Waving of the Soseppa

• Thread starter Thread starter Elvis_George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I’m not really joining this thread, but had to say that the OP’s third video actually brought tears to my eyes. It’s been that long since I’ve heard it, and the bonus is that it was done in Syriac!!!
The Syro Malankara video???
And the fluttering of the hands is found by all West Syriac Churches, especally during the “Hossana song” and during the Epiclesis. It’s also done during ordiantions.

Indeed the hands are also fluttered at the end of the Preface, at the words Qadish! Qadish! Qadish! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it done properly in a Maronite church that I’d nearly forgotten.

We say Qandish, Qandish, Qandish because the East Syriac spoken in Kerala is different from the ones spoken in the Middle East. We say
"Aareem kaalkon ushabahu kolle ammaa laalaahaa hayyaa.

Kandeeshaa aalaahaa
Kandeeshaa hylsaanaa
Kandeeshaa laa maayosaa
Esraaham aleyn

Shuvhaa laavaa ulavraa valroohaa dkudishaa

Kandeeshaa aalaahaa
Kandeeshaa hylsaanaa
Kandeeshaa laa maayosaa
Esraaham aleyn

Min aalam vaadammaa laalam aammen vaammen

Kandeeshaa aalaahaa
Kandeeshaa hylsaanaa
Kandeeshaa laa maayosaa
Esraaham aleyn"

You guys say something like
Qadishat Aloho, Qadishat Hylsono, Qadishat lo Moyoso
right? And don’t you guys add the “He who was crucified”?

Last edited:
so many things, East and west, have such sources to which meaning was later added (altar rails, iconostasis, this, waving the cherubikon, adding Zeon to the Cup, and probably many I’ve never heard . . .)
This is very true, and many times people attribute more meaning to the subsequent action that was ever intended. In the west, the lavabo, for example. The fanning of the Holy Gifts with ripidia or one of the veils (diskos or chalice) was just to keep flies and other insects away.

Fr. Deacon Christopher

Is that the Trisagion (Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy and Immortal, have mercy on us) in Syriac?

The chalice or diskos covers may be waived in lieu of the ripidia, FYI.

(For the same purpose, keep away bugs).

Fr. Deacon Christopher

yes it is! In the West Syriac tradition they add “He who was crucified for us”

Oh good! Now I know another version of the Trisagion.

Excuse my ignorance but what part of that is “who was crucified for us” in the transliteration you posted? In the Byzantine Tradition it refers to the Trinity not just Our Lord.

Also where is the Glory be to the Father… in the Syriac Trisagion?

The phrase “Who was crucififed for us” is only used in the West Syriac, Alexandrian, and Amrenian rite. The phrase itself is a trademark of miaphysitism. The Trisagion I just transliterated was the East Syriac or “Nestorian” one althought there is no difference between the East Syriac Triasgion and Byzantine Triagsion.

Shuvhaa laavaa ulavraa valroohaa dkudishaa
@Margaret_Ann This is the Glory be to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit part.

“Min aalam vaadammaa laalam aammen vaammen”
Is the “Now and Forever Amen” part

So if i have this right, the Byzantine Trisagion in the Divine Liturgy in your language would look like this:

Kandeeshaa aalaahaa
Kandeeshaa hylsaanaa
Kandeeshaa laa maayosaa
Esraaham aleyn. (3) (Holy God… 3x)

Shuvhaa laavaa ulavraa valroohaa dkudishaa (Glory)

Min aalam vaadammaa laalam aammen
vaammen (Now…)

Kandeeshaa laa maayosaa
Esraaham aleyn. (Holy and Immortal, have mercy on us.)

Kandeeshaa aalaahaa
Kandeeshaa hylsaanaa
Kandeeshaa laa maayosaa
Esraaham aleyn. (Holy God…)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back