S
Socrates4Jesus
Guest
Introduction:
It’s a question that has haunted me, and something i’ve just got to know: Was Jesus intentionally ambiguous? I mean, when i read this,And [Jesus] took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
(Luke 22:19)
Catholics tell me He meant this,“This is [actually] my [actual] body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
(Luke 22:19)
but Protestants tell me He meant this,“This is [like] my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
(Luke 22:19)
And when i ask the meaning of this,Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
(John 19:25-27)
Catholics tell me He meant this,“Here is your mother [and the mother of all Catholics].”
but Protestants tell me He meant this,“Here is your [adopted] mother [who I want you to treat as though she is your own, even though she is not].”
And when i ask the meaning of this, When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
(Matthew 16:13-19)
Catholics say He meant this,“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on [you] I will build my church…”
but Protestants tell me He meant this,“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this [truth that I am the Son of God] I will build my church…”
Some Observations:
I find three things extremely curious about this:1. The passages that appear ambiguous are those about which Protestants and Catholic disagree. One might say they together are a cause of the Protestant Reformation!
The goal of this dialog:
You might find this odd, but my purpose is NOT to determine what Christ actually meant. (I suppose that would take many hundreds of posts and split this topic many times over, causing the Forum Moderator to pull out his hair!) I’m not opposed to discussing what Christ meant, as it relates to the reason for the apparent ambiguity of His words, but what He meant is not the truth i’m seeking at the moment. I’ve discussed what He meant in other discussion threads at length, only to come to the conclusion that Protestants and Catholics really have good reason to disagree, due to Christ’s ambiguity, which has deceived one group or the other.
My actual purpose is to find out whether Christ was ***deliberately ***ambiguous, and if He was, then what purpose would be served by making the New Testament ambiguous by design. Such ambiguity seems counter productive to His purpose, for He prayed:“Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.”
(John 17:11)
It’s a question that has haunted me, and something i’ve just got to know: Was Jesus intentionally ambiguous? I mean, when i read this,And [Jesus] took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
(Luke 22:19)
Catholics tell me He meant this,“This is [actually] my [actual] body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
(Luke 22:19)
but Protestants tell me He meant this,“This is [like] my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
(Luke 22:19)
And when i ask the meaning of this,Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
(John 19:25-27)
Catholics tell me He meant this,“Here is your mother [and the mother of all Catholics].”
but Protestants tell me He meant this,“Here is your [adopted] mother [who I want you to treat as though she is your own, even though she is not].”
And when i ask the meaning of this, When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
(Matthew 16:13-19)
Catholics say He meant this,“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on [you] I will build my church…”
but Protestants tell me He meant this,“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this [truth that I am the Son of God] I will build my church…”
Some Observations:
I find three things extremely curious about this:1. The passages that appear ambiguous are those about which Protestants and Catholic disagree. One might say they together are a cause of the Protestant Reformation!
- The devil and demons (if they exists) are using such passages to continue the division between Catholics and Protestants.
- Jesus (who is omniscient, and knew the future) could have chose His words more carefully and put a stop to all of the confusion and lack of unity before it began, but He did not.
The goal of this dialog:
You might find this odd, but my purpose is NOT to determine what Christ actually meant. (I suppose that would take many hundreds of posts and split this topic many times over, causing the Forum Moderator to pull out his hair!) I’m not opposed to discussing what Christ meant, as it relates to the reason for the apparent ambiguity of His words, but what He meant is not the truth i’m seeking at the moment. I’ve discussed what He meant in other discussion threads at length, only to come to the conclusion that Protestants and Catholics really have good reason to disagree, due to Christ’s ambiguity, which has deceived one group or the other.
My actual purpose is to find out whether Christ was ***deliberately ***ambiguous, and if He was, then what purpose would be served by making the New Testament ambiguous by design. Such ambiguity seems counter productive to His purpose, for He prayed:“Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.”
(John 17:11)