Was this losing of my temper a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nsper7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nsper7

Guest
I was carrying in stuff from my car, specifically including a bag of food from McDonald’s. In the middle of the street, the bag broke and I got really mad, cursing multiple times and yelling, slamming the door in my house and kicking the indoor garbage can and the cabinet door where the can is kept.

Was this loss of tempor a mortal sin? Personally, I don’t think so because I was not taking my anger out on anyone, more just angry at the unfortunate accident, but I was cursing and I had lost my tempor. So, was this a mortal sin? Why or why not?

EDIT: And I had just gotten home from making a Confession, so I will fee real weird about two Confessions the same day or something. Also, when I was in the street cleaning up the mess, my cursing probably could have been heard by others, but I don’t think I was cursing at anyone and I don’t think I took the Lord’s name in vain.
 
I don’t know if losing one’s temper at events, not people, is a sin or not.

I do understand how it sort of took away your joy after Confession.
It disturbed your peace, so to speak.😦

I would say, that maybe praying a couple of times a day, for 20 min or so, in a repetitive way and including meditations on “higher things”, such as the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet, can help “ground” your feelings long enough to control the restlessness that must be present constantly to lose your temper at such small happenings. :idea:

In other words, your peace is TOO easily disturbed…life is FULL of mishaps, lost items, missed chances, bad timings, accidents, etc…to be so easily perturbed. Then, there’s the “biggies” when people actually harm us, sometimes even on purpose…and it truly hurts… But, sometimes we handle those instances better actually, since they are occasional.

In my case, after I leave the Perpetual Adoration Chapel, [my favorite treat!;)] and I feel especially wonderful and peaceful…sometimes someone [won’t name names…] will just throw a bucket of what feels like “acid rain” on me…and I lash out…and then feel horrible about it!
As if that someone had a remote control on me, and at will, could just press the right combination of buttons and I have no choice or freedom, I just “jump”… Sad!:crying:

I wonder if these are sins, and how serious…I really don’t know…just know that it feels really bad especially after a nice Confession or prayer session in front of the Blessed Sacrament Himself! 😦
 
I lose my temper and I feel that when it is just, Like Jesus did in the temple with the money changers, I lose my temper if things go wrong and when I feel I was treated unjustly I let people know about it. We can’t be a doormat. Losing your temper over something trivial like dropping something or a soda machine takes your 75 cents , If you explode that is a little overboard but if you feel you got really screwed in life, yeah tell Jesus about it.
If you feel like you sinned err on caution and go to confession and it is over with no worries. That is what I would do. When in doubt go to confession. Scoob.
 
I lose my temper and I feel that when it is just, Like Jesus did in the temple with the money changers, I lose my temper if things go wrong and when I feel I was treated unjustly I let people know about it. We can’t be a doormat. Losing your temper over something trivial like dropping something or a soda machine takes your 75 cents , If you explode that is a little overboard but if you feel you got really screwed in life, yeah tell Jesus about it.
If you feel like you sinned err on caution and go to confession and it is over with no worries. That is what I would do.** When in doubt go to confession.** Scoob.
That is how I ended up in Confession 4x this week (Scrupulosity).

So, do you think it was a mortal sin?
 
I don’t think it’s a mortal sin to have a tantrum by yourself. I’d think it’s temporal.
 
That is how I ended up in Confession 4x this week (Scrupulosity).
Sometimes maybe you could look at some good things you do might help with you anger.Confession 4x in one week is awesome.Not the sining part but that you know yourself and try that hard to stay clean with God.That’s awesome.
 
Maybe you can look at the reason for these tempremental outbursts which show you must be quick tempereded ’ maybe overreact to these types of occurrences just a little too often? Taking this to meditation and prayer with Our Lord might be a better first step than immediatly worrying about mortal sin. Just a little advice from someone who has a quick temper to master herself!😉
 
not that you should quit goingto confession. It sounds like you should confess it but I wouldn’t forgo communion because of the tantrum alone. Confession is supposed to help with graces to stop the problem. So if I have a consistant problem I should go to confession alot about it.But I don’t think tantrumms by yourself are mortal sins.Tantrums in front of my kids are pretty serious sins to me.
 
That is how I ended up in Confession 4x this week (Scrupulosity).

So, do you think it was a mortal sin?
No unless you cursed God in anger by saying his name in vein, then it would be a mortal sin, But if you just said the s word or the F word, I would say it is a venial sin. But going to confession 4 times a week is better than not knowing. I wouldn’t worry about it, We all lose our temper and get frustrated. These times are tough and it is easy to let our emotions get the best of us. That is my opinion and I would confess it if it makes you feel better next time you go to confession, If you are truly sorry and you want to go to confession but God took you before I would say you are safe. Scoob
 
Hi Nsper
If you have to ask the question it shows that you do not have full knowledge of it as a sin. Only you can judge the situation. Each time we think we fall, we need to look at the cause and be wary of allowing ourself to be triggered off again. Only you can judge if you need extra help with your outbursts. Ask yourself why did I lose control? Anger is one of the hardest emotions to control and I think most would agree that we have all have had outbursts of anger ourselves. I will pray for you may God bless you with his peace cheers geoff
 
40.png
human_being:
I don’t think it’s a mortal sin to have a tantrum by yourself. I’d think it’s temporal.Correction venial not temporal. I saw that in one of the other posts.
 
That is how I ended up in Confession 4x this week (Scrupulosity).

So, do you think it was a mortal sin?
You are blessed to have the opportunity to confess that often. AT our parish there are really no confession times at all except for penance services twice a year. It’s sad. I really want to go every week, but it just can’t happen. Count yourself blessed.🙂
 
I sometimes lose my temper and can be incredibly rude to people. :eek:, I like to make up for my jerkiness by being extra kind to the next stranger if that’s all I can do or apologize to the one I offfended. Didn’t sound like you got mad at anyone other then yourself? It happens to us all, maybe say a quick prayer for patience and move on…Peace…
 
i don’t think swearing is a big sin. It is just words spoken in frustration. IF the words are directed at a person, that is obviously sinful but just cursing things or situations is, in my opinion, not a big thing.

It’s hard enough to stop doing all those other things that ARE sinful. So i just allow myself this one “indulgence”… In other words, i don’t beat myself up about it. I used to but then i realized i had a bad habit of swearing in certain situations and couldn’t seem to stop. I don’t do it in fron to people so don’t think it is a big deal. The wy i figure it is: if i am focused on the swearing I am NOT focused on more serious things… 🤷
 
I was carrying in stuff from my car, specifically including a bag of food from McDonald’s. In the middle of the street, the bag broke and I got really mad, cursing multiple times and yelling, slamming the door in my house and kicking the indoor garbage can and the cabinet door where the can is kept.
Your blood boils when you get angry. If you take a sample of your blood after you have been angry and inject it into a hamster (they can accept our blood) the hamster will die within 24 hours.

(Remember, the sons of Abraham, Issac and Jacob thought that the life-force resides in the blood; they were correct, to a certain extent)

Anger is one of the six enemies of man. In another spiritual tradition, it is taught that getting angry and losing your temper takes away 3 months worth of spiritual effort and prayers.
Was this loss of temper a mortal sin? Personally, I don’t think so because I was not taking my anger out on anyone, more just angry at the unfortunate accident, but I was cursing and I had lost my tempor. So, was this a mortal sin? Why or why not?
Mortal sin is that which separates you from the Divine. Mortal sin is the rupture, the sundering of that relationship. Do you really feel that you ruptured that relationship? A relationship of love?
EDIT: And I had just gotten home from making a Confession, so I will feel real weird about two Confessions the same day or something. Also, when I was in the street cleaning up the mess, my cursing probably could have been heard by others, but I don’t think I was cursing at anyone and I don’t think I took the Lord’s name in vain.
Past is past; leave it in the past. A guilty conscience is often worse than the guilty act itself. You are not taught to carry a guilty conscience around, you are taught that the Kingdom of God is within you. Seek the Lord in your heart and restore that relationship of love.

Scruples don’t serve you at all. Love is what serves you. Love God, turn to God with love, and leave the past in the past.
 
Anger is a normal human reaction. In this regard, it can be said to be either justified anger or unjustified anger, depending on what you got angry about. However, the point often overlooked in talking about anger is, did you control it, or did it control you.?

Whether justified or unjustified, if you control your anger quickly, and reasonably, and chalk up the incident that led to your anger as just another event in your day, (particularly if it involves anger at another person, and you tell yourself, “Ok, I’m over it,” and privately forgive the other person for whatever caused you anger, whether justified or unjustified) then I do not believe you have sinned at all.

If, however, you allow your anger to rule your behavior unreasonably, then I think you have sinned. I think you let you anger get the better of you here.

Was your sin a mortal sin? No, I don’t think so. For one thing, you question in your own mind if it was. A mortal sin is a serious evil act and the person committing it must both know at the time the act is committed, that it is a serious evil act, and then knowing such, must deliberately and with freedom of will, commit the act.

The problem with anger is it gives the Evil One a chance to invade our thoughts, our being, and to operate there, sometimes causing much harm to our soul.

Saint Paul tells us in a letter to the Ephesians (4:26-27): If you are angry, let it be without sin. The sun must not go down on your wrath; do not give the devil a chance to work on you.
 
If you suffer from scrupulosity you should have a regular confessor who is aware of it and direct you on how often it is appropriate for you to go confession. Scrupulosity is a special concern and 4 times a week sounds excessive. And no, cursing at a Mcdonald’s bag is not going to send you to hell.

Please see link below
mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

I have a scrupulous child so I am familiar with the difficulty.
 
Dear NSper7,

Please disregard my previous post. I was trying to edit it, but didn’t finish it in time. This is how the post should have read:

Anger is a normal human reaction. In this regard, it can be said to be either justified anger or unjustified anger, depending on what you got angry about. However, the point often overlooked in talking about anger is, did you control it, or did it control you.?

Whether justified or unjustified, if you control your anger quickly, and reasonably, and chalk up the incident that led to your anger as just another event in your day, then I do not believe you have sinned at all, particularly when your anger has not involved anyone else but yourself. Likewise, if your anger involved another, and you worked things out amicably between yourselves, then I believe you have satisfied God’s sense of justice.

If, however, you allow your anger to rule your behavior unreasonably, that is, you hold a grudge or you allow your anger to fester inside of you, or you give vent to unreasonable behavior, then I think you have sinned.

In this case I think you let you anger get the better of you here.

Was your sin a mortal sin? No, I don’t think so. For one thing, you question in your own mind if it was. A mortal sin is a serious evil act and the person committing it must both know at the time the act is committed, that it is a serious evil act, and then knowing such, must deliberately and with freedom of will, commit the act.

The problem with anger is it gives the Evil One a chance to invade our thoughts, our being, and to operate there, sometimes causing much harm to our soul.

Saint Paul tells us in a letter to the Ephesians (4:26-27): If you are angry, let it be without sin. The sun must not go down on your wrath; do not give the devil a chance to work on you.

One final word on anger and our relationships with others; this is what the Lord has to say: (Mathew 5)

21 "You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raqa,’ will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. 23 Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, 24 leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. 26 Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.

In other words, work out your differences with your fellows so the Lord doesn’t have to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top