A
AmericanFighter
Guest
Skip to third paragraph to get strait to the argument
I go on these sights that claim to be loving followers of God. I believe we are all one under Jesus Christ so some times I wind and talk to people of Christian sects we get along have intelligent conversations about faith and the bible and they will find me quite knowledgable then like clock work someone starts an anti catholic thread I read it and get disgusted these same people I had such intelligent talks with are saying this. After trying to calm them down I eventually come out with it and tell them I am catholic then it’s like their whole world got shaken up. I hate this animosity between Christians and quite frankly I really don’t understand how a follower of Christ could be this way.
The rosary is probably the biggest hot button topic they turn to when bashing Catholics. I shamefully admit one of them got in my head a year ago when I was going through some very hard time and spiritually curious and they were able to put doubt in my head. However ironically my doubt would be the very determination to scour the scripture and soul search and eventually dismantle their argument. Here is the argument I use that stops them in their tracks every time.
The rosary is not so much a prayer to Mary as it is an exercise for us. Just like we should exercise our bodies every day it is important to exercise our faith too. We follow and are reminded the key points Gospel while practicing the rosary.
We start with the apostles creed which summarizes our faith
we move on to the the glory be that reminds us of the trinity
Then our father that reminds us of the kingdom of God
State and meditate on the life of Christ through the mysteries
And pray the Hail Mary while we meditate
And repeat till we get through all the mysteries of that group for that day.
Then just at when we work out we have a leg day an arms day cardio day etc the next day we shift our focus to a new set of mysteries and work out a new part of our soul.
The rosary is an organized exercise regimen like one a personal trainer would give us.
It is easy for us to forget about God in the daily grind the rosary is our metaphorical morning cup of coffee that wakes up our soul and prepares for the day with our faith in mind.
A few of their recycled arguments are; playing with beads and thinking they have holy power is blasphemy, the rosary is empty Mantra, and the 15 promises are blasphemes.
My responses are
The rosary is nothing but; 1 a visual reminder of god and 2 just a tool our spirit runs around the rosary the same way a marathon runner runs on a treadmill. We use it to keep track of where we are in our prayer exercise and can focus 100% on prayer.
This is not the empty mantra the speak of in the bible it is focused prayer on God the gospel and the life of Jesus Christ.
The 15 promises are self fulfilling because our soul becomes stronger as we exercise it. They are self fulfilling in the same way the rule if you work out everyday and eat right you wil be healthier is self fulfilling. A good diet and exercise is armor against obesity and sickness the same way the rosary is armor against the devil.
I will say just as you can injure yourself if you work out wrong the rosary will not help or won’t help as much and can hurt your spirit if you use it wrong. Many people will pray it just going through the motions and speak words that are relatively empty and some still that weather consciously or subconsciously think there is holy power in it because they pray and good things happen but the reality is good things are happening to you because you are exercising your soul and pleasing God. This is why I am against group prayer of the rosary you feel inclined to keep up with the group and don’t get your full meditation done and those going full speed probably aren’t taking the needed time to contemplate the mysteries anyway. I know I am alway a decade or two behind anyone I pray the rosary with
Any way that seems to shut more people up than anything what are your opinions?
I go on these sights that claim to be loving followers of God. I believe we are all one under Jesus Christ so some times I wind and talk to people of Christian sects we get along have intelligent conversations about faith and the bible and they will find me quite knowledgable then like clock work someone starts an anti catholic thread I read it and get disgusted these same people I had such intelligent talks with are saying this. After trying to calm them down I eventually come out with it and tell them I am catholic then it’s like their whole world got shaken up. I hate this animosity between Christians and quite frankly I really don’t understand how a follower of Christ could be this way.
The rosary is probably the biggest hot button topic they turn to when bashing Catholics. I shamefully admit one of them got in my head a year ago when I was going through some very hard time and spiritually curious and they were able to put doubt in my head. However ironically my doubt would be the very determination to scour the scripture and soul search and eventually dismantle their argument. Here is the argument I use that stops them in their tracks every time.
The rosary is not so much a prayer to Mary as it is an exercise for us. Just like we should exercise our bodies every day it is important to exercise our faith too. We follow and are reminded the key points Gospel while practicing the rosary.
We start with the apostles creed which summarizes our faith
we move on to the the glory be that reminds us of the trinity
Then our father that reminds us of the kingdom of God
State and meditate on the life of Christ through the mysteries
And pray the Hail Mary while we meditate
And repeat till we get through all the mysteries of that group for that day.
Then just at when we work out we have a leg day an arms day cardio day etc the next day we shift our focus to a new set of mysteries and work out a new part of our soul.
The rosary is an organized exercise regimen like one a personal trainer would give us.
It is easy for us to forget about God in the daily grind the rosary is our metaphorical morning cup of coffee that wakes up our soul and prepares for the day with our faith in mind.
A few of their recycled arguments are; playing with beads and thinking they have holy power is blasphemy, the rosary is empty Mantra, and the 15 promises are blasphemes.
My responses are
The rosary is nothing but; 1 a visual reminder of god and 2 just a tool our spirit runs around the rosary the same way a marathon runner runs on a treadmill. We use it to keep track of where we are in our prayer exercise and can focus 100% on prayer.
This is not the empty mantra the speak of in the bible it is focused prayer on God the gospel and the life of Jesus Christ.
The 15 promises are self fulfilling because our soul becomes stronger as we exercise it. They are self fulfilling in the same way the rule if you work out everyday and eat right you wil be healthier is self fulfilling. A good diet and exercise is armor against obesity and sickness the same way the rosary is armor against the devil.
I will say just as you can injure yourself if you work out wrong the rosary will not help or won’t help as much and can hurt your spirit if you use it wrong. Many people will pray it just going through the motions and speak words that are relatively empty and some still that weather consciously or subconsciously think there is holy power in it because they pray and good things happen but the reality is good things are happening to you because you are exercising your soul and pleasing God. This is why I am against group prayer of the rosary you feel inclined to keep up with the group and don’t get your full meditation done and those going full speed probably aren’t taking the needed time to contemplate the mysteries anyway. I know I am alway a decade or two behind anyone I pray the rosary with
Any way that seems to shut more people up than anything what are your opinions?