I
IanS
Guest
What are the first historical/traditional accounts of Christians honoring Mary?
Saints and Doctors of the Church in East and West have vied with one another in proclaiming Mary’s praises - we can read the beautiful and touching tribute of their devotion in a long line of witnesses to the tradition of Christendom concerning the wonder and excellence of Mary’s Motherhood, from the time of Ephrem the Syrian in dim antiquity, to St. Alphonsus Liguori; but no poet, no theologian, no Christian mystic has ever uttered the words that may approach in sublimity the simple words of the holy Gospel - “Mary, the Mother of Jesus.”What are the first historical/traditional accounts of Christians honoring Mary?
You are absolutely right, of course! I stand corrected.Actually, Mike, I would say the angel Gabriel, in Luke 1.![]()
If you are talking to Christians, first ask them why the biblical evidence (as cited above) is not good enough for them. Do they rely on corroborating extra-biblical evidence for all the distinctive beliefs that they themselves might hold?Thanks for the responses. I guess what I’m looking for are extra scriptural references. I am aware of what is in the Bible, however sometimes I am challenged by others who do not believe the first century Christians honored Mary or accepted the Marian Dogmas the way Catholics do today. They believe it’s just something we made up long after the apostles.
Even though this quote seems to us to be quite late (actually only 280-something years after the last Apostle, John), it is quite early in Church history terms. There are two things to keep in mind here.“It helps us to understand the terms ‘first-born’ and ‘only-begotten’ when the Evangelist tells that Mary remained a virgin ‘until she brought forth her first-born son’ [Matt. 1:25]; for neither did Mary, who is to be honored and praised above all others, marry anyone else, nor did she ever become the Mother of anyone else, but even after childbirth she remained always and forever an immaculate virgin” (The Trinity 3:4 [A.D. 386]).