G
gtwolcott
Guest
OK, so today our normal priest was out of town and instead a retired priest living in the area came into say mass. The first thing that threw me off was when he added in little “introductions” to the parts of the mass. Like "Now let us all sit and begin our Bible readings. These intros seem licit to me and this is not what I am suspicious about on his part.
What got me was when we started the Eucharistic Prayer. The priest started changing around some of the words and adding in parts here and there. Nothing major but still changes of language I am a little skeptical of. Next he started the Narrative of institution, which if I am correct is the essential part of the Mass where the words of Consecration are contained. Moving into here, he made noticeable changes to this part. This like "following the ancient traditions of his tribal people Jesus in the celebration of the Passover, Jesus took bread and said take this all of you and eat it this is my Body which will be given up for you. Luckily, the actual words of consecration were correct but leading up to it was a little weird. Communion went on as normal, but after the procession, he had the extraordinary ministers purge their chalices. I KNOW this is not permissible. If I am correct there was an indult allowing this in the US but it was not renewed and is thus invalid at the moment. I never got to speak with priest since I had to help my grandmother get out of church, but still this all shocked me a bit.
Thoughts?
What got me was when we started the Eucharistic Prayer. The priest started changing around some of the words and adding in parts here and there. Nothing major but still changes of language I am a little skeptical of. Next he started the Narrative of institution, which if I am correct is the essential part of the Mass where the words of Consecration are contained. Moving into here, he made noticeable changes to this part. This like "following the ancient traditions of his tribal people Jesus in the celebration of the Passover, Jesus took bread and said take this all of you and eat it this is my Body which will be given up for you. Luckily, the actual words of consecration were correct but leading up to it was a little weird. Communion went on as normal, but after the procession, he had the extraordinary ministers purge their chalices. I KNOW this is not permissible. If I am correct there was an indult allowing this in the US but it was not renewed and is thus invalid at the moment. I never got to speak with priest since I had to help my grandmother get out of church, but still this all shocked me a bit.
Thoughts?