L
Light1111
Guest
Hello to all!
Often posters ask about other sections of the Gospels, or Scripture: Are there more passages to Matthew, etc.
I am wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Vatican archives? I realize most of what we hear about them come from the mass-media (not a Catholic viewpoint), so I wondered what the official line of the Papacy is, regarding the secrecy which surrounds these many works contained beneath the Vatican. For example: I recall learning, as a child, that the Secret Service would release the “truth” about JFK’s assassination at the time of Jackie O’s and JFK Jr’s deaths, deeming that by that time, it will be appropriate, and no longer harmful, to do so. However, their deaths are now long past, and we still never learned who shot JFK!
Have there ever been similar promises made, on the part of the Vatican? That certain of the documents will be made public (or viewable to Catholics) by a certain point in time? Or have they instead said that these documents will remain hidden? Also, is it known which documents, specifically, the Archives contain?
I’ve always been so curious about this! I first heard of these Archives from a nun in Catholic School, and always imagined monks creeping down there and reading from the stacks by candlelight. A romantic image indeed, but I have no idea how this compares to the truth.
Thank you and peace!
Light1111
Often posters ask about other sections of the Gospels, or Scripture: Are there more passages to Matthew, etc.
I am wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Vatican archives? I realize most of what we hear about them come from the mass-media (not a Catholic viewpoint), so I wondered what the official line of the Papacy is, regarding the secrecy which surrounds these many works contained beneath the Vatican. For example: I recall learning, as a child, that the Secret Service would release the “truth” about JFK’s assassination at the time of Jackie O’s and JFK Jr’s deaths, deeming that by that time, it will be appropriate, and no longer harmful, to do so. However, their deaths are now long past, and we still never learned who shot JFK!
Have there ever been similar promises made, on the part of the Vatican? That certain of the documents will be made public (or viewable to Catholics) by a certain point in time? Or have they instead said that these documents will remain hidden? Also, is it known which documents, specifically, the Archives contain?
I’ve always been so curious about this! I first heard of these Archives from a nun in Catholic School, and always imagined monks creeping down there and reading from the stacks by candlelight. A romantic image indeed, but I have no idea how this compares to the truth.
Thank you and peace!
Light1111