Using swear words?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theresalux
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Theresalux

Guest
Just out of curiosity, is there any sin in using swear words?

Clearly using the Lords name in vain would constitute a sin, but what about lesser words?

Like “what the h* ll?” “Aww da* m!” Or “sh*t!”
Clearly we recognize these words to be impolite, but is there any sin attached to using these words?
 
Last edited:
No it is not a sin unless you use it to hurt someone, say something blasphemous, or it causes scandal. Maybe not the best words to use though just because they are kind of vulgar and you can find better words to explain yourself
 
It isn’t charitable to use vulgar expletives.

If it isn’t okay to say them in front of a little kid then it is okay to say them to an adult.
 
The Word was made flesh.

Words do matter.

Think of some other words in which to express yourself.
 
Ok, the consensus would say that using such words is uncharitable at least, and potentially venially sinful at most.

Next question, could any amount of this type of swearing constitute a mortal sin?

I would say that teaching a child such words, or attacking someone with such words might be cause for mortal sin if you knowing do it…but what about using bad word in the midst of frustration? Or a burst of anger? Or pain?
 
Last edited:
I doubt there is mortal sin involved unless you were using them to blasphème. In and of themselves the words are not sinful. They are just more vulgar, but I think it would be scrupulous to think it a sin if you just did it out if frustration or if you stubbed a toe or something.
 
I doubt there is mortal sin involved unless you were using them to blasphème. In and of themselves the words are not sinful. They are just more vulgar, but I think it would be scrupulous to think it a sin if you just did it out if frustration or if you stubbed a toe or something.
I’m thinking more so in a conversation I had recently. I was becoming frustrated with my mom and I angrily said “well what the h*** (and then the rest of sentence that is currently unimportant)?!”

I rarely use foul language around her and I later apologized for my language, but I can’t help but feeling bad about it. It was out of frustration and slight anger with her about something that transpired and I felt like using a swear would express my displeasure. Poor choice of words.
 
Probably not a sin. Hell isn’t even really a bad word and it is not like you were telling your mom to go there. Maybe there was some sin in arguing with her but that is also normal. Don’t stress about it
 
It is a matter of language and taste and not a matter of sin.
Some very strong words were once commonplace amongst different civilisations/parties.
 
But this is about today. James 1:26

New International Version
Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.

New Living Translation
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless.

English Standard Version
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.
 
Not quite sure where it is saying that swear words are a sin there. I can use several swear words and be totally positive about you. I can use no swear words at all and degrade you totally as a human made in the image of God.
 
James 3:9

New International Version
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness.

New Living Translation
Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God.

English Standard Version
With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.
 
Last edited:
Unless directed towards cursing a person, said in anger or otherwise said inappropriately, there is no sin in non-blasphemous swear words. Any sin would be in the intent behind using the word (such as to hurt someone else, to express rage at someone else) and not the word itself.
 
Unless directed towards cursing a person, said in anger or otherwise said inappropriately, there is no sin in non-blasphemous swear words. Any sin would be in the intent behind using the word (such as to hurt someone else, to express rage at someone else) and not the word itself.
Best answer on CAF I have seen yet.
 
Last edited:
When your parents tell you ‘these are bad words,’ don’t use them.
 
Some very strong words were once commonplace amongst different civilisations/parties.
They still are.

There are words in English that are considered okay language among US English speakers but considered bad, dirty words among UK English speakers.

Similarly, there are words in English that I would not use in the workplace because they’re considered vulgar, but that my European colleagues who speak English as a second language use pretty freely among themselves, because the word doesn’t carry the same level of vulgarity for them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top