VIDEO: Sola Scriptura

  • Thread starter Thread starter aphisherofmen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aphisherofmen

Guest
Hey guys, Long time, few posts.

I was in a discussion about authority and the canon of scripture with a protestant friend of mine, and I felt like we were going continually in circles. So I did what any reasonable person would do: I made a video out of it, but with the confounding resolution more strongly implied. I hope you enjoy it, and I’d love your thoughts on how it could be improved.

youtube.com/watch?v=fWyaFPGeusg
 
excellent brother in Christ! Nice video. I like the format of these videos… I especially like the animal characters in yours.

Pax Christi,

Phil
 
I thought that was pretty great actually. An effective way to argue any idea is to anticipate and answer the objections. The use of dialog is great because it can express the idea how people actually think it and not in a way that a theologian might. In other words it is more clear to the common man.

And as you might notice my Protestant identity I’ll clarify that I’ve come to realize the problems Sola Scripture has. Not in SS’s defense but out of charity I’ll point out that the common understanding is probably not the same as theologians. But it does seem to me that most Protestants hold the Bible up as something God gave us which is true but only because it came from the Church.
 
In the video there is mention of a verse from Deuteronomy that warns not to mess with scripture. I could not make out the reference from the video. Can anyone supply me with the reference?
 
Hey guys, Long time, few posts.

I was in a discussion about authority and the canon of scripture with a protestant friend of mine, and I felt like we were going continually in circles. So I did what any reasonable person would do: I made a video out of it, but with the confounding resolution more strongly implied. I hope you enjoy it, and I’d love your thoughts on how it could be improved.

youtube.com/watch?v=fWyaFPGeusg
nice video

if this was a real debate and it was in person, I suggest asking more questions then making points. While you may think you are doing a good thing by speaking the truth and just giving point after point after point to him. Sometimes its better if instead of saying where this logic is off but to get him to see where his logic is off.

there was some of that in there but also you at times just talked and talked.

I think its important to remember that when we discusses matters on faith with people, we must first of all be Christ like and treat people with love. You may have a strategy or a question that will almost always win you the debate, but it may not be the most loving thing to do.

Second we must remember that the goal isn’t to win the debate, because even if we win the debate but lose the soul what is the point? We must treat our fellow man in a way that he sees the light by his own doing not ours. Because if he sees the light of Truth by his own doing then it is a lot more likely that he will come into the light.

I’m sure your discussions are doing good, but I just think there can be more effective ways.

Not to critize you in all this, I just want to give you some advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top