Walking with God

  • Thread starter Thread starter ontheway1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ontheway1

Guest
Having just heard the expression on the radio, I do not have a clear idea of how I would go about “walking with God”. Is there a practice or method involved here? How do you do it? Are there steps to take? Any (name removed by moderator)ut on this would be great.
 
Praying a Morning Offering prayer every morning consecrates ourselves to Jesus and offers God everything to come in the day. It’s to be prayed first thing in the morning when we wake up and starts us off the day connected to God. This is a way to offer up all the joys, trials, and pains to God for His glory this day. The most common prayer for this is the following, but there are other versions you can chose from to your liking:

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, the reparation for sin, and the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and of all Apostles of Prayer, and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.

God bless!
 
I would say it starts at Baptism where I am called by God and gifted faith in his son Jesus Christ. It continues as the Holy Spirit who is gifted to me in baptism reproofs, corrects, exhorts, and sustains faith in me through the proclamation of his Word and the administration of the sacraments. It continues to be nurtured through prayer and fellowship in the body of Christ.
 
You walk with God when you let God in your life, your heart, and go through life with Him. With trust and confidence in God as your Father. When you put “your arm in His arm” and walk on way of your life.
It is a metaphore to describe life with God.
 
Last edited:
I’m sure everyone will have their own way of looking at this so I’ll toss mine in as well. For me it’s like talking with God all day. The conversation begins in the morning and just carries on. Working, cycling, walking, reading, over the years I have become very attuned to the idea that every thought and action is done with God figuratively by my side or watching. I picture it this way because my human mind is more accepting of that image as opposed to an equally valid one of being immersed in God. Silently I speak about everything with him, from finding my missing keys to helping me relax when irritated or angry. I could probably best describe it as an accute day-long awareness but this doesn’t really do it justice.
 
Last edited:
Fasting is something that has helped me tremendously. What I do is go about my daily life without eating or drinking from sunrise until sunset. The hunger pangs will come and go throughout the day and whenever I feel them, it is a reminder that I’m doing this for God. I’m not doing it so that I can brag about it – I’m doing it to please God. It’s a mode of living in which you are constantly worshiping God.

There are wrong ways to fast, though. Doing it for the sake of getting praise from men is not a valid reason. If you do it for the right reason, Jesus said that the Father will reward you (see Matthew 6:16-18). I need all the rewards I can get, so I try to fast once in a while.

Also, be sure to pray when you’re fasting. Fasting and prayer go together like peanut butter and jelly. Give it a shot. 😀
 
Fasting is something that has helped me tremendously. What I do is go about my daily life without eating or drinking from sunrise until sunset.
This is what the Muslims do during Ramadan. Do you fast 365 days a year or just now?
 
40.png
drac16:
Fasting is something that has helped me tremendously. What I do is go about my daily life without eating or drinking from sunrise until sunset.
This is what the Muslims do during Ramadan. Do you fast 365 days a year or just now?
I try to do it whenever the Holy Spirit puts it on my heart, which is typically a few times a month.
 
Read the Catechism, join a Catholic Bible Study to dive deep in to the scriptures, Love God with all your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself.
 
Read the Catechism, join a Catholic Bible Study to dive deep in to the scriptures, Love God with all your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself.
All these things are great ideas. I have tried all at some point or other. Lately it is something of a struggle. Maybe I am just getting lazy.
 
It happens, we have our ups and downs in life. I have been leading Catholic Bible Studies ever since I became Catholic 12 years ago, and I have had many moments where I felt like I wanted a break. But then next Sunday arrives (or even Saturday, Tuesday or Thursday) and after getting myself there I feel my soul come to life! During the study I feel like I wish it would never end! Even the inmates I have ministered to at a nearby prison allowed me to continue my study for 3 hours one day (during a recount) and I told them we could stop and take a break for a moment if they wanted, but they said “No, this is great, keep on going until you have to leave, don’t stop!”

It’s funny how we can all the sudden get lazy, but once we get a taste of God’s Word again (in the scripture and through the Eucharist too) it sets us on fire…

The Bible Study I am writing for the Gospel of Mark (it’s the same one I lead in a Prison and at my Parish) is a great start to rekindling that fire and you are welcome to dowload it and use it if you like (or you can just read it online on my website). Below is the link to it (I am still writing it and I am currenlty on Day 34 (that’s lesson 34). Use it with some of your fellow brothers and sisters, or if you want, you can join my Parish study (just PM me and I will send you the link to either our Thursday morning or Sunday morning study).

Either way, I hope you find something that hooks you and drives you further and further to Christ.

God Bless

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top