Wedding Readings

  • Thread starter Thread starter JanelleCB
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JanelleCB

Guest
Hello all,
My fiance and I are getting married on June 28th of this year and are currently looking into and praying about the readings that we would like to have at the wedding mass.
We have several ideas, including Song of Songs 2:8-10,14; 1 Corinthians 12; and 1 John 3:18-24.
but would be delighted in hearing some suggestions to help us find the scripture that most speaks to us.

Thanks for your help!
Janelle
 
Hello all,
My fiance and I are getting married on June 28th of this year and are currently looking into and praying about the readings that we would like to have at the wedding mass.
We have several ideas, including Song of Songs 2:8-10,14; 1 Corinthians 12; and 1 John 3:18-24.
but would be delighted in hearing some suggestions to help us find the scripture that most speaks to us.

Thanks for your help!
Janelle
ALL I can say is make sure that the readings you pick are the ones listed in the Rite for Marriage.
 
I think the proposed readings mentioned in the OP are a good choice; the wedding at Cana certainly makes for a good homily.
 
I suggest you get the booklet Together For Life by Fr. Joseph Champlin
 
ALL I can say is make sure that the readings you pick are the ones listed in the Rite for Marriage.
They don’t have to be. They can be other readings from the lectionary. The ones suggested are simply suggested because they have to do wtih marriage more directly.

I play 30-50 weddings a year…let me tell you, pretty much everyone chooses corinthians “Love is patient”, etc, etc.

Last year I played the wedding of the chastity educator for the diocese, (she’s also written a book about it). The focus of their readings/homily was very theology of the body “This is my body given for you”. The gospel was the last supper. VERY cool.
 
When I got married, some 36+ years ago, we had a booklet that listed a selection of readings from both old and new testament. Try Tobit for another reading. Song of Songs has some pretty racy sections that you may want to avoid.
Isn’t there something in the pre-Cana material to help plan the wedding ceremony?

Matthew
 
Hello all,
My fiance and I are getting married on June 28th of this year and are currently looking into and praying about the readings that we would like to have at the wedding mass.
We have several ideas, including Song of Songs 2:8-10,14; 1 Corinthians 12; and 1 John 3:18-24.
but would be delighted in hearing some suggestions to help us find the scripture that most speaks to us.

Thanks for your help!
Janelle
You need to replace one of these by a reading from a gospel. You may want to also select a Responsorial Psalm.
 
You don’t say if you are getting married in the evening. One thing you might need to consider is that if you are getting married during (and after) the anticipated Sunday Vigil Mass, your readings may change, especially since June 28th is the Vigil for the Solemntiy of Sts. Peter and Paul.

When I assisted at the weddings at the Cathedral, our rector told the couples that Sunday readings trumped wedding readings. This also held true if that particular Sunday had the observance of a Solemnity like Sts. Peter and Paul, the Transfiguration, the Assumption and the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. This also held true of the couples were choosing to marry during weekends in Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter (inclusive of Pentecost). We didn’t have weddings, for obvious reasons, the Saturday before Palm Sunday and Holy Saturday.

We also had a wedding on the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe (big celebration down here) and the couple had to use the readings for OLG. We had one couple get married during the vigil for the 3rd Sunday of Advent. The mother of the bride was madder than a hornet because she expected the Christmas tree to be up. We told her that it was not Christmas yet and we weren’t allowing poinsettias up. The bride was happy, though, becasue her colors were pink and the rector had worn rose vestments. She thought he did it just for her. 😃

Of course, along with the readings, the rector also required that a collection be taken up, since this was also going to be a Sunday Mass. The brides didn’t mind.
 
Thank you everyone for your great responses and help.

Pious Mat; We hadn’t thought of the marriage at Cana, but that sounds neat, we’ll look at it.

1ke; We do have the booklet Together for Life and it has definately been helpful on getting us started, thanks for the thought.

Agapewolf; yes, we have thought about the fact that most people choose first Chorinthians, they even make a joke about that in the Wedding Crashers. your story about the chastity educator was neat, and I’m sure made the wedding even more personal and special, thanks for sharing.

We’ll look at all the other scriptures you mentioned as well, this has been such a wonderful opportunity for us to explore the Bible with our love in mind and our love for Christ that makes this journey even more rich.

By the way, the readings I had said we were looking at were ones we liked so far, not indicating that those three would go together.

Benedictgal; we are getting married on a Saturday about 2-3pm, so early afternoon. The church starts confessions around 4:30 and then masses, so we needed to do it earlier. By the way, that is so interesting about the solemnity of St. Peter and St. Paul. We’ll have to learn more about that. I’m sure it will be something special for us.
 
. …

Of course, along with the readings, the rector also required that a collection be taken up, since this was also going to be a Sunday Mass. The brides didn’t mind.
I once saw a cartoon of a collection being taken up at a wedding. The usher was explaining:* I know it is unusual, but the bride’s father insisted*… 😃
 
We had the creation of woman, Ephisians (wives be submissive, husbands love your wives), and gospel about the 2 becoming 1 Flesh (don’t recall the passage)

Had I been of the mindset when DH and I get hitched, I would have totally gone the Theology of the Body route and made his Protestant family uncomfy/confused 👍
 
Last year I played the wedding of the chastity educator for the diocese, (she’s also written a book about it). The focus of their readings/homily was very theology of the body “This is my body given for you”. The gospel was the last supper. VERY cool.
Do you remember what passages they were?
A friend of mine is gettin herself hitched, and she was wondering what passages you were talking about!
 
Do you remember what passages they were?
A friend of mine is gettin herself hitched, and she was wondering what passages you were talking about!
I have the program right here!

They were going to use the crucifixion readings, but there is way too much stuff involved in that, so they used the last supper as the gospel

Song of Songs 4:1-5, 9-16
Romans 12: 1-2, 9-12
Luke 22:7, 14-20
 
My best piece of advice is this:

No matter what readings you select for your wedding, make sure the priest has the Gospel printed in front of him with no mistaking which reading it is. We had selected the Last Supper (John? the one about laying down one’s life for one’s friends), but when the priest got up we heard all about the Salt of the Earth. Ooops. Not a big deal, and certainly not the biggest thing to go wrong that day, but we made it through 6 months so far and are going strong.

Chris
 
I have the program right here!

They were going to use the crucifixion readings, but there is way too much stuff involved in that, so they used the last supper as the gospel

Song of Songs 4:1-5, 9-16
Romans 12: 1-2, 9-12
Luke 22:7, 14-20
Danke, danke!
 
Song of Songs 4:1-5, 9-16

** Your lips are like a scarlet strand;
your mouth is lovely.
Your cheek is like a half-pomegranate
behind your veil. **

Love your wife as Christ loves his bride…the Church.
God Bless! and keep the faith!
 
I have the program right here!

They were going to use the crucifixion readings, but there is way too much stuff involved in that, so they used the last supper as the gospel

Song of Songs 4:1-5, 9-16
Romans 12: 1-2, 9-12
Luke 22:7, 14-20
I noticed these passages skip chunks such as Song of Songs 4:1-5 which skips to 4:9-16. Is this allowed?
 
I noticed these passages skip chunks such as Song of Songs 4:1-5 which skips to 4:9-16. Is this allowed?
If you notice, a lot of the readings in the Lectionary skip chunks of the passages. Yesterday’s Gospel account (St. Luke) of the Baptism of the Lord skipped a few lines.
 
ALL I can say is make sure that the readings you pick are the ones listed in the Rite for Marriage.
The Canadian Rite doesn’t list Song of Songs as one of the possibilities but the American material we use for Marriage Preparation does. I’ve only known 2 couples choose it in the 12 years I’ve been preparing the readings for weddings but it’s a lovely selection.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top