Valid Confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jart
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jart

Guest
I just got back from Confession. There is a priest at the parish I went to who I normally avoid going to Confession with.

Was this Confession valid?

I had multiple sins I wanted to confess but after the first one he stopped me and started explaining the sin. He didn’t allow me to finish my confession. I had the full intent on saying everything but wasn’t given the chance.

I think it is valid since my full intent was to confess everything but I want to make sure.

Thanks
 
As long as you didn’t intentionally withhold any mortal sins, confessed at least one sin, and he said the words of Absolution, yes it was a valid confession. If you had any mortal sins to confess, I would take it/them to Confession and be sure to get them out at the next opportunity anyway though.
 
All of them were mortal that I needed to confess but I had full intention saying confession everything. I will confess them next time I go but can I still receive the Eucharist tomorrow?
 
If you think you have mortal sin to confess, ask the priest to hear your confession before Mass tomorrow. Most priests are there quite early. If you arrive 30-45 minutes before Mass and ask for some time for confession, he might accommodate you.

If the priest spent time explaining the sin, perhaps he was saying that what you described wasn’t a mortal sin? (not sure, but may be a possibility)

You might also sit with another priest (later in the week) and explain your situation, asking for some direction about how to handle this in the future.
 
I agree completely with Orchanian. Take care of it before Mass and ask later ask what to do if it happens again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top