Vanishing Threads

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rau
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I predict that this thread will be closed or disappeared very soon 😉 In fact, I’m surprised that it hasn’t already!

But seriously, this is the sort of thing that turned me off to Catholicism - the paternalistic view that “we know what’s best for you”; in this case, the idea that readers will somehow be harmed by the expression of strong or controversial opinions.
 
The Pope’s doves getting attacked by other birds must be a “heated topic” too. Thread closed in just over an hour of the OP. At least it didn’t disappear. 🤷

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=855053
I looked at the thread and one of the posters mentioned that there was a 2nd thread concerning the Pope’s doves. If you are so concerned, contact the Moderator which in Catholic news is Robert Bray.
 
And I predict that this thread will be closed or disappeared very soon 😉 In fact, I’m surprised that it hasn’t already!

But seriously, this is the sort of thing that turned me off to Catholicism - the paternalistic view that “we know what’s best for you”; in this case, the idea that readers will somehow be harmed by the expression of strong or controversial opinions.
I think that’s too strong a condemnation, or at least a wrong reason for which to take issue with the censoring.

I think we serve no one’s interest by leaving entirely offensive or zero-value material lying around. Eg. I noticed a post get obliterated that linked to a Youtube video having no connection to the Thread topic or discussion. It was just mischievous. If someone started a thread arguing that some politician is the devil-incarnate, and we should rise up and do whatever - then ditch it. No explanation needed. Anyone who participated would clearly know why it went (and maybe they need to go too…).

But I just kind of think that in the case of a thread that seems broadly similar to so many others, in topic and in nature of discussion, something more appropriate than deleting without trace would be in order.
 
And I predict that this thread will be closed or disappeared very soon 😉 In fact, I’m surprised that it hasn’t already!

But seriously, this is the sort of thing that turned me off to Catholicism - the paternalistic view that “we know what’s best for you”; in this case, the idea that readers will somehow be harmed by the expression of strong or controversial opinions.
It’s one thing to have “strong views or opinions” it is another when people start to attack either each other or groups of people out there. I’ve looked at forum sites where there is little moderating going on and they usually become very nasty. Nor does one want to see people post broad sweeping statements concerning groups of people like homosexuality or homosexuals which was the subject of the two threads OP was complaining about in the first place. It is one thing to discuss hot potato topics, it is another when the conversation turns into bashing others which I suspect is what closed those threads down. Look at it this way, if your were someone that struggles in that area and want some help, it does that person no good when a religious web forum such as CAF lets stands bashing posts about homosexuality or homosexuals hense forth that is most likely why the threads were pulled. It’s one thing to discuss morality and what is right and wrong and God’s plan for human sexuality, it is another when people start to pile on or bash or state false generalizations about people that struggle in that area.
 
I looked at the thread and one of the posters mentioned that there was a 2nd thread concerning the Pope’s doves. If you are so concerned, contact the Moderator which in Catholic news is Robert Bray.
Thanks for your advice, but my post was a simple observation, not an expression of concern.

Interestingly, the thread has been re-opened. I guess the birds were not such a hot-button topic after all.
 
… - the paternalistic view that “we know what’s best for you”; in this case, the idea that readers will somehow be harmed by the expression of strong or controversial opinions.
I don’t think that is the view that is motivating the removal of certain postings. CAF wants to host a discussion forum that is valued and respected by its users. If they allowed every sort of posting with no moderating at all, this forum would become little more than another Usenet group. I don’t know if you have ever accessed Usenet with a Newsreader, but the unmoderated groups there are a wasteland, full of spam and vulgarity. It is a most unpleasant experience to try to utilize such a group for any rational purpose. As a user of a variety of on-line forums, I can testify that a well-moderated forum is real treat. CAF has set up rules that are designed to keep this forum a good experience for the vast majority of its users. It has nothing to do with a paternalistic attitude of “we know what’s best for you”. It is more of a case of listening to users say “This is what we want” - quite the opposite of paternalism.
 
I don’t think that is the view that is motivating the removal of certain postings. CAF wants to host a discussion forum that is valued and respected by its users. If they allowed every sort of posting with no moderating at all, this forum would become little more than another Usenet group. I don’t know if you have ever accessed Usenet with a Newsreader, but the unmoderated groups there are a wasteland, full of spam and vulgarity. It is a most unpleasant experience to try to utilize such a group for any rational purpose. As a user of a variety of on-line forums, I can testify that a well-moderated forum is real treat. CAF has set up rules that are designed to keep this forum a good experience for the vast majority of its users. It has nothing to do with a paternalistic attitude of “we know what’s best for you”. It is more of a case of listening to users say “This is what we want” - quite the opposite of paternalism.
An example of what I had in mind was a recent, now-disappeared thread in this very forum, on the topic of whether masturbation is harmful apart from being sinful. It was certainly an appropriate topic for the forum, and the conversation was civil and thoughtful, though there were widely differing opinions, just as you’d expect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top