Wasting time at work sinful?

• Thread starter Thread starter rivera01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think you could get me a job at one of those companies? 😄 😄
You ever work for the government? I did and my mother did. You can guess what often goes on there.

Also worked for a lot of firms where the “assistant” was a perk for an important person, or a way of using up excess budget, or was hired for goodwill purposes (they hired X assistants a year from School Y etc). Assistants often didn’t have much work to do in those situations.

This person works for a non-profit. Many non-profits don’t exactly have the Charlie Hustles of the world working there (because they don’t have to make a profit and they don’t pay much), unless it’s some super big name or high profile non-profit that people are beating down the doors to have on their resume.

Last edited:
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Do you think you could get me a job at one of those companies? 😄 😄
You ever work for the government? I did and my mother did. You can guess what often goes on there.

Also worked for a lot of firms where the “assistant” was a perk for an important person, or a way of using up excess budget, or was hired for goodwill purposes (they hired X assistants a year from School Y etc). Assistants often didn’t have much work to do in those situations.

This person works for a non-profit. Many non-profits don’t exactly have the Charlie Hustles of the world working there, unless it’s some super big name or high profile non-profit that people are beating down the doors to have on their resume.
Never did work for the government, unless you count a graduate assistantship at the state university. I tried to get a federal job in DC and finally had to give up. Just wasn’t in the cards.

Last edited:
I’m sure they do, some of them, but the stereotype with federal jobs at the time (1980s-1990s) was that you have ultimate job security, can’t get fired, amazing benefits, you work but you don’t have to work yourself to death, you work your 40 hours and that’s that, and the rest of your week is your own to enjoy without having to worry about the office. I tried to get on for years, even went back and got my MBA to enhance my chances, but it never happened. Retired, doesn’t matter now.

Even though you’ve finished your tasks, you’re still on company time and being paid for that time. If your supervisor tells you to read company policies and contracts after you’ve finished your assignments, then do that. He or she is the boss.

Doing personal stuff on company time isn’t right. You aren’t being paid to do those things.

You could ask for fewer hours if you work that fast. That way, you can do your personal stuff on your own time.

Last edited:
When I was employed, oh, those were the days, I had to disengage my brain from work, occasionally and it often comes up with solutions to problems I have been tackling. It usually happens when I am not consciously thinking of the problem.

This enables me not just to plod along but to leap and even fly when it comes to productivity.

The occasional breaks actually enhances productivity.

It seems to me that being employed at planned parenthood is sinful no matter how little you do to further their cause. There are better ways to work against abortion without causing scandal by being employed at such and evil place. Besides, a PP employee who tried to talk women out of abortions would likely find herself unemployed very quickly.

This is exactly how I feel, they I’m just there to use the excess funds that the business has. My job is not difficult by any means. I know my job isn’t degrading, but since it is entry level, I feel that I am not bring used to the best of my abilities. As far as reading policies and contracts are concerned, I am more than convinced that I am given these tasks because my supv didn’t expect me to finish the assigned work promptly and therefore given it to have something to do. I cannot ask to do another task more in line with my experience because those positions are filled.

Most of the time all I am doing is data entry from a word doc to ask excel spreadsheet. Or compound and filling documents, which doesn’t take much time or effort.

I’m 39 years old, I just have had a strong work ethic my entire life. I do not like sitting around doing nothing and this is something that I told my superiors at the interview. Prior to working for the business, I was working for a family owned business that specializes in immigration and family court processes for almost 10 years. I always had something to do and many projects at the same time. I wore many hats since I was the only guy for quite sometime and did from maintenance to IT. I left them because I started my own business in the same field and since I didn’t want to cause a conflict of interest I thought it best for me to leave and temporarily work for this company while my business picks up.

I also wanted to add that I listen to sermons by doing data entry. Btw, sensus fidelium is awesome!

Doubt it. There was a time when jobs were important. Now we turn people into legal slaves making them ditch their family to flip burgers shelling out 99 cent heart attacks to the public. There is a great need for universal wages. The oppression of 40 hour weeks is heavier than most are attuned to realize. Real problem causing real issues. Especially when your out catching covid so you can do some trivial job that makes zero difference and actually harms people more then helps anyone. USA is only 300 years old but is a lame duck . Slavery and murder is what the US has been standing for the past 200 years.

Here is the question, do you want to advance in this corp? Do you want to gain knowledge and improve your skills? OR do you want to just draw a paycheck til something better comes along?

If the former, then, use the down time to become a real benefit to your employer. HR is a field with so much to learn, and this knowledge will serve you in the future, especially running your own business. Treat your job as a paid classroom. Be an asset to this non profit. Help their mission with your going above and beyond.

If you don’t care about the mission of the org, only want a paycheck, it might be best to find a different job and allow this opportunity to go to someone who is eager to make a difference.

It’s not that I don’t care for the mission, is because my job is a temporary one year appointment. So I will work as diligently and hard as possible in the mean time.

Last edited:
It is up to the organization you work for to see that you have sufficent work for the time for which you are paid.

Meaning, if you get paid for an 8 hour day, it is up to them to find work to keep you occupied.

If they do not provide enough work to fill the day, and you have pointed this out, then you walk a bit if a thin line between being left with not enough to do, and finding your hours cut back.

You might see if you can be cross trained into some other area of their work/business/processes.

Count yourself lucky. Many people toil 12 hours a day earning minimum wage in harsh or unpleasant conditions. These people would love to have a spare 20 minutes to watch youtube…

Last edited:
There is a great need for universal wages.
Y’all might want to do some reading in economics, particularly in the area relating psychology to economics.

Karl Marx thought he had it down pat and waxed eloquent on his philosophy, which at the heart of it had a utopian theory of human nature.

So far, the application of his economic theories have been a bust, but utopianists keep trying. Even the Chinese and the Vietnamese have figured this out - one could say, in the case of the Chinese, with a vengeance. A came across a list of billionaires (with a “b” - not a mistype) and stopped counting at 163. Not exactly old Karl’s philosophy in action.

I am not a proponent of raging capitalism, but your comments are detached from the real world and show a clear indication of a lack of historical perspective.

I mean, if you’re still physically there, you’re technically not robbing them of the time they’re paying for, presuming the only task you have at the moment is to sit in a chair. Most people can multi-task chair-sitting with a couple personal items pretty effectively.

Man, I gotta get an i-pod or something with a better battery and storage than my phone so I also can do that while landscaping. Being paid to listen to Fr. Ripperger sounds like a dream.

I mean, if you’re still physically there, you’re technically not robbing them of the time they’re paying for, presuming the only task you have at the moment is to sit in a chair. Most people can multi-task chair-sitting with a couple personal items pretty effectively.
If you’re still physically there and not performing the services they’ve hired you for, then they aren’t getting what they’re paying for. If they know this, and still allow it, that’s on them. But, I can’t imagine any employer keeping someone around who isn’t filling the time they’re paying for with the work they’re paying for. At the very least, it would be good business to reduce your hours, or else find more work for you to do of the kind they need to have done.

Reducing the hours of someone because he gets his work done quickly and efficiently is a terrible business practice, and only encourages employees to slack off. The business could certainly find other work for the employee to do, but if they knowingly choose not to do this it’s on them, not the employee, especially if he has asked for more work.

But, I can’t imagine any employer keeping someone around who isn’t filling the time they’re paying for with the work they’re paying for.
Many posters on this thread have testified that that very thing has happened to them.

It’s beyond me why any employer would simply want anyone to “fill time”. The smart employers care more about what you get done than how much time you spend doing it.

Laying off (or reducing “hours” - if synonymous with pay - since most will quit if they see a drastic pay reduction) someone who is able to accomplish a lot in a small amount of time isn’t necessarily smart business unleaa you know for sure you that you’ll be able to get by with the less productive replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back