Visiting perpetual Adoration

  • Thread starter Thread starter fieldsparrow
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fieldsparrow

Guest
I have found that there is a perpetual adoration in town, and I am interested in going. I am not sure on a few points though:
  • Is it OK to just drop in? Or is this something I should call and ask? They do have a schedule but the web page also says it is “open to the public” during their open hours.
  • Is going to Adoration allowed if you have not yet received Reconciliation, Confirmation and the Eucharist? I am still in RCIA, but I would like to go.
 
Oh a hardy YES, go and be in the presence of our Lord. He is calling you. We have perpetual lenten Adoration. Each hour has a specific adorer signed up so that our Lord is never left alone in the Adoration chapel. I have two different hours during the week, one in the afternoon and one in the middle of the night, other adorers always show up during those hours. Bless yourself as you enter, kneel before our Lord and then find a place to either kneel or sit. If you only have fifteen minutes, that’s OK the other adorer of that hour will remain for the whole hour. My favorite two hours of the week!! May God bless you on your journey home.
 
Can I ask how you pray in adoration? I have done it a few times but I never quite know if I’m doing it “right.” Do you pray more or just stay quiet and wait for Jesus to speak to you?

The rosary? Or is that disrespectful when we’re in front of Jesus?
 
Adoration is a profoundly personal experience so there is no “correct” way to pray, beyond of course keeping reverent before the lord and quiet (common decency to others).
Generally what I would recommend in praying during adoration is firstly giving a mental act of contrition. Reflecting in an attitude of repentance on ones own detestfully sinful nature before the perfection of God and on his great and unfathomable mercy in his sacrifice for us. Following this I would reflect on the mystery and glory of the gift of the eucharist and on the real presence of Christ before you, on the incomprehensible majesty of God with us, to orientate yourself into a proper attitude before the lord.

Following this the prayers would be your choice, but personally I would pray the sanctus repeatedly as a very appropriate prayer before God interspersing this timeless prayer with reflection in an open mind to listen to God’s voice in mental stillness. (simply constant reptition could lead to a lack of meaning and you lose the important aspect of reflection and contemplation) You could also engage in a “mental dialogue” in these interspersions reflecting on God in your life and engaging in a conversation, Often reflecting on oneself and on God leads to an awareness of things that we miss in everyday life. (many saints have had profound revelations in eucharistic adoration)
As to the rosary, I personally would not pray the rosary since I see adoration as focussed solely on Christ and on contemplation. To me personally although the rosary is good, it is still missing the point in my opinion of adoration. However saying that, it is my personal opinion and the rosary is definitely permitted and perfectly fine should you wish to do so, it is simply not for me the best way to spend adoration.
 
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Jesus is always happy to see you. For a short visit or a longer talk.

I usually kneel and offer some silent prayers. If I’m staying for a little while, I will usually sit back after that and just “be”. Often I take my journal and write. Amazing how God speaks when I do that.

The Rosary is perfectly OK. Jesus would never be upset with you for talking to his Mom. The Rosary is about his life, for the most part, anyway.

Do go. One thing that some people do not know, is that is is customary (?) to genuflect on both knees (kneel) when coming and going when the Lord is exposed in the monstrance.

Other than that, just bask in the presence of the Lord. Tell Him what is in your heart and LISTEN.
 
Sparrow,
It’s awesome that you feel compelled to go visit our Lord. GO! It’s awesome 🙂
So wonderful during the winter months seeing snow fall late in the evening with the candles burning. I sit there and I feel stress leave my body. Being in his presence just gives me peace.
Enjoy, it will be some of the best spent time you ever invest.
Sit and just think of Christ and what he did for all of us. Clear your mind and he will speak to your heart.
God bless,
 
Adoration is a wonderful experience and can be very powerful.

I usually start by just talking to God. Asking him to take away all my anxieties so that I can be open to hearing his voice in my life. Then I pray a rosary…as I go Monthly, I rotate Mysteries, unless it is during a holy season that a particular Mystery relates to…such as Advent(joyous mysteries) or Lent(Sorrowful mysteries),

Then I sit and I read the posted readings for that day.

When I am finished, I simply sit in peace with my eyes closed and enjoy being in the presence of the Lord
 
Oh…duh…and to answer your question

You are free to drop in anytime. If it is a 24hour chapel, then during the overnight hours you probably need an appointment as for security reasons the doors may be locked. My Parish has a Adoration on the 1st Saturday of the month, and there is a sign up sheet in the back of church.
 
While my scheduled Adoration hour is primarily for contemplation, I do also feel free to come and bring an appropriate book or my journal. I figure if I’m going to be working on it anyway, I might as well do it with Jesus!

There aren’t really any rules except to avoid being a distraction to others. A woman once came during my scheduled hour and ate some kind of crunchy snack. It was annoying, but it gave me a fit of the giggles, because it would never occur to me to bring food into Church for anyone over the age of two, and here she was chomping away.
 
I have found that there is a perpetual adoration in town, and I am interested in going. I am not sure on a few points though:
  • Is it OK to just drop in? Or is this something I should call and ask? They do have a schedule but the web page also says it is “open to the public” during their open hours.
  • Is going to Adoration allowed if you have not yet received Reconciliation, Confirmation and the Eucharist? I am still in RCIA, but I would like to go.
yes, it is open to the public, that is why it is called “perpetual adoration”
sign in every time you visit so they know how many people are using the chapel during the posted hours
you do not have to be “scheduled” for a particular hour, nor do you have to arrive on the hour and leave on the hour if it is not your scheduled slot.
People sign up for a regular time to insure the chapel is never left empty and the Blessed Sacrament unattended, they do not “own” that hour.
yes anyone who believes Christ is present in the Blessed Sacrament can come and adore.
Anyone who is not yet sure of their belief is still welcome to come and pray any time the chapel is open, respecting of course the belief of others, keeping silence etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top