US has nukes!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mycroft
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mycroft

umm i heard a rumour that the US has nukes.i think this is a threat to the worlds safety since so far the US i s the only country to use nukes. we better complain to the UN.

40.png
Mycroft:
umm i heard a rumour that the US has nukes.i think this is a threat to the worlds safety since so far the US i s the only country to use nukes. we better complain to the UN.
And because we do, you are not living in a communist controlled country today. Remember that.

40.png
gilliam:
And because we do, you are not living in a communist controlled country today. Remember that.
yeah our nukes kept our country from being communist…weird how i never heard about this before.

40.png
Mycroft:
Uhhh…this is news to you? Good luck with the UN (Useful for Nothing) thing though.
Jennifer

40.png
tcay584:
Uhhh…this is news to you? Good luck with the UN (Useful for Nothing) thing though.
Jennifer
sorry i guess i should have written SARCASM at the end.

40.png
Mycroft:
sorry i guess i should have written SARCASM at the end.
Yes, you know, like a little asterisk with a disclaimer for us thick folks. I’m red faced now :o .
Jennifer

These are such ridiculous claims. Since the advent of the nuclear age, we have come to realize how destabling nuclear weapons could be. Disarmament is done in the interest of preserving the balance of power to keep peace. Thus, when some nickel-and-dime regimes seek nuclear weapons, it is destabalizing and potentially harmful to power balance and world peace. This is precisely why they seek them in the first place, to shift the balance of power in their favor so they can essentially hold their regions hostage. The United States and the other nuclear powers DO NOT act this way. All nuclear powers are in the process of gradually disarming. When a nation seeks these arms, it is only to bring instability and the threat of war.

here’s a question… if the US had not developed atomic weapons in the 1940s, then where and when would they have been developed?

Even without the Manhattan project, I’m sure someone, somewhere else would have figured out how to do it eventually, given the progress in physics through the 1930s.

Not that I’m a fan of nuclear weapons, but I do suspect I prefer the US being the original “gatekeeper” of the technology, rather than them popping up somewhere else in the 1950s or 60s, without our knowledge. Even if our development of the technology, and our somewhat lax security, accelerated the development of nukes in the Soviet Union and elsewhere. My guess is they would have had them by 1960, if not 1949.

But who knows… I think this is similar for Teller’s reasoning for pushing the H-bomb - it was kind of self-evident (in principle, at least), and if we hadn’t done it, the Soviets would have. But I’m not sure in retrospect that was a wise thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back