Vatican envoy: 'no further room for denial' on climate change [CC]

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholic_Press
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholic_Press

The Vatican’s representative at UN offices in Geneva has proclaimed that there is “no further room for denial” that "human-induced climate change is a scientific reality."Speaking to a …

More…

It is a very grave error for bishops to involve themselves in partisan politics and scientific debates, with the exception of human life/human morality/religious freedom issues. Bishops should not be dictating economic or political systems.

We should all pray for the Church. It is in grave danger in many countries today.

The Vatican’s representative at UN offices in Geneva has proclaimed that there is “no further room for denial” that "human-induced climate change is a scientific reality."Speaking to a …

More…
Not in my opinion and thousands of scientists. I suppose we are supposed to go back to the horse and buggy. It would be nice if there were a cheap, clean source of energy that worked in all kinds of weather. But none is on the horizon.

Linus2nd

It is a very grave error for bishops to involve themselves in partisan politics and scientific debates, with the exception of human life/human morality/religious freedom issues.
Last time I checked humans cannot breathe under water, so climate change is a life issue.

Not in my opinion and thousands of scientists. I suppose we are supposed to go back to the horse and buggy. It would be nice if there were a cheap, clean source of energy that worked in all kinds of weather. But none is on the horizon.
Yes, and it would be nice if the oil stock was infinite, but it isn’t.

The party’s over. Get over it.

When he speaks of climate change, is he talking about warming or cooling?

Don’t expect Americans to start caring about the environment anytime soon. Most pollution in the world comes from the United States, but they won’t lift a finger to fix it because they seemingly thing they have a right to pollute. Perhaps it’s time for some UN sanctions against the US like they did against Iran?

Yes, and it would be nice if the oil stock was infinite, but it isn’t.

The party’s over. Get over it.
It must be a burden to you, this absolute certainty of knowledge you possess. And yet there is no relief to be had, surrounded as you are by so many people who “don’t get it,” like you do. Now, seemingly emboldened by the recent announcement from the Vatican envoy, the need for dialog apparently is over, as evidenced by the statement “The party’s over. Get over it.” That has to be the most helpful and effective technical and philosophical argument I have yet heard.

Mob sentiments and comments from sociologists aside, the debate is clearly not yet settled, and life apparently still goes on in spite of the informed skepticism you are powerless against.

It is commonly said that nature abhors a vacuum. Nature also abhors absolute stability.

It’s a climate. Climates change. It’s what they do, based on an extremely complex set of variables that we humans cannot control for good or bad (short of setting off all our nuclear weapons). THAT is what needs to be gotten over – the naivety of the idea that we have anything to do with it or can do anything about it.

Don’t expect Americans to start caring about the environment anytime soon. Most pollution in the world comes from the United States, but they won’t lift a finger to fix it because they seemingly thing they have a right to pollute. Perhaps it’s time for some UN sanctions against the US like they did against Iran?
Yeah, like the US never did anything to reduce their polution:rolleyes: (the link leads to a map which shows the amount various nations pollute).

And it’s not as if a lot of what we have done hasn’t gone out to the rest of the world…

Last time I checked humans cannot breathe under water, so climate change is a life issue.
Which we won’t have to worry about since water will not cover all of the land even if it all melted.

It is a very grave error for bishops to involve themselves in partisan politics and scientific debates, with the exception of human life/human morality/religious freedom issues. Bishops should not be dictating economic or political systems.

We should all pray for the Church. It is in grave danger in many countries today.
I agree. To implement solutions would mean the entire civilized world giving up its power to accomplish next to nothing.

I’m just surprised they aren’t listening to the dissenters.

China has been polluting more than the USA for several years now, and if anything, the Americans have too much red tape on their environmental laws.

Perhaps it’s time for sanctions against the environmental shakedown artists who are using this “science” to line their pockets while doing nothing to improve so called climate change.

As for the U.N send them to another country.

Yeah, lets throw sanctions on the US, for already being one of the most environmentally friendly nations on earth. That makes sense.

… Isn’t the UN headquartered in the United States?

the need for dialog apparently is over
Dialog over what? Geological constraints? Basic properties of exponential function? Laws of thermodynamics? Optical properties of CO2? None of these things are negotiable.

Which we won’t have to worry about since water will not cover all of the land even if it all melted.
Per geologic data, equilibrium sea level for 400ppm CO2 is 14m above present.

http://sustainablecitiescollective....es/imagepicker/566036/Shanghai-&-Yancheng.jpg

The map above shows 20million people who will have to move somewhere, and I doubt they will be welcomed with open arms… and that’s just one region.

For starters, 100 million people live within 1m of present sea level, and 1m sea level rise is IPCC estimate for 2100. Probably too conservative, because the Antarctic ice sheet is collapsing faster than anyone thought several years ago when the IPCC prediction was made.

Dialog over what? Geological constraints? Basic properties of exponential function? Laws of thermodynamics? Optical properties of CO2? None of these things are negotiable.
That analysis is FAR too linear.

The fact that the data in the studies is flawed, politically motivated and that NO ONE has has modeled the entire planet as a dynamic system shows there is a lot more going on here than what the largely unqualified climate alarmist movement would have us believe.

Per geologic data, equilibrium sea level for 400ppm CO2 is 14m above present.

http://sustainablecitiescollective....es/imagepicker/566036/Shanghai-&-Yancheng.jpg

The map above shows 20million people who will have to move somewhere, and I doubt they will be welcomed with open arms… and that’s just one region.

For starters, 100 million people live within 1m of present sea level, and 1m sea level rise is IPCC estimate for 2100. Probably too conservative, because the Antarctic ice sheet is collapsing faster than anyone thought several years ago when the IPCC prediction was made.
:rolleyes:

People move all of the time for different reasons. Living next to water carries risks. Besides, killing civilization won’t stop the seas from rising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back