R
Rumil
Guest
On Monday, Dec. 23, in the first hour of Catholic Answers Live, A worried mother called about her children losing their faith. She said that her son referred to himself as a “warlock.” I was a Wiccan before becoming Christian, so this term is a red flag for me. It is widely believed that a warlock is a male witch. This is erroneous. When I was I was initiated as Wiccan clergy I became a witch. A male witch is a witch. So why would her son call himself a warlock? He may be mentally ill; in my experience most people that use this term have psychological issues. For example, he may have the delusion that he can do magic, and have picked up this term from television to explain it. She should get him to a psychologist as soon as possible. The other possibility is that he is misinformed. He could have unreliable sources on the occult. No legitimate witch or occultist would use that term. If the son is really interested in witchcraft or Wicca, his mother could recommend the books of Starhawk, which are good introductions to Goddess religion. Please don’t be offended that I am drawing some distinctions about the occult. Christians don’t need to go wonky or throw their mind in the trash because someone mentions the Craft. It is reasonable to make factual and moral judgements even about things we disagee with.–Rumil