C
CutlerB
Guest
Dear friends,
I have just got back from an evening with fellow students of theology, who are in higher semesters than I am. Due to our nature, we talked theology, and came to fixate on the Last Things. Now, I am very confused. Here are some of the statements the other two made, which I found very odd.
I have just got back from an evening with fellow students of theology, who are in higher semesters than I am. Due to our nature, we talked theology, and came to fixate on the Last Things. Now, I am very confused. Here are some of the statements the other two made, which I found very odd.
*]Pre-Last Judgement “Hell” is not eternal and not decisive
*]Neither is Pre-Last-Judgement Heaven
*]Before the Last Judgement, we can pray souls out of “Hell”, and people can drop out of heaven and purgatory into “Hell”
*]We get a “second chance” at the Judgement Seat, even if we die in mortal sin, where we will encounter the love and mercy of God and are so overwhelmed that we cannot possibly refuse and go to Hell
*]Thus, we have hope and it is very likely that Hell is empty
They referenced von Balthasar and Rahner, and broadly “tradition”. To be honest, these things strike me as extremely foreign. Especially that people can drop out of Heaven or be prayed out of Hell. On that note, they said “But in the Fatima Prayer of the Rosary, we pray for those who most need His Mercy… who could need it more than the souls in hell?”
What is the teaching on hell on these points? Is there a difference between pre- and post-Last Judgement Eschatology?
Thanks.