Upcoming memorials and LOTH

  • Thread starter Thread starter newyorkcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newyorkcatholic

Guest
My ordo for the LOTH (OF) doesn’t treat the upcoming memorials of St. Peter Canisius and St. John (Dec 21 and Dec 23) as regular memorials or optional memorials.

Instead, it says for Lauds and Vespers one can ADD the antiphon and prayer. This sounds sort of like adding a commemoration in the old office.

Anyway, how do I add them? Say the O antiphon, Magnificat, Gloria, repeat antiphon, and then say the saint’s antiphon once? And then at the end, say the Paternoster, the day’s prayer, Amen, add the second saint’s prayer, and then the “Dominus nos benedicat”?

thanks!
 
The readings of the eight days of Advent immediately preceding Christmas are so important that they cannot be replaced.

I don’t know the “official” way to do what you asked because I have never celebrated Liturgy of the Hours with a religious community on those particular dates. But here is what I would personally do.

If it were a saint to whom I have a particular devotion (my patron saint, patron saint of my parish, etc.) I would simply add the Second Reading from the Office of Readings for the saint’s Memorial following the one for the Advent weekday, and I would add the Prayer for the saint’s Memorial at the very end, after the Prayer for the Advent weekday. I probably wouldn’t bother with the Antiphons (if for no other reason than I would find it confusing).

If it is a saint largely unfamiliar to me, I would probably skip it, and keep my focus on the Advent readings and prayers.
 
Thanks … but I’m a stickler for the rubrics and I want to know what the proper way to do it is.

The Ordo is clear, you can’t replace the day with the saint’s memorial (for the reasons you mentioned). But you don’t have to ignore the memorial either, instead you add the antiphon and prayer.

What I don’t get is – how do I do this?
 
Thanks … but I’m a stickler for the rubrics and I want to know what the proper way to do it is.
Then consult the rubrics (General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours):
B. MEMORIALS DURING PRIVILEGED SEASONS
  1. On Sundays, solemnities, and feasts, on Ash Wednesday, during Holy Week,
    and during the octave of Easter, memorials that happen to fall on these days are
    disregarded.
  1. On the weekdays from 17 to 24 December, during the octave of Christmas, and
    on the weekdays of Lent, no obligatory memorials are celebrated, even in
    particular calendars. When any happen to fall during Lent in a given year, they
    are treated as optional memorials.
  1. During privileged seasons, if it is desired to celebrate the office of a
    saint on a day assigned to his or her memorial:
a. in the office of readings, after the patristic reading (with its responsory)
from the Proper of Seasons, a proper reading about the saint (with its
responsory) may follow, with the concluding prayer of the saint;
b. at morning prayer and evening prayer, the ending of the concluding prayer may
be omitted and the saint’s antiphon (from the proper or common) and prayer may
be added.
:tiphat:
tee
 
*a. in the office of readings, after the patristic reading (with its responsory)
from the Proper of Seasons, a proper reading about the saint (with its
responsory) may follow, with the concluding prayer of the saint;

b. at morning prayer and evening prayer, the ending of the concluding prayer may
be omitted and the saint’s antiphon (from the proper or common) and prayer may
be added. *

Thanks, but I’m still not clear on how exactly to do this. So at morning prayer, would I say everything as normal, including the Pater Noster, begin the concluding prayer … then leave out the “Qui vivit et regnat,” say the antiphon (e.g. of St. Peter Canisius), then say his prayer, and THEN add “Qui vivit et regnat” etc? Then conclude with “Dominus nos benedicat …”

What is confusing me is the idea of using the antiphon but not with the Benedictus or Magnificat, and combining two concluding prayers around the antiphon. I am curious about how to do it properly, I don’t want to just guess.
 
my ordo for the loth (of) doesn’t treat the upcoming memorials of st. Peter canisius and st. John (dec 21 and dec 23) as regular memorials or optional memorials.

Instead, it says for lauds and vespers one can add the antiphon and prayer. This sounds sort of like adding a commemoration in the old office.

Anyway, how do i add them? Say the o antiphon, magnificat, gloria, repeat antiphon, and then say the saint’s antiphon once? And then at the end, say the paternoster, the day’s prayer, amen, add the second saint’s prayer, and then the “dominus nos benedicat”?

Thanks!
gilh 239:
  1. During privileged seasons, if it is desired to celebrate the office of a saint on a day assigned to his or her memorial:
A. In the office of readings, after the patristic reading (with its responsory) from the proper of seasons, a proper reading about the saint (with its responsory) may follow, with the concluding prayer of the saint;
b. At morning prayer and evening prayer, the ending of the concluding prayer may be omitted and the saint’s antiphon (from the proper or common) and prayer may be added.
 
I finally found an answer! I will paste it from the Catholic Online Forum. I am quite excited to do this on the 21st, and will probably being doing it often from now on. I love to commemorate all the saints I can, and if I don’t know them, I use the day to learn about that saint.

*Harold,

Here is what the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours states for Memorials during Privileged Seasons (paragraphs 238 - 239):

Quote:
238. On the weekdays from the 17th to the 24th of December, during the octave of Christmas and on the weekdays of Lent, obligatory memorials are not celebrated, even those in particular calendars. If any happen to fall during Lent in a given year, they are treated as optional memorials.
  1. During these seasons, if it is desired to celebrate the Office of a saint on a day assigned to his memorial:
    a) in the Office of Readings, after the patristic reading (with its responsory) from the Proper of Seasons, a proper reading in honor of the saint (with its responsory) may follow, with the concluding prayer of the saint;
    b) at Morning and Evening Prayer, the ending of the concluding prayer may be omitted, and the saint’s antiphon (from the Proper or Common) and prayer added.
Thus, using today as an example, if you wanted to celebrate the Office of Saint Felicity and Saint Perpetua, you would pray the Office of Readings for the day, reading both of the day’s readings, and then add the reading from the Proper of Saints for Saint Felicity and Saint Perpetua (i.e. you would read three readings today). Then you would close the Office of Readings with the proper prayer from Saint Felicity and Saint Perpetua.

For Morning Prayer, you would pray the weekday as if there was no memorial, except that you would pray the closing prayer as follows:

“Father, look on us your children.
Through the discipline of Lent
help us to grow in our desire for you.” → from the weekday office

Then, instead of praying the ending of the concluding prayer (“We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ…”), go to the Proper of Saints and, from the proper for St. Felicity and St. Perpetua, pray the following:

“Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for the sake of justice; the kingdom of heaven
is theirs.” → the proper antiphon for the Canticle of Zechariah

Then, end with the proper prayer from Saints Felicity and Perpetua:

“Father, your love gave the Saints Perpetua and Felicity courage to suffer a cruel martyrdom. By their prayers, help us to grow in love of you. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever.”

Evening Prayer would be prayed in the same way, except the closing prayer would be prayed thusly:

“Father, look on us your children.
Through the discipline of Lent
help us to grow in our desire for you.” → from the weekday office

“The holy friends of Christ rejoice in heaven;
they followed in his footsteps to the end.
They have shed their blood for love of him
and will reign with him
for ever.” -->the proper antiphon for the Canticle of Mary

“Father, your love gave the Saints Perpetua and Felicity courage to suffer a cruel martyrdom. By their prayers, help us to grow in love of you. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever.”

I hope this helps.*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top