Was this a lie?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scc11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scc11

Guest
The other day I went to a noon mass and saw someone I havent seen in about 4 months. Last time I saw this person I was working as a detention officer at a juvenile detention center. When I saw her she asked how work was going. I said OK its tough. I havent been working at that place for almost 3 months now. Some might say why didnt you just say Im not working there anymore. Reason is, Im a college graduate and a juvenile detention officer jobs sounds reasonable after college. After I quit there I returned to my job at a drycleaner. I left the detention center because what I was making wasnt worth what I was putting into gas ($300/MONTH). In a way I embarassed because I feel like a waste of space.
 
The other day I went to a noon mass and saw someone I havent seen in about 4 months. Last time I saw this person I was working as a detention officer at a juvenile detention center. When I saw her she asked how work was going. I said OK its tough. I havent been working at that place for almost 3 months now. Some might say why didnt you just say Im not working there anymore. Reason is, Im a college graduate and a juvenile detention officer jobs sounds reasonable after college. After I quit there I returned to my job at a drycleaner. I left the detention center because what I was making wasnt worth what I was putting into gas ($300/MONTH). In a way I embarassed because I feel like a waste of space.
Of course it was a lie…it was not true…you are not working there. One doesn’t have to come out an state an untruth verbally…a lie is when you want to someone to believe what you are saying is true…but you know it is not.

One can speak true words in such a way as to be a lie. Intent and inflection in one’s voice may shield a lie if one tells the truth in such a way as ot make the person the “truth” is being told to beleive something else.

A lie is an intentional deceit one “foists” upon another.

Question…if she asked you how your job at the juvinile center was going and you indicated you still worked there…either by commission or omission…you lied…you intended to decieve her and/or give a false impression.

Sounds to me, you lied to preserve your pride…which is also a sin…isn’t it?

Perhaps another sin was you did not find value in your own worth and hard work…perhaps you should embrace your work with a sense of achievement…there is no failure in putting food on your table no matter what kind of degree you have…honest work and employment…is honest work and employment…and it is honorable…you dishonored yourself if no one else.
 
What he said above.

But not a Mortal sin if that was your question.
 
The other day I went to a noon mass and saw someone I havent seen in about 4 months. Last time I saw this person I was working as a detention officer at a juvenile detention center. When I saw her she asked how work was going. I said OK its tough. I havent been working at that place for almost 3 months now. Some might say why didnt you just say Im not working there anymore. Reason is, Im a college graduate and a juvenile detention officer jobs sounds reasonable after college. After I quit there I returned to my job at a drycleaner. I left the detention center because what I was making wasnt worth what I was putting into gas ($300/MONTH). In a way I embarassed because I feel like a waste of space.
CCC 2482 “A lie consists in speaking a falsehood with the intention of deceiving.” The Lord denounces lying as the work of the devil: “You are of your father the devil, . . . there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
 
Ask for God’s forgiveness, and forgive yourself. End of story.

You may also want to think about what your goals are for the future. A good book to get a hold of is called “Discover What You’re Best At.” Here’s a link:

amazon.com/Discover-What-Youre-Best-At/dp/0684839563/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344045334&sr=8-1&keywords=Discover+what+you%27re+best+at

Once you take the test, you will want to do some research on the area/areas that the test results say you are good at. Be prepared to be surprised to see what you have an apptitude for.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to work in a juvenile detention center. It has to be depressing. Working in another establishment is nothing to be ashamed of. It is honest and decent work. Next time, you can just say that you moved on to another job. If they ask more questions, you can honestly say that the job is more conducive to the hours required for job interviewing. After all, you are smart enough to finish college, and so you clearly have other aspirations. The economy is pretty bad right now, and so people are taking what they can until something better comes along.

Heavenly Father, thank You for making dreams come true for Your child. Amen.
 
If its considered a lie I thought lieing was a mortal sin
CCC 2484 The gravity of a lie is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.
 
OK thanks for pointing that out. Guess I just need to get the courage to speak up! There is something inside of me that is afraid of being judged by others but I need to realize that the only person who can truly judge me is God.
CCC 2484 The gravity of a lie is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.
 
I think the “lie” issue has been addressed enough. What I see being the bigger issue is where you feel embarrassed…like a waste of space. Never be ashamed of where you work or what your job is. Someone has to do it, and it can be as important as you make it. And if you are not happy with it…then work to move ahead from there. You work at a dry-cleaners…providing a service to people that many folks wouldn’t want to do. And if you have your sights aimed higher, then admit (to yourself and those who inquire) it’s a starting point. Most successful college grads started off at the bottom of a ladder…and many of those do not measure success by a paycheck. FWIW, My first job out of college was mowing lawns for minimum wage. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top