Voting for a pro-abortion candidate a mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter USTNoah
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

USTNoah

I have a question for an apologist. According to Fr. Stephen Toroacco, in his “A Brief Catechism for Catholic Voters” (Copyright 2003 by Leaflet Missal Company): "To vote for such a candidate simply with the knowledge that the candidate is pro-abortion is to become an accomplice in the moral evil of abortion.

If the voter knowingly and freely assents to his or her status as such an accomplice, then the voter sins mortally." My question is, is it a mortal sin to vote for such a candidate? My main question is, is on an accomplice in a moral evil merely by voting for a certain person? If so, what documents (i.e. CCC, encyclicals, apostolic letters) support this premise?

I most certainly agree that abortion is a moral evil, and to be an accomplice in such is a mortal evil - but to vote for someone does not seem to be on the same moral level.

Please explain!

Thanks,
USTNoah

The Church has clearly taught that there are some issues where a Catholic voter can take one side or another, but abortion is not one of them. If there is a candidate that supports the Church’s moral teaching in this area more than another, we have an obligation to vote accordingly. There are a few other issues like this that the document referenced below lists (as does our Voter’s Guide).

In order for a sin to be mortal, it must involve grave matter, and be committed with full knowledge and full consent. Each person must apply this standard for themselves in determining if they have committed a mortal sin. It is grave matter to vote for a candidate that advances an agenda that is contrary to the Church’s moral teaching in a non-negotiable area, when there is another option. To do so knowing the gravity of the matter and freely would cause one to sin mortally.

There is more to say on this topic, and since this is an attempt to answer a very serious question in a very short forum, I urge you to please read the *Doctrinal Note *on some questions regarding The Participation of Catholics in Political Life from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, particularly paragraph 4. But the entire document should be read as it is instructional for all Catholics.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20021124_politica_en.html

“In this context, it must be noted also that a well-formed Christian conscience does not permit one to vote for a political program or an individual law which contradicts the fundamental contents of faith and morals.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back