J
joclucsylv
Guest
Hello everyone!! Can you through out some good songs to sing during a wedding mass. Thank you!
Need more information. Do you want songs for the congregation to sing, or a soloist?Hello everyone!! Can you through out some good songs to sing during a wedding mass. Thank you!
Not the Mass of Creation, whatever you do.Hello everyone!! Can you through out some good songs to sing during a wedding mass. Thank you!
There is actually a few parishes that I know of which are putting a stop to the Mass of Creation. Our diocese was trying to phase it out a few years back as well. Since then, I haven’t had to use it much for weddings in this diocese, although in dioceses that’s a different story.Not the Mass of Creation, whatever you do.
Please give us more information though.
Well, of course, if the music director at that parish uses “The Mass of Creation” then it has to be used. I’ve used it at various parishes for weddings when that is the only thing used by that particular parish and the musicians involved. The director of worship for our diocese has worked to stop its use within the diocese, but as you said, it doesn’t break any rules if it is used. I’ve found with the Lamb of God from cantoring it through the years at more parishes than I can count that most congregations can’t easily navigate the part “who takes away the sin of the world”.If the Mass of Creation is chosen, you aren’t breaking any rules. Despite what many here have say with sarcasm, it is valid for use. Personally, I’d use a different Lamb of God, but that’s just my personal taste.
I must beg to differ. So far, I have found textual modifications in the following parts from MOC, making them illicit:If the Mass of Creation is chosen, you aren’t breaking any rules. Despite what many here have say with sarcasm, it is valid for use. Personally, I’d use a different Lamb of God, but that’s just my personal taste.
The thing is, though, I believe Haugen has updated the MOC with the correct texts as you can see here giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=11173 , so at this point it does become more of a taste issue. I personally don’t care for the music, plus I think the Agnus Dei is difficult for some congregations to sing. But unfortunately there are still many parishes which use this as their go-to mass. Many don’t even realize that there is a plethora of mass settings out there.I must beg to differ. So far, I have found textual modifications in the following parts from MOC, making them illicit:
Gloria (There is a “refrain” used)
Sanctus (God of power, God of might)
Agnus Dei (Jesus, Lamb of God, also, they’ve added tropes)
The church has made very clear that we are not to modify the texts. These modifications make it illicit to use much of the MOC.These modifications corrupt the celebration, render the liturgy unstable, and frequently distort the authentic meaning of the Liturgy. Why would we want to do that?
Sounded fine to me … who were you expecting, Maria Callas?Here is one with a more traditional arrangement, but the voice isn’t the best.
I didn’t say it was bad and nor was I expecting Maria Callas. Actually, I don’t think I’d like to hear Maria Callas singing that. It would be too much of a voice for that kind of hymn. Plus, as much as I liked her and her artistry at her peak her voice got way too wobbly by the end of her career for various reasons when she could have still been singing. Unfortunately, because I’m trained vocally and is what I do for my livelihood, my ear picks up things that most people don’t notice, so I have a more critical ear… fortunately and unfortunately. You can tell the person has had some training, but the technique isn’t solid. He/she (might be a boy singer) seems to be trying to make the sound rather than trusting in his/her instrument and hearing the sound. I’m also extremely critical on myself. Much more so than I am of others.Sounded fine to me … who were you expecting, Maria Callas?
We can’t use that setting until Advent. It’s done with the new translation.The thing is, though, I believe Haugen has updated the MOC with the correct texts as you can see here giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=11173 , so at this point it does become more of a taste issue. I personally don’t care for the music, plus I think the Agnus Dei is difficult for some congregations to sing. But unfortunately there are still many parishes which use this as their go-to mass. Many don’t even realize that there is a plethora of mass settings out there.
Yes, I know, as I have already been purchasing some of the new revisions for other masses. The text will be correct, though, and will be in use before you know it. My point was that even if I don’t like the music, when sitting down with couples to choose their music, I couldn’t use the improper text excuse, especially for couples getting married towards the end of the year and after. So, it then becomes more of a taste issue for this particular piece of music.We can’t use that setting until Advent. It’s done with the new translation.