Was this a valid consecration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hollyangel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hollyangel

Guest
I was on vacation last weekend and went to a church I’d never been to before. During the consecration, the priest never lifted up the host or the chalice. I’m used to priests lifting up the host after “this is my body…” and then the chalice after “this is the cup of my blood…” But during this Mass, he didn’t even touch them while he said the words of consecration. Was this a valid consecration?
 
I was on vacation last weekend and went to a church I’d never been to before. During the consecration, the priest never lifted up the host or the chalice. I’m used to priests lifting up the host after “this is my body…” and then the chalice after “this is the cup of my blood…” But during this Mass, he didn’t even touch them while he said the words of consecration. Was this a valid consecration?
If the bread and wine were the right kind of material, he was a real priest, and he said the words correctly with correct intent, it’s valid, in my understanding. Other than these things, pretty much anything else done incorrectly is illicit, not invalid.

(Illicit means not permitted; invalid means the sacrament did not actually happen.)
 
Thanks Bbigam! Glad to know it was valid. And thanks for explaining the difference between illicit and invalid. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top