Want to become Catholic, but I have tattoos

  • Thread starter Thread starter DoxieMama
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DoxieMama

Guest
I am going to start the RCIA classes next months in order to become Catholic. I have some tattoos which are of sentimental value, including a Cross & my childrens’ names. My tattoos are hidden in places people can’t see, such as my shoulder & my back, neither of which I show off.

Are having tattoos considered a mortal sin? If so, after going to Confession, would I still be considered “living in sin” if I don’t remove the tattoos?
 
Your tattoos are no barrier to becoming Catholic. And no there is no mortal sin in having those tattoos. You already have them. To commit a mortal sin one must knowingly and willingly consent to grave matter. Your tattoos of the Cross and your children’s names are signs of love for you and were done before you saw them as anything other than innocent. Some reflections regarding tattoos:
christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/tattoochristian.htm
 
Goodness, no, the tatoos have nothing to do with your becoming Catholic. Welcome!
 
Tattoos are forbidden to Jews, as they are strictly against the laws of Moses, probably because of their association with non-monotheistic religions & cults. I did once meet a priest with them. Turns out he’s been in the R.A.F., and they were all associated with his period of service.

Just curious - where did you get the idea they weren’t allowed?

BTW, Hokomai, I enjoyed the link. Thanks:)
 
I am going to start the RCIA classes next months in order to become Catholic. I have some tattoos which are of sentimental value, including a Cross & my childrens’ names. My tattoos are hidden in places people can’t see, such as my shoulder & my back, neither of which I show off.

Are having tattoos considered a mortal sin? If so, after going to Confession, would I still be considered “living in sin” if I don’t remove the tattoos?
Welcome! 🙂

They’re not a barrier at all. I have 23 from my crazy pre-conversion days and while I’d rather not have them now they haven’t been a problem in the least (and at least two of mine are visible).
 
I do have an examination of conscience that says EXCESSIVE tattoos may be a mortal sin (provided there is full knowledge and full consent of the will). I would think this would be someone who, knowing this, would go out and get covered in tattoos from head to toe, some of which might be offensive pictures or sayings. Some people also get tattoos in certain places on the body and then they are tempted to wear skimpy clothing to show them off (which is another sin in and of itself.) But a cross and your children’s names discreetly hidden–that in no way is a mortal sin or a deterrent to you joining the Catholic Church! Now I wouldn’t go out and get a bunch more…but you’re fine.
 
I always wondered about tattoos too. I got one prior to coming back to the church. It says “Luctor et emergo” which means I struggle and emerge in Latin. For a while now I have been wanting to get it changed into a dove.
In the next 2 weeks I will be working as a catechist assistant and Im afraid that the children’s parents will judge me…
The tattoo is on the top of my left foot. I know I could wear closed shoes to cover it up but at the same time I feel like I should not be ashamed nor should they judge me. Heck, they might not even judge me but there are some who are really conservative…
 
Ohhhhh boy.

OP,

Lesson #1 on joining our faith:

We are Catholics… not fundamentalist puritanical protestants. 👍

Welcome!
 
Thanks everyone for your replies! I was under the impression that they weren’t allowed because of the Leviticus verse, but I do understand that’s in the OT.
 
From what you’ve said, there’s no problem.

Now, if you had “666” tattooed on your forehead, it might cause some talk during RCIA…
😃
 
Good question. Thanks for the thread.

I have several. I was a tattoo artist (briefly) and did lots of flash (tattoo design art).

I’m starting RCA (finally!) Sunday. 🙂

Are you “DoxieMama” because you have Dachshunds, by the way? I love Dachshunds and used to have one. ❤️
 
Good question. Thanks for the thread.

I have several. I was a tattoo artist (briefly) and did lots of flash (tattoo design art).

I’m starting RCA (finally!) Sunday. 🙂

Are you “DoxieMama” because you have Dachshunds, by the way? I love Dachshunds and used to have one. ❤️
SurlyMermaid, congrats on RCA! Yes, I love Daschunds. I have an 8 year old female 🙂
 
I am going to start the RCIA classes next months in order to become Catholic. I have some tattoos which are of sentimental value, including a Cross & my childrens’ names. My tattoos are hidden in places people can’t see, such as my shoulder & my back, neither of which I show off.

Are having tattoos considered a mortal sin? If so, after going to Confession, would I still be considered “living in sin” if I don’t remove the tattoos?
Today we buried a beloved member of our community, Father Dawes. He had full sleeves on both arms so if a priest can have tattoos so can you, don’t dwell on it. If you still feel troubled talk with your parish priest.
 
I am going to start the RCIA classes next months in order to become Catholic. I have some tattoos which are of sentimental value, including a Cross & my childrens’ names. My tattoos are hidden in places people can’t see, such as my shoulder & my back, neither of which I show off.

Are having tattoos considered a mortal sin? If so, after going to Confession, would I still be considered “living in sin” if I don’t remove the tattoos?
Tattoos are not sinful in themselves. But it’s always been a strong recommendation to think before you get one. They’re almost permanent and are difficult to remove at times. Rest assured that you’re good with the tattoos 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top