be a big deal. I guess I am kind of angry right now. I know he is most likely worried about all of the violence that goes on in the world today, and rightly so. But I do not want to live my whole life in fear of being the victim of a terrorist attack. I realize that we need to make wise decisions, but it is not like I am asking to study in Egypt. On top of it, my mother is for the whole idea. I know she is worried, as mothers tend to be, but she is more willing to let me go than he is.
Right now, he is very solemn, and will not speak to me very much.
And so I ask…am I being unreasonable for wanting to study abroad? OR is my father pulling back the reigns a little too much?