Very..confused.

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmbertrand
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cmbertrand

Guest
So, this Lent has been a wonderful experiance for me. I learned so much about my faith and have come to know Jesus Christ better. Events happened that left me in utter despair, but I learned to unite myself to Jesus’ passion and death in those times.

But I just went to the chapel to pray before the Blessed Sacrement. I went in with great joy. When I started to pray, I felt very joyful. But, as I started to pray further, I got increasingly confused and lost that joy. It was particularly when I started to pray the rosary and then prayers from the pieta. Idk why this happened but I walked out of the chapel feeling spiritually drained. Like, I don’t have the desire to pray as I did before and I feel very vulnerable. I feel like I could call into sin very easily. I don’t know really how to explain the feeling but I’m afraid it will interfere with my relationship with God. Any answers?
 
Do not despair.

St. Ignatius calls it “spiritual desolation”. It’s a trick of those spirits that are against God. Being able to recognize it as a trick meant to keep you from Christ is the first step in persevering with Christ. Reject it and pray for grace from God to grant you spiritual consolation (the exact opposite–the joy you left) if it His will. God sometimes allows desolation to strengthen us in our faith.

Be well,
Teri

“God has assigned as a duty to every man the dignity of every woman.” Pope John Paul II
 
Thank you Tezza!
Can you tell me a little bit more about this “spiritual desolation”? How can I be sure that this is the case?
 
I am currently reading a book about the 14 Rules given by St. Ignatius on discerning what spirits (those that are for good and those that are for evil) are moving your actions, thoughts, and emotions. You can probably search Catholic Answers and find something online. Here are the third and fourth rule as published on a website I searched. It sounds like the two states you have described. I’ve also included the fifth rule about how to overcome such desolation:

Third Rule. The third: Of Spiritual Consolation. I call it consolation when some interior movement in the soul is caused, through which the soul comes to be inflamed with love of its Creator and Lord; and when it can in consequence love no created thing on the face of the earth in itself, but in the Creator of them all.

Likewise, when it sheds tears that move to love of its Lord, whether out of sorrow for one’s sins, or for the Passion of Christ our Lord, or because of other things directly connected with His service and praise.

Finally, I call consolation every increase of hope, faith and charity, and all interior joy which calls and attracts to heavenly things and to the salvation of one’s soul, quieting it and giving it peace in its Creator and Lord.

Fourth Rule. The fourth: Of Spiritual Desolation. I call desolation all the contrary of the third[36] rule, such as darkness[37] of soul, disturbance in it, movement to things low and earthly, the unquiet of different agitations and temptations, moving to want of confidence, without hope, without love, when one finds oneself all lazy, tepid, sad, and as if separated from his Creator and Lord. Because, as consolation is contrary to desolation, in the same way the thoughts which come from consolation are contrary to the thoughts which come from desolation.

Fifth Rule. The fifth: In time of desolation never to make a change; but to be firm and constant in the resolutions and determination in which one was the day preceding such desolation, or in the determination in which he was in the preceding consolation. Because, as in consolation it is rather the good spirit who guides and counsels us, so in desolation it is the bad, with whose counsels we cannot take a course to decide rightly.

Here is the website, though I can’t vouch for the orthodoxy of the site. I know these to be the actual rules, though.

cfpeople.org/Books/Exercise/EXERCISEp15.htm

May the Holy Spirit guide you on your journey.

Peace,
Teri

“God has assigned as a duty to every man the dignity of every woman.” Pope John Paul II
 
Can you tell me a little bit more about this “spiritual desolation”? How can I be sure that this is the case?
It’s not easy to be absolutely sure. But you can try to rule out other possible causes, such as fatigue, stress, unrepented sin, etc. If it persists you might want to talk it over with a knowledgeable priest or spiritual director.

Feelings come and go. They are not the measure of the “success” of our prayer. You can feel very “dry” or desolate and yet your prayer may be very pleasing to God. In fact, persistence in prayer when you are devoid of feelings is very pleasing to God; it proves that you are seeking Him, not the warm fuzzy feelings. (Are you seeking the consolations of God, or the God of consolations?)
 
It is not uncommon for anyone to experience a spiritual dryness or even burn-out.

A few years ago, I read a book that indicated that a person’s personality type reflected the type of prayer life they are most attuned to. For an example, the Ignatian prayers are not meant for everyone. Some people get nothing from praying the rosary.

I would suggest that you experiment with the different types of prayer and find something you are comfortable with.

God bless you my friend. You will be in my prayers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top