Used minivans

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blenderx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everything Manualman said. At 120K I would change the transmission fluid ASAP unless it was done at 100K and you know for sure it was done.
Yes! And make sure the change is done via drain and fill. NO flushing machines! ATF is not universal anymore. A lot of van transmissions die beause some dope at a shop used a “one size fits all” fluid. If you’re not real sure your local guy knows better and you can’t DIY, just have the dealer do this service.
 
If you have kids (who else buys minivans?), do check to make sure the Caravan is one with the rear AC option. AC is standard on even the cheapest Caravan out there. REAR rows AC isn’t - extra cost option. Could be easy to miss since test drives are generally from the driver’s seat! There is so much window glass that rear seaters will roast without AC, especially since I’m not sure there are any operable windows back there…

Even I’m not cheap enough to skip rear AC! 😉
LOL, this is a very good point. Our poor preschooler just dies in the back seat, because of the lack of rear ac. (didn’t i say it was a striped down model, we also don’t have automatic locks or automatic windows :p). We always make sure he has a water cup back there.

Our 2006 Caravan does have rear windows that open, in sort of a vent like fashion, but they are difficult to open (have to climb back there or open from the trunk).
 
Yes! And make sure the change is done via drain and fill. NO flushing machines! ATF is not universal anymore. A lot of van transmissions die beause some dope at a shop used a “one size fits all” fluid. If you’re not real sure your local guy knows better and you can’t DIY, just have the dealer do this service.
I’ll have to remember this, thank you! What is ATF?

Our mechanic gave it a thorough examination and he approved, said it was in very good condition for its mileage but could use a tune-up (expensive?). We offered 2300 and we now have a van! (I’m just relieved we won’t have to put the new baby in the trunk of our over-crowded sedan, lol! :eek:) We’ll be getting the fluids and filters changed asap.

We did like the rear-a/c in this vehicle, they work well. And one of the other things I like is that it has sliding doors on either side- one manual, one automatic. So, its not the end of the world if one or the other breaks.

Thank you everyone!
 
The only advice I can really give is stay away from the Dodge Caravans. We had a 1998 and it was a hunk of junk. Nothing but one problem after another. Perhaps the newer models are better, but I wouldn’t risk it. They cost a little more, but I would recommend the Sienne or the Honda Odyssey.

We are in a similar situation. We have outgrown our minivan and are looking for a full size van. Good luck! I know how stressful it is to look for a vehicle when your budget is tight.
Really? My parents had a '96 Caravan, an '00 Caravan and now an '08 Caravan. My brother has an '06 Caravan and we have an '07 Caravan. We all love them. I’ve been driving them for almost as long as I’ve had a license and I have no complaints. 🤷 I like the “stow-n-go” seats in the newer models. 🙂

If looking for a used car, I highly, highly recommend utilizing edmunds.com. They have great advice to help research and prepare you to negotiate. It saved me a lot of money. They also offer their own “True Market Value”, which is more accurate than the traditional Blue Book values. The Blue Book value is based on the average price that make and model is listed for. But of course we all know that is not the same thing as what people actually pay.
 
I’ll have to remember this, thank you! What is ATF?

Our mechanic gave it a thorough examination and he approved, said it was in very good condition for its mileage but could use a tune-up (expensive?). We offered 2300 and we now have a van! (I’m just relieved we won’t have to put the new baby in the trunk of our over-crowded sedan, lol! :eek:) We’ll be getting the fluids and filters changed asap.

We did like the rear-a/c in this vehicle, they work well. And one of the other things I like is that it has sliding doors on either side- one manual, one automatic. So, its not the end of the world if one or the other breaks.

Thank you everyone!
I guess I’m late with my advice. :o I’m glad you found what you were looking for. 👍
 
I’ll have to remember this, thank you! What is ATF?
Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Each manufacturer seems to have their own specific type they use in their transmissions. There is no “generic” transmission fluid brand suitable to be used in “most” transmissions (not like engine oils). Given the cost of replacing a transmission I would always use what the manufacturer recommends and I’d read the owners manual to see how often you should do it. Always follow the “extreme duty” recommendations.

While manualman says not to let them use a power flush machine I have never had an issue with a transmission being flushed by letting the transmission pump flush its self.

Basicly they disconnect a cooling line from the radiator and let the transmission pump suck first a “cleaner” then fresh transmission fluid through the system without ever dropping the pan. This is about the only way to ensure all the transmission fluid it replaced. All transmissions that I have worked with have a filter (actually a screen) in the pan. By dropping the pan you can replace the screen but you only get half the fluid, the other half is in the torque converter and most modern cars do not have a way to drain them without removing the transmission. Some people are insistant that the screen needs to be replaced - I’ve found that if the screen is fouled enough with worn clatch pack parts that its in danger of actually clogging your transmission is most likely ruined or worn out and changing the fluid is an act of futility. The cleaner will actually clean the valve body of sludge before refilling it with fresh fluid.

Some swear by dropping the pan and filter and others (like me) swear by letting the transmission flush itself with fresh fluid. The only time I drop the pan is on older cars (like my Bronco with a C6) that has a drain on the torque converter so that all the fluid can be drained. Usually the dealership will have a setup for what the manufacturer recommends.

I don’t know of anyone that thinks the “reverse power flush” is a good idea (acutally using a machine to force the fluid through the transmission in the reverse of its normal flow).
 
These days “tune up” really just means spark plug replacement. Shouldn’t be TOO bad unless yours is a make that requires half the world to be dissembled to access the plugs.

As SamH said, there are different philosophies of ATF change. Plain drain/fill does only replace half, which is why I typically do it at least twice as often as the “normal” service interval calls for. More for cars with bad transmission reps.

Some makes allow this easier than others. Most GM’s require you to remove the whole lower pan, which in turn requires a new gasket upon installation. Our Honda has a simple drain plug, making a drain/fill easier and neater than an engine oil change!

Manual transmissions are best of all, of course. Fluid might need changing once in it’s life (note screen name!)… Not applicable in a minivan thread though!
 
These days “tune up” really just means spark plug replacement. Shouldn’t be TOO bad unless yours is a make that requires half the world to be dissembled to access the plugs.
Agreed.

I would follow the recomended intervals on the spark plug replacement. Most modern engines have COP (Coil on Plug) or multiple coil pack iginition systems. Letting your plugs get marginal will make the coils work harder and fail sooner. Replacing the plugs is much cheaper than replacing the coil on plug wires (can be hundreds of dollars) or the multiple coil packs many engine have. I just paid Midas to replace the ones on our Kia, it needed the intake partially removed to get to all the plugs (not cheap either). When I saw all that was involved I thought I’d be better off letting someone else do it.

Its also a good time to replace the fuel filter (usually a neglected item) and the air filter. Half clogged fuel filters cause the modern high pressure electric fuel pumps to fail faster (very expensive to replace on any vehicle) and the air filter helps with your fuel mileage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top