Various Forms of the Mass [edited]

  • Thread starter Thread starter xixxvmcm85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to come to the abbey I am associated with. Every Mass is sung, using the OF, and using Gregorian Chant for the propers and the Kyriale. Every day. It certainly seems “high Mass” compared to the local parishes!

French is used for the rest (prayers, readings, homily, intercessions, Eucharistic prayer, etc), but even the readings are sung in French plainchant, as is everything else. The only part that isn’t sung is the homily and the intercessions on weekdays.

It’s a beautiful example illustrating that the lack of reverence isn’t structural to the OF Mass, it is due to lack of care and attention to detail by liturgists and clergy, because the abbey shows that a perfectly solemn and reverential Mass is still possible with the OF provided it is done right.
Sounds like St-Benoit-du-Lac. If that’s right, it’s not surprising since the Abbey is part of the Congregation St-Pierre-de-Solesmes. I’ve not experienced Mass but have attended Vespers at another abbey (in Eurpoe) of the Solesmes congregation and that was also quite by the (Benedictine) book, and all in Latin. 🙂 I was under the impression that Mass was also (at least occasionally) done in Latin as well, but perhaps I was mistaken in that. Or perhaps it depends on the particular abbey.
 
Sounds like St-Benoit-du-Lac. If that’s right, it’s not surprising since the Abbey is part of the Congregation St-Pierre-de-Solesmes. I’ve not experienced Mass but have attended Vespers at another abbey (in Eurpoe) of the Solesmes congregation and that was also quite by the (Benedictine) book, and all in Latin. 🙂 I was under the impression that Mass was also (at least occasionally) done in Latin as well, but perhaps I was mistaken in that. Or perhaps it depends on the particular abbey.
You hit the nail on the head, it is St-Benoît-du-Lac of which I am an oblate. Lauds and Vepsers are in Latin Gregorian chant. The other hours use the Latin hymn but the rest is French plainchant.

The Mass is mixed. The sisters of Ste-Marie-des-Deux-Montagnes just outside of Montreal, part of the same congregation, do the Mass entirely in Latin twice a week. It is presided by Dom André Saint-Cyr, one of the best authorities on Gregorian Chant in Canada and in fact the original choirmaster of the small schola I sing in (Sherbrooke, QC), and my first teacher of Chant. He has a marvelous voice and it’s probably well worth the detour to hear him preside a Latin (OF) Mass.

The Solesmes congregation takes liturgy very seriously, whether in French or Latin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top