Unwanted thoughts while praying the rosary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter anon98328916
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anon98328916

Guest
Sometimes when I am praying the rosary I will have unwanted thoughts. These can be upsetting and can distract me from praying. For example when I’m meditating on a mystery sometimes a curse or bad thought in relation to the mystery will come into my head, I am worried God thinks I really think those things and that the rosary won’t count because of these thoughts etc… I have OCD/anxiety which I think doesn’t help. Does this happen to you while praying? Please help?
 
Yes it does happen to me. I also have OCD you are certainly not alone! 🙂

In reality most people even without OCD struggle with distractions/unwanted thoughts during prayer. You have absolutely no sin unless you really want to and enjoy thinking those bad thoughts, which since you are even worried about it means you don’t will them! 🙂

When you have them simply focus on the words of the prayers you are saying. Like if you are on the Hail Mary focus on the words of the Hail Mary prayer not the mystery. Meditation is hard for everyone but can be especially difficult for those with ocd. When your thoughts go naturally to the mysteries thank God, if not go back to the words of the prayer. This doesn’t end all bad thoughts or distractions, but it really does help. Also a prayer booklet that has the words of the rosary helps again focus on the words of the prayers when your mind is wandering. Hope this helps! :hug1:
 
Yes, this happens to me - frequently. I would hazard a guess that it happens to every single person who prays to some degree.

Firstly, relax, it is natural.

Secondly, just do your best to get your mind back on track.

Thirdly, be assured that your prayer is still efficacious. I think it was St Thomas Aquinas who wrote specifically about this and that the initial good intention of praying ensures our prayer is efficacious even though our mind may wonder.
 
Sometimes when I am praying the rosary I will have unwanted thoughts. These can be upsetting and can distract me from praying. For example when I’m meditating on a mystery sometimes a curse or bad thought in relation to the mystery will come into my head, I am worried God thinks I really think those things and that the rosary won’t count because of these thoughts etc… I have OCD/anxiety which I think doesn’t help. Does this happen to you while praying? Please help?
Since the thoughts are unwanted, you are rejecting them which is good. Maybe a crucifix or holy picture will be of help. Don’t allow intrusive thoughts like that cause you to think that God is not listening. Everytime you reject the ugly thought and focus on the prayer you are gaining spiritual muscle.
 
I have OCD as well. One thing I’ve gathered from reading is that those thoughts which are (to use a loaded word) ‘unnatural’ to one are not a sin. It’s just nonsense due to our condition. You’re fine. Such thoughts happen to me when I’m reading spiritual books or thinking about saints. I find ignoring them helps better than apologizing to God. He knows us better than we do, and He doesn’t condemn us for such things. Thoughts come and go. Do you have a spiritual director? Having one can help. It has for me. 🙂
 
I’ve never gotten through a Rosary without digressions. I consider them part of the meditation.
 
Sometimes when I am praying the rosary I will have unwanted thoughts. These can be upsetting and can distract me from praying. For example when I’m meditating on a mystery sometimes a curse or bad thought in relation to the mystery will come into my head, I am worried God thinks I really think those things and that the rosary won’t count because of these thoughts etc… I have OCD/anxiety which I think doesn’t help. Does this happen to you while praying? Please help?
As much as God wants us to be holy, the evil one wants to turn us every chance he gets. While I wouldn’t say this happens to me EVERY time I pray, it does happen and I call on God to banish that thought. God knows what’s in our hearts; trust in Him. God Bless you.:signofcross:
 
Sadly, us humans are a feeble bunch, we can find it difficult to focus on a single issue for any length or time, the mind quickly gets bored and ventures off in some other direction ,
And God would know that, I find it better by breaking up my prayer time into smaller bits,
 
It happens to me too. I just tell God I don’t know where that came from and I really don’t mean that and ask him as somebody else also mentioned to help me banish the thought from my mind. Sometimes if I am having a lot of trouble concentrating I have to take a break and come back to the rosary later when I’m in a better mood. Lastly praying along with a recording of the rosary often helps me focus too. You can download various free ones from the EWTN audio library, and there are some nice more musical ones on youtube. I like the one from Dana & Fr Scallon, and also the one from Fr Groeschel & Simonetta, they are both on youtube if you search for rosary on youtube the first one that comes up is Dana’s.
 
St. Thomas Aquinas makes very clear that distractions if they are involuntary, do not detract from the fruit of prayer. newadvent.org/summa/3083.htm#article12

St. Francis de Sales, writing on mental prayer, goes so far as to say that if in meditation, or prayer, we did nothing but constantly fight off distractions and return to God, this would still have been a very good and fruitful prayer.
 
St. Thomas Aquinas makes very clear that distractions if they are involuntary, do not detract from the fruit of prayer. newadvent.org/summa/3083.htm#article12

St. Francis de Sales, writing on mental prayer, goes so far as to say that if in meditation, or prayer, we did nothing but constantly fight off distractions and return to God, this would still have been a very good and fruitful prayer.
Amen!
 
Sometimes when I am praying the rosary I will have unwanted thoughts. These can be upsetting and can distract me from praying. For example when I’m meditating on a mystery sometimes a curse or bad thought in relation to the mystery will come into my head, I am worried God thinks I really think those things and that the rosary won’t count because of these thoughts etc… I have OCD/anxiety which I think doesn’t help. Does this happen to you while praying? Please help?
It happens all the time to me. You should read up on St. Theresa D’ Avila who it also happened to. She stopped praying for a while and later came to regret that. She warns us to never give up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top