Venting to family vs detraction

  • Thread starter Thread starter amaxiner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amaxiner

Guest
So I might have committed a mortal sin but I am unsure of it.

I was talking with my parents about my roommate and how she has changed since getting a boyfriend and I dont wish to live with her anymore. My parents didnt seem to understand why I didnt like him which made me very upset and I finally shared something personal that my roommate told me about him that was part of the reason why I dislike him. I definitely came off as angry and maybe a little hurtful towards her boyfriend as if I wanted my family on my side, but it was the heat of the moment and only to my mom and sister. My family has met my roommate maybe once so they only know her through what I say which honestly has been pretty positive until this situation and never has nor probably will ever meet her boyfriend, and since it’s my family they dont share any mutuals. Is this considered detraction? Or just some unfortunate venial venting? I know it can be a pretty fine line and I’ve made a lot of positive progress when it comes to sharing certain information, but I’m definitely not perfect and dont want to offend Jesus by receiving eucharist in a state of mortal sin. Thanks!
 
Please discuss this with your priest in confession. We cannot help you determine whether or not you committed a mortal sin.
 
As Fauken says: talk to your priest, not to a random assortment of online strangers.
 
CCC 2477 "Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury. He becomes guilty:
  • of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor;
  • of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;
  • of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them."
So, did you commit detraction? Well, is there an objectively valid reason you spoke up (i.e. the safety/health/wellbeing of your roommate or of yourself if around this guy, or the potential for him to harm someone in your family, etc.)?

Also consider that “detraction” need not be considered mortal sin if the conditions for mortal sin were not preset (grave matter, full knowledge, full consent of the will). If you purposefully set out to bash this guy’s reputation so you could intentionally do him some unnecessary harm, that’s pretty bad. But, it sounds like this was not the case with you. It sounds like you were concerned about your friend, and you spoke up about the guy in “the heat of the moment”.
Is it detraction? Maybe (if there was not a good reason to say something). But it seems also like a venial matter instead of mortal sin.
As others mentioned, bring this up to your Priest at confession to get his advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top