Verbum Domini-Pope Benedict XVI has been released! :)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bookcat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You beat me to it! 😉

I’ve been excited about this one since they first announced they were having a Synod on the Word of God. :o

I’m sure people like Scott Hahn are doing a little happy dance. 😛
 
You beat me to it! 😉

I’ve been excited about this one since they first announced they were having a Synod on the Word of God. :o

I’m sure people like Scott Hahn are doing a little happy dance. 😛
I know I am 🙂

Been waiting…

Like Christmas for a little kid…
 
And…boy doessss it look good!
Indeed! I just came across this paragraph:
  1. As the cross of Christ demonstrates, God also speaks by his silence. The silence of God, the experience of the distance of the almighty Father, is a decisive stage in the earthly journey of the Son of God, the incarnate Word. Hanging from the wood of the cross, he lamented the suffering caused by that silence: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mk 15:34; Mt 27:46). Advancing in obedience to his very last breath, in the obscurity of death, Jesus called upon the Father. He commended himself to him at the moment of passage, through death, to eternal life: “ Father, into your hands I commend my spirit ” (Lk 23:46).
This experience of Jesus reflects the situation of all those who, having heard and acknowledged God’s word, must also confront his silence. This has been the experience of countless saints and mystics, and even today is part of the journey of many believers. God’s silence prolongs his earlier words. In these moments of darkness, he speaks through the mystery of his silence. Hence, in the dynamic of Christian revelation, silence appears as an important expression of the word of God.

I think that’s the most beautiful explanation of “unanswered” prayers that I have ever read. “God’s silence prolongs his earlier words.” I’ll be meditating on that one for a long time.
 
I read over a portion of it this morning. No surprises there of course. It is really just a rehash of previous documents - at least the part I saw. The section about Islam and the Bible, for instance, states the Muslims’ devotion to the “one God” (or however it’s worded) pretty much as it is worder in Vatican II. You would think by now that the Vatican would have learned to point out the Muslim rejection of the Trinity in the same breath!
 
I read over a portion of it this morning. No surprises there of course. It is really just a rehash of previous documents - at least the part I saw. The section about Islam and the Bible, for instance, states the Muslims’ devotion to the “one God” (or however it’s worded) pretty much as it is worder in Vatican II. You would think by now that the Vatican would have learned to point out the Muslim rejection of the Trinity in the same breath!
In the form it is made available on the Vatican website, it is about a 200 page pdf… Could you not, vladimir998 my friend, have found ONE positive thing to point out in the entire document? 🙂
 
I read over a portion of it this morning. No surprises there of course. It is really just a rehash of previous documents - at least the part I saw. The section about Islam and the Bible, for instance, states the Muslims’ devotion to the “one God” (or however it’s worded) pretty much as it is worder in Vatican II. You would think by now that the Vatican would have learned to point out the Muslim rejection of the Trinity in the same breath!
You must have been reading a different document…

My heart was burning with love for Jesus of Nazareth the Son of God…the Logos!

So rich! I am trying to hold back…and not rush…

even though I will return again and again in the future

(and you are not understanding our “dialogue” with Muslims is not in any way exhausted in various documents…of course we do not agree with them on a whole range of things…but stating the obvious like that need not take place in a document like this…but really please do not “derail” the tread into another topic)
 
You must have been reading a different document…

My heart was burning with love for Jesus of Nazareth the Son of God…the Logos!

So rich! I am trying to hold back…and not rush…

even though I will return again and again in the future

(and you are not understanding our “dialogue” with Muslims is not in any way exhausted in various documents…of course we do not agree with them on a whole range of things…but stating the obvious like that need not take place in a document like this…but really please do not “derail” the tread into another topic)
Yes!!! It is rich and requires multiple visits.

I actually tried to rush and complete a quick first read; I have not been able to do that. I find myself rereading entire sections with a big smile.
 
I love Benedict as I have not loved any other Pope. To begin with, he is so amazing.

But, this synod itself was and is his special gift of his papacy. I couldn’t make sense of the preliminary documents for this synod or the stuff that came out immediately afterwards.

The real gem is this finished document.

If it IS just a rehash of previous documents, I would be surprised.

I’ve made it through the introduction, up to the beginning of Part One. And, “it” is in there, his desire that we should get closer and closer to God’s word. That’s never a waste of time or a rehash.

What would we be, if** that **statement wasn’t in there?
 
I can’t wait to dig into this. It looks like there is a lot there to digest and think about.

ChadS
 
It is really just a rehash of previous documents
That is really what an “Exhoration” is at it’s core. It’s a restatment of what the Church teaches, but it is being restated because the previous statements really are not being followed as well as they should be.

It doesn’t teach anything new, it is rather a call for a recommitment on our part to the teachings presented.
 
Nothing earth shaking, a lot of rehash, but well written.

It is very encouraging to note that the phrase

"…teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the sacred Scriptures."
**
is directly referenced in the section on inspiration and truth.

It was also good to see several pages devoted to emphasizing the importance and value of the historical-critical method and modern scripture scholarship in general.
 
I love Benedict as I have not loved any other Pope. To begin with, he is so amazing.
Yes though my wife and I are of the Pope John Paul II generation and love V. Pope John Paul II (heck she is from his city) …and have been formed by him …

Pope Benedict XVI is our Favorite Pope (after Peter…) …we love him and his words…and read him constantly …his words etc are forming us and urging us on … to follow *Jesus of Nazareth * …the Logos in joy

we are “Benedictines” in the non-order sense…(even named our in Son in part after him)…

I could say more…but that gives the idea…

this document is wonderful! I love it!

👍

Viva La Papa Benedict XVI!
 
In the form it is made available on the Vatican website, it is about a 200 page pdf… Could you not, vladimir998 my friend, have found ONE positive thing to point out in the entire document? 🙂
I’m sure I could, but I only read a portion as I said. Besides, since it is largely a rehash of previous documents, what is positive in it probably has already been said in several other places.
 
You must have been reading a different document…
Nope.
My heart was burning with love for Jesus of Nazareth the Son of God…the Logos!
I understand. And it’s still just largely a rehash. Whether or not you feel burning in the bosom (calling all Mormons!) has nothing to do with whether or not it’s largely a rehash.
(and you are not understanding our “dialogue” with Muslims is not in any way exhausted in various documents…of course we do not agree with them on a whole range of things…but stating the obvious like that need not take place in a document like this…but really please do not “derail” the tread into another topic)
I understand the dialogue with Muslims perfectly well. Perhaps you should read what I actually wrote rather than invent things I never said.
 
That is really what an “Exhoration” is at it’s core. It’s a restatment of what the Church teaches, but it is being restated because the previous statements really are not being followed as well as they should be.

It doesn’t teach anything new, it is rather a call for a recommitment on our part to the teachings presented.
I understand that that is what an exhortation is, yes.
 
Such a great document!

One more wonderful work from such a great Pope and disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!!

Whoooohooo!
 
And it’s still just largely a rehash. NOPE

Whether or not you feel burning in the bosom (calling all Mormons!) has nothing to do with whether or not it’s largely a rehash.

It was a reference to Scripture…(not Mormons…).

.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top