K
kcrandall91
Guest
I lied to my teacher today.
I’m a junior in college. I was on my way to class, but I had to stop at the library to do some last minute work on an assignment due today. Well, the computer didn’t work the way I needed it to, and thus I spent more time finishing the assignment than I anticipated. By the time I finished what I needed to finish, class had already started, and we can’t be late. We also had a quiz today, and usually if you miss class, you cannot make up the quiz.
In order to not get penalized for missing the quiz, I lied to my teacher by emailing her and saying that I was sick today and unable to come to class. Usually, we are required to get “university documentation” for sickness, but my university only gives out documentation for SERIOUS illnesses, like appendicitis and heart attacks. They don’t care if you have the flu or a cold or a migraine, etc–only “dire” illnesses. Anyway, that’s sort of besides the point.
So I lied about being sick, in order that my grade wouldn’t suffer. I was planning on going to class, was on my way to class–just had to make that “quick” pitstop in the library printing center, which turned out to take much longer than I thought–and thus couldn’t make it to class. I know all of of this could have been avoided if I had been prepared for class ahead of time.
I just can’t figure out if I’ve sinned mortally by lying in this way, or if it was only venial. I want to go to daily mass, but I’m not sure if I need to go to Confession first. Thank you for taking the time to help.
I’m a junior in college. I was on my way to class, but I had to stop at the library to do some last minute work on an assignment due today. Well, the computer didn’t work the way I needed it to, and thus I spent more time finishing the assignment than I anticipated. By the time I finished what I needed to finish, class had already started, and we can’t be late. We also had a quiz today, and usually if you miss class, you cannot make up the quiz.
In order to not get penalized for missing the quiz, I lied to my teacher by emailing her and saying that I was sick today and unable to come to class. Usually, we are required to get “university documentation” for sickness, but my university only gives out documentation for SERIOUS illnesses, like appendicitis and heart attacks. They don’t care if you have the flu or a cold or a migraine, etc–only “dire” illnesses. Anyway, that’s sort of besides the point.
So I lied about being sick, in order that my grade wouldn’t suffer. I was planning on going to class, was on my way to class–just had to make that “quick” pitstop in the library printing center, which turned out to take much longer than I thought–and thus couldn’t make it to class. I know all of of this could have been avoided if I had been prepared for class ahead of time.
I just can’t figure out if I’ve sinned mortally by lying in this way, or if it was only venial. I want to go to daily mass, but I’m not sure if I need to go to Confession first. Thank you for taking the time to help.