valid baptism

  • Thread starter Thread starter francesmonique
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

francesmonique

Guest
Would a persons baptism still be valid if both the godparents were not catholic? (prior to the baptism.) Would she still be a catholic?
 
I chose a godparent for my daughter that was a catholic but had since been baptised into a different christian religion. I did not think anything of it at the time but I now realise what a terrible thing I have done and am worried sick about it. Is my daughter ok. I thank you for your replies.
 
Would a persons baptism still be valid if both the godparents were not catholic? (prior to the baptism.) Would she still be a catholic?
The presumption is that if a child is validly Baptized and the parents become Catholic, if the child is under the age of reason at the time, the child is accepted as Catholic also at the time the parents become Catholic.

I misread your original post. The status (prior to or after) of the Godparents does not effect the validity of the Baptism. Their qualifications should have been verified by the pastor of the Catholic church where the Baptism took place. But if he failed to do this it does not effect the validity.
 
While at least one godparent is supposed to be Catholic, the lack of a Catholic godparent does not invalidate the baptism.

Remember, in danger of death a person can be baptised by any layperson using the correct Trinitarian formula. . .and with NO GODPARENTS at all.

Likewise, a person is ‘still’ validly baptized if his/her godparents were Catholic at the time of the baptism but later lapsed or left the faith completely. THEIR personal faith whether before, during or after the baptism has no effect on the validity of the sacrament performed.
 
Thanks for your reply, but it is the godparents that are both not catholic.
 
What makes a baptism valid is the application of water (ideally by immersion, but there are other ways) on the candidate saying this or similar words.
  1. The servant of God NAME is baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. (Byzantine)
  2. NAME, be baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. (Assyrian)
  3. NAME, I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. (Latin)
The Godparents do NOT affect this, as they are not essential to the ceremony.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top