Was I right or wrong?

• Thread starter Thread starter seeker63
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seeker63

I’ve not had a permanent job since being laid off three years ago. I don’t have a family to support—it’s just me and my dog. Unfortunately, I’ve had to borrow money from my mom to get by, and she’s running low.

Most of the jobs I’ve been applying for are ones I really don’t want, that have little to do with my skills, and that wouldn’t really get me anywhere.Everyone tells me I’m overqualified. But I feel obligated to apply nonetheless.

This week I was called in to interview for a temporary job I really didn’t want. Before the interview even started the manager rattled off a list of non-negotiable working conditions. I would basically be expected to be on 24-hour call and be prepared to work 7 days a week often and weekends almost always. I would be expected to often work late and work overtime frequently. (This would be a problem because I have no car and after a certain hour the busses stop running. Also, I think it’d be inhumane to leave my dog at home for too long without walks and so forth.)

There were various other conditions. I explained I needed Wednesday nights off from now through December and every Sunday off all day. (For RCIA and Mass, respectively.) The manager said that wouldn’t work, that I had to be available then. I said then in that case there wasn’t much point in proceeding with the interview.

It’s only been in the last few months that I’ve experienced a spiritual renewal and started going back to Church and decided to finally join the Catholic Church. I didn’t want to lose my momentum. I didn’t want to give up Mass and RCIA. I didn’t want to commit the mortal sin of skipping Mass just to do a stupid temp job I didn’t really want in the first place.

I think my mom was a bit taken aback when I told her. I said in my heart I knew I was doing God’s will and that I was sure He’d bail me out soon. Right after I talked to her I found out I didn’t get a job that actually would’ve used my skills and advanced me in my career.

I think I was right, but what do you think? Was I being thoughtless of my mom for not taking this job so she wouldn’t have to support me?

40.png
seeker63:
I’ve not had a permanent job since being laid off three years ago. I don’t have a family to support—it’s just me and my dog. Unfortunately, I’ve had to borrow money from my mom to get by, and she’s running low.

Most of the jobs I’ve been applying for are ones I really don’t want, that have little to do with my skills, and that wouldn’t really get me anywhere.Everyone tells me I’m overqualified. But I feel obligated to apply nonetheless.

This week I was called in to interview for a temporary job I really didn’t want. Before the interview even started the manager rattled off a list of non-negotiable working conditions. I would basically be expected to be on 24-hour call and be prepared to work 7 days a week often and weekends almost always. I would be expected to often work late and work overtime frequently. (This would be a problem because I have no car and after a certain hour the busses stop running. Also, I think it’d be inhumane to leave my dog at home for too long without walks and so forth.)

There were various other conditions. I explained I needed Wednesday nights off from now through December and every Sunday off all day. (For RCIA and Mass, respectively.) The manager said that wouldn’t work, that I had to be available then. I said then in that case there wasn’t much point in proceeding with the interview.

It’s only been in the last few months that I’ve experienced a spiritual renewal and started going back to Church and decided to finally join the Catholic Church. I didn’t want to lose my momentum. I didn’t want to give up Mass and RCIA. I didn’t want to commit the mortal sin of skipping Mass just to do a stupid temp job I didn’t really want in the first place.

I think my mom was a bit taken aback when I told her. I said in my heart I knew I was doing God’s will and that I was sure He’d bail me out soon. Right after I talked to her I found out I didn’t get a job that actually would’ve used my skills and advanced me in my career.

I think I was right, but what do you think? Was I being thoughtless of my mom for not taking this job so she wouldn’t have to support me?
Well I have a few sons that I have had to support so as a mother that has dealt with this I will give you my opinion.
Your RCIA and the Mass are your priorities that is good and I am glad to hear that. Is it possible to get a part time job? Gas stations party stores etc are always hiring. Is it possible to move back home where it may not be as financially draining on your mom? Did you ask at the church if they were hiring? As long as my sons tried to work and were actively participating in the church, and doing what they could to improve themselves, school, church etc. As a mother it was not as difficult to deal with. But do find something because I am sure your mother can not always support you and it is important that you put forth the effort to find some kind of employment. God bless and I will pray for you at Mass today.

I can not answer your question “was I right or wrong?” I can, however, give you an idea what employers looks for when they are hiring. I have been hiring and unfortunately firing people for the last 20 years.
The first thing I look for is “attitude”. If two people applied for a job and one did not have the skills but was willing to learn and the other had more skills but seemed bored with life I would hire the one without the skills. It’s amazing how my unskilled applicants with good attitudes turned out to be great workers.
I have hired many people who have been willing to take a “lesser” position when the desired position was not available and then promoted them to the desired position after a three month probationary period. Again, it shows they have the right attitude if they are willing to start at the bottom.
I do not recommend applying for a certain job if you know before hand that the hours would not be suitable. The employer usually is not willing to give the new employee the choice hours when he has not proven himself a loyal willing employee. It would not be fair to the other loyal workers.
Have you considered working at a hospital during this period? Hospitals hire hundreds of employees. If you tell them you want to work “per diem” they will try to accomodate your requests for certain days. They hire people of all types of skills for all shifts. You would be performing a corporal work of mercy. You would also learn alot about life and death and still be able to earn money while you are learning about Catholicism.
Again, let me repeat…a good “attitude” is your most important job skill.
God love you…and good luck!

40.png
seeker63:

Dear seeker63,

Like you, I have not had a permanent job since being laid off three years ago. Unlike you, I do have a large family to support; like you, I have had to borrow money fom my mom to get by, and she’s running low. Possibly like you, my wonderful mother goes to church every week and raised me to do the same, but in general doesn’t place as much importance on my faith and beliefs as I do in terms of making decisions like this.

Assessing “right” or “wrong” and “thoughtless” are pretty judgmental so I’ll just kick some ideas around.

One thing I didn’t quite understand from your post was whether the temp job you didn’t want and the job that used your skills were the same job? If not, did your refusal of the one job somehow prevent you from being offered the other one?

Anyway, if your mother is like mine, it would have been wise to have reasons in addition to interfering with changing churches, when you told her why you turned down the job. It isn’t so much you are wrong about your priorities, but if she is helping to support you then you also need to give a very high priority to reducing or eliminating the amount you’re getting from her. Unless I misunderstood, the conditions were very unreasonable regardless of your faith journey, which may have been reason enough not to take the job. (Personally, I have been recovering from a mental disability and probably would not have been ready to jump into something that intense.) If you presented it as if they were asking what you could not provide, that’s one thing. If you present it as if your faith journey is more important than slowing the rate you are draining her of money, then she could have reason to resent the Church and its effect on you – especially if she isn’t Catholic.

It’s too bad that your potential employer could not have made accomodations, but when you insisted on “all day” Sunday, was that because of a hard schedule conflict with Mass or RCIA, or because you felt you had to keep the sabbath holy? Since it was a temporary job, I don’t know that the latter would have been cause to turn it down because, after all, Jesus broke the letter of the law on the sabbath from time to time to do good, such as feeding his people and healing. See Mark 3:4 or Luke 6:9 where Jesus asked “Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?” If you extend this reasoning, making money on the sabbath could be construed as saving your mother’s life savings. It isn’t about your lust for money, it is about taking money away from your mother – especially if she is a widow.

I wish you good luck in your endeavor, and welcome into the Church.

Oh, yeah. Are you good with numbers? In our area H&R Block is starting classes next week for tax preparers for the 2004 tax year. If you do well in the course and test, you automatically get a part time job offer as a tax preparer. I took the course and worked for the 2002 tax year; I skipped last year but am going to do it again this year. I learned a few things that resulted in my being able to save my mother several thousand on her taxes, and it was not through “tricks” but through an understanding of the proper way to file and claim exemptions. You might call them; you may not get enough hours to make a lot of money, but they will accomodate your schedule.

Alan

Dear Friend

It is legitimate to miss Holy Mass if you have to work, food has to be put on the table, you can also attend a Saturday evening Mass which is counted as a Sunday Mass. Having said that this employer sounded inflexible. I don’t know whereabouts you are from, but it is illegal in the UK to enforce a person to work seven days a week without a break of one day off, it is also illegal to discriminate against an employee for their religious committments and/or beliefs.(They get around this in the UK by getting people to sign contracts of employment that clearly state you are willing to work Sundays, you don’t sign you don’t get the job…!! Once you are employed and they didn’t include that clause in the contract or omitted to explain that to you then people are able to sue if they are made to work sundays)

I think you knew you didn’t want that job, no-one is saying you have to take any job, if you know the result will be miserable for you. You have had some good advice already, so I’ll add that work is prayer too, we are as Catholics called to a work and benefit ourselves, to avoid the sin of sloth etc. I’d take a part-time or temporary job doing just about anything which not only will boost yourself, but will show your Mum you are serious about finding work, you know what Mum’s are like, they worry! Plus you can take good care of your dog this way, use some of the money to learn to drive and get a cheap car, which will widen your options of employment from just your local area. When you get a full-time job, ask Mum if she will mind your dog for you, I would help in that but I’m in the UK ( I love dogs!🙂 )

Do your RCIA classes take place on Sundays? They don’t tend to here because Sundays are a busy enough day for the Priests and are usually held in the evening on a week day when people can make it even if they have work committments. You could also explain to your Priest and ask if he is able to instruct you individually due to you having to find work if your employment clashes with when RCIA is held. I’m sure he’ll try and accomodate you.

You put God first which is wonderful:) , now you can love your Mum and yourself by finding some enjoyable employment where you’ll meet lots of people with plenty of opportunity to discuss your faith. Congratulations on your RCIA xx

God Bless you and much love and peace to you xx

Also have you thought of doing some voluntary work meantime until you get employment, I did this when I was struggling to find work once and the organisation ended up employing me, it can be a way to get work and looks good on your cv too.I do wish you the very best and will keep you in my prayers xx

Just find a job that isn’t that good…like a cashier at a grocery store until you can find the right job. I am a full-time student and still work a really bad job as a cashier ina department store to get by, Though I am thinking of quitting because I just got a loan.Think of it this way…if your mom is running low on money and helping you is gonna make it worse, fidn a part time and tell you mother that she doesn’t need to help you as much or at all. This will help your mother greatly just like she has been helping you!! It’s time to give back!!

I worked for several years at the GMF in the Cleveand USPS as a part-time flexible sub, in all that time I had less than 12 days off each year, yes days off, not holidays, often work 8, OT called at the time clock, off 6, called back in to work. The mail must go through and all that. I always found a Mass somewhere, I knew Mass schedules of all Churches downtown near work and near home and in between. I also kept up with kids, house and family. It can be done if you want to do it. I have worked many jobs, office, technical, factory, professional, academic, done shift work, all kinds of weird schedules, and a lot of the time dependent on public transportation. When laid-off or unemployed, I did cleaning of offices and factories. I also got two degrees in that time. How bad do you need a job? How bad do you want to get to Mass? How bad to you want to get to RCIA? There are home study and other alternatives if you are really serious. Your mom I am sure loves to be asked to help, and would be hurt if you did not ask when you really need it, but are you in a position to be picky right now? Having a job that pays the bills can make your search for the right job a lot easier.

Well I have a few sons that I have had to support so as a mother that has dealt with this I will give you my opinion.
Your RCIA and the Mass are your priorities that is good and I am glad to hear that. Is it possible to get a part time job?

[Been looking—FT. PT, and temp.]

Gas stations party stores etc are always hiring.

[She wants me to avoid convenience stores, liquor stores—any place some crackhead come come in and shoot me for $27 bucks in the register.]

Is it possible to move back home where it may not be as financially draining on your mom?

[We love each other but argue and squabble constantly when we try to live under the same roof. Neither of us wants me to move down there.]

Did you ask at the church if they were hiring?

[Oh yeah! I’d love to work there. I check the Diocese job site at least once a week. The school at my Church needed a librarian. I had two years of experience as a private school librarian. I faxed, mailed, and e-mailed my resume and letter at least six times to the principal, was never able to reach her on the phone, though I did leave voice mail, and I never heard a peep from her-- not even an acknowledgement she’d gotten my stuff. I’m still waiting to hear from the Diocesan Catechetics Office, but since I’m not that fluent in Spanish, I may be in a weak position.]

As long as my sons tried to work and were actively participating in the church, and doing what they could to improve themselves, school, church etc. As a mother it was not as difficult to deal with. But do find something because I am sure your mother can not always support you and it is important that you put forth the effort to find some kind of employment.

[Oh, I keep on keeping on, but I can’t help but wonder if my name isn’t red-flagged somewhere. I’ve even called old bosses and asked if so-and-so called them for a reference, and they say no one has. I’ve even tried for mall jobs where the kids who work there smirk that a man my age is applying there, and at grocery stores where the next oldest applicant is young enough to be my son.]

God bless and I will pray for you at Mass today.
[Many thanks.]

I can not answer your question “was I right or wrong?” I can, however, give you an idea what employers looks for when they are hiring. I have been hiring and unfortunately firing people for the last 20 years.
The first thing I look for is “attitude”. If two people applied for a job and one did not have the skills but was willing to learn and the other had more skills but seemed bored with life I would hire the one without the skills. It’s amazing how my unskilled applicants with good attitudes turned out to be great workers.

[The catch is, I’ve not been getting the leads. Over these three years everyone has given me tons of advice on interviewing, how to dress, how to do my resume and cover letter, etc., and while all that is important, it’s all secondary to finding the job opening. I’ve always had trouble job hunting all my life, which may be why I’ve been under-employed most all my life. I’ve only had one job I really loved, that utilized my skills (as opposed to requiring work any robot could do), and that paid me adult wages—enough to pay all my monthly bills with money left over.

I’ve tried all kinds of techniques to job-hunt—even going door-to-door. It just ain’t been happening.

I’m a good enough actor that I can fake interest in an interview. But if I’m miserable in a job it shows pretty quickly. Also, though I may seem interested during those interviews for jobs I don’t really want, I never really have any exciting things to say or ideas to contribute, the way I do if the interview is for something I want.]

I have hired many people who have been willing to take a “lesser” position when the desired position was not available and then promoted them to the desired position after a three month probationary period. Again, it shows they have the right attitude if they are willing to start at the bottom.

I do not recommend applying for a certain job if you know before hand that the hours would not be suitable. The employer usually is not willing to give the new employee the choice hours when he has not proven himself a loyal willing employee. It would not be fair to the other loyal workers.

[Well, in the case of this job, everyone works the same lousy hours.]

Have you considered working at a hospital during this period? Hospitals hire hundreds of employees. If you tell them you want to work “per diem” they will try to accomodate your requests for certain days. They hire people of all types of skills for all shifts. You would be performing a corporal work of mercy. You would also learn alot about life and death and still be able to earn money while you are learning about Catholicism.

[There are several major hospitals in my city, most of which are affiliated with a Catholic hospital. I’ve applied for probably around 100 jobs there over the last three years. They’re set up so once you submit your application there’s no one you can really talk to to check up on your status. I’ve never once gotten called in to interview, and only once did I get a card that said I wasn’t qualified for a certain job. The problem was, they didn’t say which job it was, and I’d applied for like 25 at the same time.]

Again, let me repeat…a good “attitude” is your most important job skill.

[My attitude problem is I get easily discouraged in the best of situations, but three years of rejections (which I take very personally), plus the humiliation of not being able to support myself, the depressing picture that I’m wasting my life and talents doing meaningless tasks—it all piles up, you know?]

God love you…and good luck!

[Thanks. I know something will have to break soon.]

Dear seeker63,

Like you, I have not had a permanent job since being laid off three years ago.

[That was the only job I ever loved. Getting laid off was like getting gut-shot.]

One thing I didn’t quite understand from your post was whether the temp job you didn’t want and the job that used your skills were the same job?
[No. One was temporary and paid so-so. It would not lead to a possibility of anything full-time, as I asked. The other was permanent, paid pretty well, and would actually have advanced my career, rather than just kept me barely afloat (which describes most of the jobs I’ve had in my life).]

If not, did your refusal of the one job somehow prevent you from being offered the other one?

[Nope. Totally different enterprises.]

Anyway, if your mother is like mine, it would have been wise to have reasons in addition to interfering with changing churches, when you told her why you turned down the job.

[Oh, she knows I’ve been attending Mass for months. I think she’d rather I stay Protestant, but she’s thrilled I’m at least going back to Church.]

It isn’t so much you are wrong about your priorities, but if she is helping to support you then you also need to give a very high priority to reducing or eliminating the amount you’re getting from her.

[Oh, I’m well aware of this. I’m just not getting any bites on my line, despite all the places and ways I’ve been looking.]

Unless I misunderstood, the conditions were very unreasonable regardless of your faith journey, which may have been reason enough not to take the job.

[Yeah. Even if I didn’t have Church in the equation, they would want me to stay later than the busses run, and I live in a remote part of town. Also, it’s unfair to keep an animal locked up without bathroom breaks for prolonged amounts of time. I worked 2 or 2 ½ weeks straight, seven days a week, for a political campaign last year. I was so tired I was cross-eyed, and my dog was annoyed with me and left “presents” of both types all over the rug.]

(Personally, I have been recovering from a mental disability and probably would not have been ready to jump into something that intense.) **

The last three years have taken a major toll on my physical and mental health, and that’s also hampered my job-hunting. I’ve suffered from serious depression for at least 21 years, but only started taking meds for it last year, but have had only so-so results. One type of med made me too sleepy to function. Lower doses made me depressed. A different med wasn’t effective in low doses. At maximum doses it’s been producing weird, menopausal-like symptoms (odd, in a man). I’ve been abnormally over-heated, sweaty, stinky, greasy, oily, and generally uncomfortable—and that can be just from sitting in one place with the AC on doing nothing!

I was also discovered to have a thyroid condition. Then this spring there was a major fire at my apartment complex and that left me a basket case for at least a month. The doctor said it was Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Fortunately I seemed to get over that, but I’ve been having serious problems with stress, anxiety, bursts of temper and annoyance, numbness in the extremities, and an ever-increasing amount of tremors in my hands. The doctor was so worried I wasn’t getting better he had me take an unbelievably expensive MRI to see if I had a brain tumor or Parkinson’s or something. No, thank God, it was just anxiety. (Oh, and Chronic Sinusitis.)

I was never very strong or cut out for physical stuff. I can’t stay on my feet too long, I tire easily, am deaf in one ear, and have poor vision, and adult case of ADD, a serious math disability, etc., etc. Yeah, I’m pretty much falling to pieces.]

It’s too bad that your potential employer could not have made accomodations, but when you insisted on “all day” Sunday, was that because of a hard schedule conflict with Mass or RCIA, or because you felt you had to keep the sabbath holy?

[That’s because I usually go to two Masses at two different churches and a 2 ½ hour Orthodox service as well. That wears me out, but is very fulfilling.]

Since it was a temporary job, I don’t know that the latter would have been cause to turn it down because, after all, Jesus broke the letter of the law on the sabbath from time to time to do good, such as feeding his people and healing. It isn’t about your lust for money, it is about taking money away from your mother – especially if she is a widow.

[She is a widow, but remarried. Yeah, I’m not looking for a million bucks—I’d just like to be able to support myself, maybe a family one day, and have some left over to spend on books.]

I wish you good luck in your endeavor, and welcome into the Church.

Oh, yeah. Are you good with numbers? **

Alan

Dear Friend

It is legitimate to miss Holy Mass if you have to work, food has to be put on the table, you can also attend a Saturday evening Mass which is counted as a Sunday Mass. Having said that this employer sounded inflexible. I don’t know whereabouts you are from, but it is illegal in the UK to enforce a person to work seven days a week without a break of one day off, it is also illegal to discriminate against an employee for their religious committments and/or beliefs.(They get around this in the UK by getting people to sign contracts of employment that clearly state you are willing to work Sundays, you don’t sign you don’t get the job…!! Once you are employed and they didn’t include that clause in the contract or omitted to explain that to you then people are able to sue if they are made to work sundays)
I think you knew you didn’t want that job, no-one is saying you have to take any job, if you know the result will be miserable for you. *

[Well, I’ve only had about one job in 25 years I wasn’t completely miserable in.]

You have had some good advice already, so I’ll add that work is prayer too, we are as Catholics called to a work and benefit ourselves, to avoid the sin of sloth etc. I’d take a part-time or temporary job doing just about anything which not only will boost yourself, but will show your Mum you are serious about finding work, you know what Mum’s are like, they worry!

Plus you can take good care of your dog this way, use some of the money to learn to drive and get a cheap car, which will widen your options of employment from just your local area.

When you get a full-time job, ask Mum if she will mind your dog for you, I would help in that but I’m in the UK ( I love dogs! )*

Do your RCIA classes take place on Sundays? They don’t tend to here because Sundays are a busy enough day for the Priests and are usually held in the evening on a week day when people can make it even if they have work committments. You could also explain to your Priest and ask if he is able to instruct you individually due to you having to find work if your employment clashes with when RCIA is held. I’m sure he’ll try and accomodate you.*

[RCIA for baptized candidates like me is September through December on Wednesday nights. RCIA for the unbaptized is Sunday mornings and runs through Easter.]

You put God first which is wonderful , now you can love your Mum and yourself by finding some enjoyable employment where you’ll meet lots of people with plenty of opportunity to discuss your faith. Congratulations on your RCIA xx

Also have you thought of doing some voluntary work meantime until you get employment, I did this when I was struggling to find work once and the organisation ended up employing me, it can be a way to get work and looks good on your cv too.I do wish you the very best and will keep you in my prayers xx

[My mom has nixed volunteer work, saying, “You should be spending all your waking hours looking for work.”]

Just find a job that isn’t that good…like a cashier at a grocery store until you can find the right job. I am a full-time student and still work a really bad job as a cashier ina department store to get by, Though I am thinking of quitting because I just got a loan.Think of it this way…if your mom is running low on money and helping you is gonna make it worse, fidn a part time and tell you mother that she doesn’t need to help you as much or at all. This will help your mother greatly just like she has been helping you!! It’s time to give back!!

[See my other responses. I’ve looked for full-time, part-time, a few good jobs, and a great deal of really bad, low-paying, dead-end ones. I had a temp job for 6 months. It was supposed to be full-time. My definition of full-time is 40 hours a week. Theirs was over 30. I didn’t even make enough to pay half my bills, and I was the Assistant Manager! I don’t mean to sound like a Communist, but there’s something wrong about a person working a full-time job and still not being able to pay for the basics.

Also, my job-hunting was delayed for two months this spring after there was a major fire at my apartment complex. It took me two months to find an affordable apartment that fit my needs, and that was two months of full-time looking. Yes, I would love to take the burden off my mom and be self-sufficient. I don’t feel like a man having to get this support. I just can’t find anything. I can’t get a response from anybody.]

I worked for several years at the GMF in the Cleveand USPS as a part-time flexible sub, in all that time I had less than 12 days off each year, yes days off, not holidays, often work 8, OT called at the time clock, off 6, called back in to work.

The mail must go through and all that. I always found a Mass somewhere, I knew Mass schedules of all Churches downtown near work and near home and in between. I also kept up with kids, house and family. It can be done if you want to do it. I have worked many jobs, office, technical, factory, professional, academic, done shift work, all kinds of weird schedules, and a lot of the time dependent on public transportation. When laid-off or unemployed, I did cleaning of offices and factories. I also got two degrees in that time. How bad do you need a job? How bad do you want to get to Mass? How bad to you want to get to RCIA? There are home study and other alternatives if you are really serious. Your mom I am sure loves to be asked to help, and would be hurt if you did not ask when you really need it, but are you in a position to be picky right now? Having a job that pays the bills can make your search for the right job a lot easier.

[The funny thing about being out of work all this time is people assume I’ve been doing nothing, that I haven’t been job-hunting or that I’m just looking for good jobs. The majority of the stuff I’ve looked for is low-paying, dead-end, miserable high schoolish-type jobs. I’ve sent out hundreds of resumes and letters, gone door to door even. The few that even bother to respond just tell me I’m overqualified, which is true. And yes, I’ve even tried places like grocery stores, as embarrassing as that is.]

hm. many of us seem to have this strange thing in common. i’ve got a bachelor’s degree and am 15 hrs short of my master’s degree, yet i’ve been working some menial jobs lately just to pay the bills.

i say look for a job you can do. i applied to a couple places, and one of them, i could tell it wasn’t going to work. even though i didn’t have another place to go, i ended my position with them to look for another. i also resigned from my position as a christian bookstore mgr when they announced (among many other things) that they were going to begin opening on sundays.

on the other hand, if i were you, i’d find SOMETHING, even if it’s not a great job, to make some money while you look around. i know how easy it is to drop into a funk and have an increasingly difficult time finding work if you’re out of the loop for a bit. take something - even waiting tables or subbing at a high school, to help pay bills until you find something that fits your talents and abilities.

for me, it’s been a really great thing for my pride to go through this time. i was, at one time, pretty full of myself, and looked for the best for myself. now, i’m alot humbler and have learned to see myself more realistically. so - through it all - as you work through this experience, i encourage you to see how God is using it for your good, allow it to be a process of ‘dying to yourself daily’.

God bless.

jeffreedy789 http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/statusicon_cad/user_online.gif vbmenu_register(“postmenu_185894”, true);
forums.catholic-questions.org/images/misc/im_msn.gif

http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Was I right or wrong?
hm. many of us seem to have this strange thing in common. i’ve got a bachelor’s degree and am 15 hrs short of my master’s degree, yet i’ve been working some menial jobs lately just to pay the bills.

i say look for a job you can do.

[That’s what I keep telling my mom.I said there’s no point in landing a job if they’re gonna fire me the first day because I’m incapable of doing it well.]
i applied to a couple places, and one of them, i could tell it wasn’t going to work. even though i didn’t have another place to go, i ended my position with them to look for another. i also resigned from my position as a christian bookstore mgr when they announced (among many other things) that they were going to begin opening on sundays.

on the other hand, if i were you, i’d find SOMETHING, even if it’s not a great job, to make some money while you look around.
[For the most part, that’s the only kind I have been looking for the last three years. I’m an out-of-work writer, and media jobs have been few and far between the last few years.]
i know how easy it is to drop into a funk and have an increasingly difficult time finding work if you’re out of the loop for a bit. take something - even waiting tables or subbing at a high school, to help pay bills until you find something that fits your talents and abilities.

for me, it’s been a really great thing for my pride to go through this time. i was, at one time, pretty full of myself, and looked for the best for myself. now, i’m alot humbler and have learned to see myself more realistically. so - through it all - as you work through this experience, i encourage you to see how God is using it for your good, allow it to be a process of ‘dying to yourself daily’.
[This experience has done nothing for my humility, but it has made me more miserable and eroded my self-worth and self-esteem to almost nothing. I’ve never felt so useless or that my life was such a complete waste as I have these last three years.]

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back