T
tmeier45
Guest
I agree that vasectomy is more ethical than birth control, however I too would like to see the source for where vasectomy is a venial sin, since venial sins are forgiven at Mass.
I have to agree. My family from my last wife was five and she decided that that was enough and so she wanted to have her tubes tied, I cried and told Jesus that if this was better for her health (she bled profusely), then I would agree and then I prayed about it, telling her that if it was good for her hearth.A Vasectomy is a Mortal Sin when done with full knowledge as the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches.
Culpability is the real question and one that is specific to each individual.
Good point and God Bless.I have to agree. My family from my last wife was five and she decided that that was enough and so she wanted to have her tubes tied, I cried and told Jesus that if this was better for her health (she bled profusely), then I would agree and then I prayed about it, telling her that if it was good for her hearth.
Latter after the operation she told me that Jesus had told her off. I asked her why she wanted the tubes tied and she said for her own desires.
I cried and told her that mine were purely health.
So, that told me that if a persons reasons are not honorable to God then it is NOT the right thing to do. God is NOT one to play around with. Remember also that God bade man the leader of the house and if a man decides against God then he is out of order and that spirit can come through the family.
Godbless
Yes God is NOT a God to be mocked. Our Bible tells us that “thou shalt not put the Lord thy God to the test” Putting this straight in any way we think, that is the way we will be blessed or cursed it is not by God but by our own thoughts love for God and His creation or lust for worldly position and possession.Good point and God Bless.
I also suspect that some people may tell people good reasons for their decisions and yet in their hearts it is not for these good reasons but rather reasons of this world and not God. In these cases we should remember that God knows us better than we know ourselves and if our hearts are not in the right place then God will know. We can fool others but never God.
Tell me about it. I went through with the procedure, and have hated that fact that I did it. I am still sick to my stomach about the decision, and basically spitting in the face of God when all around me I could sense heaven screaming down and saying NO, DON’T DO IT!!!What we sew the bible tells us we will reap.
harsh…
And that brother is the very reason why God’s “mercy” over rides the sin, when we seek forgiveness. Remember David, when he took to bed another mans wife firstly sending the husband off to the front line. We are all sinners to the max and to the end. If a person says they are not then they deceive them self.Tell me about it. I went through with the procedure, and have hated that fact that I did it. I am still sick to my stomach about the decision, and basically spitting in the face of God when all around me I could sense heaven screaming down and saying NO, DON’T DO IT!!!
And now I have a growth that I have to get tested for cancer. All the signs point to it being testicular cancer. I also had a mini-stroke 3 weeks ago (T.I.A. - transient ischemic attack), so I’m definitely getting some Old Testament style punishment for my choices. The best I can do is offer up whatever pain I suffer and listen the Lord when he’s telling me something, instead of ignoring Him.
That is exactly how we as the Faithful should approach suffering in any situation, even if we feel we don’t “deserve” it. I can’t even imagine your situation (cancer), but I pray that God gives you spiritual strength, and physical healing if it be His will.Tell me about it. I went through with the procedure, and have hated that fact that I did it. I am still sick to my stomach about the decision, and basically spitting in the face of God when all around me I could sense heaven screaming down and saying NO, DON’T DO IT!!!
And now I have a growth that I have to get tested for cancer. All the signs point to it being testicular cancer. I also had a mini-stroke 3 weeks ago (T.I.A. - transient ischemic attack), so I’m definitely getting some Old Testament style punishment for my choices. The best I can do is offer up whatever pain I suffer and listen the Lord when he’s telling me something, instead of ignoring Him.
A vasectomy is a disfigurement of the body and is the same as mutilating oneself. Doing this so as not to have children is a sin and when done with full knowledge of this is a grave sin. However, if one later has a contrite heart and knows they did wrong and goes to confession then that person can and will be forgiven this sin. The sin does not represent itself because they still have a vasectomy. In some cases the person will opt to have a reversal done and in some of these cases the person will be blessed with more children.A very well-educated and active Catholic who is also a co-worker of mine, recently “required” that her husband have a vasectomy after their second child, but from everything I’ve ever heard, this is just another form of birth control - but unlike birth control pills which are sinful only when in use, a vasectomy is “the sin that keeps on giving” (or in this case, preventing), so it is truly the consequence of the intial sin that continues on, even if both the wife and husband confess this sin and are forgiven, since…
unlike birth control pills which are sinful only when in use, a vasectomy is “the sin that keeps on giving” (or in this case, preventing), so it is truly the consequence of the intial sin that continues on,
My friend, I had a vasectomy a bit over ten years ago. I, too, regret having it done. At the time God knows that there were circumstances that clouded my thoughts. Anyway, I went to confession and I am forgiven. Whoever says that this is a sin that keeps on giving really does not know the compassion, infinite love and forgiveness of Christ. I read that post whereby it was said that now it is as if I am with a prostitute. How incredibly absurd is that!! My wife is like a saint and our love for each other I could only hope that others could experience.
So if a vasectomy is the sin that keeps on giving, then isn’t the pill the sin that keeps on taking, as in taking a life? Not sure what you’re trying to get at. I’m not condoning my actions in having a vasectomy. I hate the fact that I did it, and totally regret it. I mutilated my body and I will suffer the concequences for it someday in purgatory.
But it sounds like (maybe I’m wrong) you are suggesting that each time my wife and I make love, we are sinning. To take this concept further and have a comparison, one could say your concept as applied to original sin could be this; that original sin can never be lifted at baptism until I undo what our ancestors did. I cannot undo what Adam and Eve did, but Christ can…and He DID!!!So why can’t Christ undo my sins through the sacrament of confession? The priest will not tell me (more than likely) that for my penance I must get a reversal before absolution can be given. If I killed someone, then I may be told to turn myself into the police before receiving absolution.
The point is that once a sin is forgiven…it is forgiven. One only needs to seek absolution with a contrite heart. Unlike Judas, who may have been sorry for his sins, but didn’t seek forgiveness…I do seek it, know and believe that Christ will forgive me.![]()
You know better than the Church? The Church does not require a reversal for absolution but you do? And your last comment about the prostitute is so incredibly ridiculous that I cannot even comment on that…:bigyikes:A very well-educated and active Catholic who is also a co-worker of mine, recently “required” that her husband have a vasectomy after their second child, but from everything I’ve ever heard, this is just another form of birth control - but unlike birth control pills which are sinful only when in use, a vasectomy is “the sin that keeps on giving” (or in this case, preventing), so it is truly the consequence of the intial sin that continues on, even if both the wife and husband confess this sin and are forgiven, since…
…the only way to end the “sin that keeps on giving” is to have the process reversed - some site the monetary expense, but the final spiritual expense might be eternally much greater, since a vasetomy, as many physicians have found, changes the joy of ultimate intimacy to one that, to be brutal, is nothing more than having sex with a prostitute - since it is for the physical pleasure (or in other words, encourages fornication), nothing more…
Thank you for sharing…To be very practical, it’d be similar to a married woman who takes birth control pills, but then confesses the sin and asks for forgiveness - but continues to take them, without ever again asking for forgiveness, explaining “that I’ve already asked for forgiveness and have been forgiven” - truly, it’s a twisted form of rationalizing an “ongoing” sin that can only stop when the problem that causes the sin is stopped, and that is not to say that men who have had a vasectomy (as mentioned by another poster above) are not truly sorry and are forgiven, since as we are taught the Lord does provide His mercy and does forgive them, but…
…as I’ve learned when it comes to my own various sins, while we are sorry and are always forgiven when we ask with as much human sincerity as we can muster to be forgiven, we still almost always must suffer the consequences of our actions, and that is perhaps why the Lord often does not inflict punishment of His own, since He knows that we are already suffering a self-inflicted punishment that is often much worse than anything that the Lord would inflict upon us, since “His burden is light”…
Glades2
Yes, having a vasectomy is a mortal sin. It is not unforgiveable but, as with any sin, you must be truly sorry when you go to Confession to confess it. Committing a sin with the idea in mind that you can just go to Confession later is a very serious offense itself.Hi. I’m new to the forum and came across this thread while Googling “Catholic Church Vasectomy.” Anyhow, my wife and I have 3 children and we feel that we are finished having children. I have an appointment to have a vasectomy April 8. Now I can’t stop thinking about what the repercussions will be.
I’m Catholic. I was born Catholic. I’m raising my children Catholic. My wife is Baptist. I’ve been reading on the internet how a mortal sin is a grave sin committed with full knowledge of what you’re doing. Is getting a vasectomy a mortal sin? I’ve read that after people have vasectomies, they can go to Confession and be forgiven for their sin. Will I still be able to be forgiven if I go ahead and have this vasectomy with full knowledge that it is against God’s will?
I’m really struggling with this. Now, I’m not a model Catholic. My wife and I had premarital sex. We also use birth control. If I decide not to go ahead with this vasectomy, my wife will probably just have her tubes tied. Shouldn’t I just go ahead with the vasectomy since its safer and easier than what my wife would have to endure? Or am I just justifying? I don’t know what to do. I think I may approach the Pastor at my church. I’m already having second thoughts and I just made the appointment yesterday!
Help!