Z
Zenkai
Guest
Was he? I think I’ve read on some sites that he was, but on others I’ve read that he was likely a student of St. John.
So do we know for sure?
So do we know for sure?
I don’t know that its positive but probable as his time line and St Johns seem to intersect. It seems many sights use this New Advent link as a reference. Perhaps there is something concrete I have missed though.Was he? I think I’ve read on some sites that he was, but on others I’ve read that he was likely a student of St. John.
So do we know for sure?
From the Roman Church, representing all the churches, the writer then passes on to two Churches, that of Smyrna, in which, in the person of Polycarp, the sub-Apostolic Age had been carried down to a time still within living memory, and the Church of Ephesus, where, in the person of St. John, the Apostolic Age had been prolonged till “the time of Trajan”. Of Polycarp he says, “he was not only taught by the Apostles, and lived in familiar intercourse with many that had seen Christ, but also received his appointment in Asia from the Apostles as Bishop in the Church of Smyrna”. He then goes on to speak of his own personal acquaintance with Polycarp, his martyrdom, and his visit to Rome, where he converted many heretics. He then continues, "there are those who heard him tell how John, the disciple of the Lord, when he went to take a bath in Ephesus, and saw Cerinthus within, rushed away from the room without bathing, with the words ‘Let us flee lest the room should fall in, for Cerinthus, the enemy of the truth, is within’. Yea, and Polycarp himself, also, when on one occasion Marcion confronted him and said ‘Recognise us’, replied, ‘Ay, ay, I recognise the first-born of Satan’ ".