VERY URGENT! Need advise fast on Ectopic Pregnancies

• Thread starter Thread starter Convert_in_99
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Convert_in_99

Anybody here? :confused: I need some help and fast! Like today! :o

I am having lots of pain in the area that appears to be my ovaries/fallopian tubes (on the left side.) It’s been pretty persistant for a little over 24 hours. I am unable to stand upright only lay down and also sit for short periods of time.

I am going to have to get it checked out of course. I am pretty sure it’s my cysts acting up, as this has happened once in the past. However, I need to know something in case its an Ectopic (tubal) pregnancy (I wasn’t married the first time this happened…so anything’s possible now I guess…:o )

What are current church teachings regarding ectopic/tubal pregnancies?

I believe you are supposed to have the affected fallopian tube completely removed and the end tied up.

The baby unfortunately still goes to be with God 😦 😦 😦 , but this way it is not a direct attack of the baby’s life.

Is this right or am I way off?

Thanks for all your help! Prayers are also most welcome. 🙂

Anybody here? :confused: I need some help and fast! Like today! :o

I am having lots of pain in the area that appears to be my ovaries/fallopian tubes (on the left side.) It’s been pretty persistant for a little over 24 hours. I am unable to stand upright only lay down and also sit for short periods of time.

I am going to have to get it checked out of course. I am pretty sure it’s my cysts acting up, as this has happened once in the past. However, I need to know something in case its an Ectopic (tubal) pregnancy (I wasn’t married the first time this happened…so anything’s possible now I guess…:o )

What are current church teachings regarding ectopic/tubal pregnancies?

I believe you are supposed to have the affected fallopian tube completely removed and the end tied up.

The baby unfortunately still goes to be with God 😦 😦 😦 , but this way it is not a direct attack of the baby’s life.

Is this right or am I way off?

Thanks for all your help! Prayers are also most welcome. 🙂
Yes, that’s right. I pray that this is not the case, but there’s only one way to know for sure- get thee to a doctor immediately!

praying that you are fine and there’s not an ectopic pregnancy

Yes, ectopic pregnancies are the example most often used of the principle of double effect. The surgery is performed to save your life, and you are not held morally culpable for the unfortunate side effect.

I hope you don’t have to deal with this. Good luck 🙂

Thanks so much! Yeah, kinda fishy that I read all this stuff on ectopic pregnancies just a couple of months ago and had the “if I am unconcious due to pain” talk with my husband, and what he’s supposed to tell the docs.

Thanks for reassuring me that I have the right info. I pray that it’s “just a cyst.” Somehow a cyst, even a cancerous one seems easier to deal with than a baby dying. 😦

God bless you. I am seeing a doctor this afternoon/early eve. My husband’s taking off early to take me.

Convert- I just saw this message. I hope you are going ASAP to the doctor. It could be a whole range of things. I hope that all is well and that I will hear a good report from you soon! Many prayers heading your way.

Please read the following from Ask an Apologist:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=55211

Not all forms of “treatment” are allowed because some act directly to cause an abortion like a methotrexate treatment or others designed to end the pregnancy. The one main acceptable treatment is removement of the fallopian tube that is damaged with the sad effect of the death of the baby.

Sorry, didnt see the end of your post and got confused… looks like you know the moral teachings 😛 .

I have been through one, please get to a doctor. In simple terms, the moral option is for them to remove the portion of the tube that contains the pregnancy (or the damaged portion should there be a rupture). There are “medical alternatives” that are immoral - I’m sure the AAA thread linked above outlines those.

Many prayers for you. Mine ruptured, and it was a very scary thing.

There are two methods that doctors can use to deal with an ectopic pregnancy.

Removal of the tube is a moral option, because the intent is not to kill the child but treat the diseased fallopian tube.

The second method is a medical abortion-- the woman is given pills that kill the child and leave the fallopian tube intact. This is less invasive and the option most doctors want to use these days. It is not a moral option.

Prayers out to the OP. I hope this isn’t something too serious!

I was just wondering, for those who have had recent ectopic pregnancies if they had any trouble getting a dr. to do surgery or getting the insurance company to cover it since there is a “cheaper” option?

Hi! I’m a medical doctor (general practitioner).
If it is an ectopic pregnancy, the moral option is to remove the tube, not do a medical abortion (with methotrexate, etc.). It falls under the ethical principle of double effect: the tube is diseased and can lead to the woman’s death so the tube has to be removed with the undesired effect of removing the embryo in it.
In one medical ethics class (or was it during a discussion with other doctors?), I remember that if you’re Catholic, immediately after the removal of the diseased fallopian tube, you may want to request the doctor to open it up and have someone immediately do an emergency baptism on the embryo (which may still be alive after the fallopian tube’s removal from the body… that I’m not sure of, have never assisted in an ectopic pregnancy case before.) same as you would do with any baby in danger of death before she/he can be baptized by a priest. In this way, you send that soul straight to heaven. Even non-Catholics or non-Christians can do this as long as they are willing to do it intending to baptize the baby into the Catholic Church.
To do an emergency baptism, one needs only some water (not necessarily holy water, tap water or any sterilized or boiled water would do), pour or place a few drops on the baby’s forehead (or body if she/he happens to be extremely premature) and say the formula: " (Baby’s name), I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

I remember that if you’re Catholic, immediately after the removal of the diseased fallopian tube, you may want to request the doctor to open it up and have someone immediately do an emergency baptism on the embryo (which may still be alive after the fallopian tube’s removal from the body… that I’m not sure of, have never assisted in an ectopic pregnancy case before.) same as you would do with any baby in danger of death before she/he can be baptized by a priest. In this way, you send that soul straight to heaven. Even non-Catholics or non-Christians can do this as long as they are willing to do it intending to baptize the baby into the Catholic Church.
To do an emergency baptism, one needs only some water (not necessarily holy water, tap water or any sterilized or boiled water would do), pour or place a few drops on the baby’s forehead (or body if she/he happens to be extremely premature) and say the formula: " (Baby’s name), I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."
Wow, what a wonderful idea!

Convert in 99, how are you this morning? Still praying everything is well with you.

My grandmother had an ectopic pregnancy and almost died. This was in the early '20s. As a result my mother was an only child. Grandma always enjoyed having us kids around. She was good to all of us (6).

My wife suffered a couple of miscarriages and I know from liviing through that experience how hard it is on the mother. Be sure to get counseling if the pregnancy is terminated. It really is a help.

Matthew

When you spoke face to face or phoned your Priest or Bishop, what did they tell you?

When you spoke face to face or phoned your Priest or Bishop, what did they tell you?
To make certain I understand your question - are you asking if, when faced with an ectopic pregnancy, did any of us phone/speak face to face with our Priest or Bishop to get advice?

These are true medical emergencies. The great thing is we have access to the official teachings of the Church via many electronic ways at those times when we can’t get a Priest or Bishop on the phone. The teaching on this is very clear.

Convert - how are you??
Oh thank you so much for asking. That is very kind of you!

**Well, it is thankfully not ectopic pregnancy. 🙂 **

My diagnoses is ovarian cysts (on both sides) that have caused a severe pelvic infection (PID…Pelvic Inflamatory Disease)

**The medications aren’t working yet, so surgery to drain the cysts is looking pretty certain. **

I will keep you all updated. Thanks so much for the kind responses and prayers. Continued prayers (especially if surgery is needed) are most appreciated and welcome.

**God bless you all. Thanks again for your concern! 🙂 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back